.223/5.56 Bolt Action Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Who has them? Who likes/hates them?

Ive had a long desire for either a Ruger Gunsite Scout or a Mossberg MVP... Or something like it.

I like short barrel scout gun type designs. I like the setup of the Ruger, but not necessarily the cost for what you get. The Mossberg can be had anytime for $599, but not so sure about the action.

The CZ 527 Carbine supposedly is available in .223/5.56, and seems to have a much more beautiful Turkish Walnut stock. The Savage Hog Hunter also would fit the bill, as would the Remington 700 SPS Tactical. I wish the Tactical had a slightly longer barrel in 300BLK, as I wouldnt mind shooting that subsonic, and reloading myself.

Im leaning towards the CZ (if I can find it) or the Ruger, but was curious of thoughts and opinions.

Ill be in the market for an M1A at some point, so one of these in .308 would be viable too, but I dont think that the cost and comfort level of it would be worth it, not for a short barrel with irons.

Thoughts?

.308 is a very useful, versatile cartridge.

For plinking, go with a .223, you can get ammo cheap.

But for general purpose, you'll find that a .308 is really useful.

I've bought a lot of .223/5.56 for about .30/round. I've bought .308/7.62 for as low as .44/round, but it typically costs over .60

CZ, Tikka, and Savage make some very accurate (and affordable!) bolt action rifles in that caliber. The trigger on the Tikka T3 is even better than the impressive "Accutrigger" of Savage.

Last edited:
I had (and loved) a Remington 700 LTR DM in .308. I shot the .223 as well. If you're wanting something with a shorter barrel and great aftermarket support, that's the way to go. I think it's renamed now, but it had a fluted 20" bull barrel and heavy synthetic stock.

I had my Remington 700 PSS in .308 out today, and enjoyed it as always. I have a couple of lower-end Mossbergs, and am not particularly impressed by the clunky feeling actions, but neither of them are a bolt action, to be fair.

Thanks!

Im a tall/sturdy/muscular person, so Im not sure the ca 3x recoil of a .308 is all that much of an issue... Any comments on comfort? I would likely use it on range days with M1A and AR rifles as well.

For a short barrel rifle, shooting out to maybe 200 yds, does .308 really matter?

I have 4 Remingtons, 2 VSSF but they are bit on the long side 26 inches with the very good stocks and a simple receiver bedding and good optic one can shoot it if you can see it, a 600 that is more the hunter in 308, and a simple black heavy barrel 223.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Thanks!

Im a tall/sturdy/muscular person, so Im not sure the ca 3x recoil of a .308 is all that much of an issue... Any comments on comfort? I would likely use it on range days with M1A and AR rifles as well.

For a short barrel rifle, shooting out to maybe 200 yds, does .308 really matter?

For shooting to 200 yards, the .308 will cost a lot more to feed than the .223. A .223 will shoot to 200 yards with no problem at all, and for a lot less than the .308. I have both. Reloading for a .223 is going to be a lot less than reloading for the .308 too, should you decide to go that route.

If you get a .308 and want to have some fun, get a 20 MOA Picatinny rail and a good scope and shoot out to a 1,000 yards with it.

I like the Remington 700 PSS or Varmint series stainless steel rifles, which should come in both those calibers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

If you get a .308 and want to have some fun, get a 20 MOA Picatinny rail and a good scope and shoot out to a 1,000 yards with it.

Id love to ultimately get there. Not sure if it is practical with ~18" barrel scout rifles. I hope to go 600+ when I get and optimize my M1A. Before then I need to finish a 20" AR build and try that for distance.

I've got a CZ527 classic.

Shoots under an inch with AR2206 powder and 60gr V-Maxs (going to go to A-Max next time I get to the reloading bench), and playing a couple of Saturday afternoons (long time ago) with the Full Bore/F-Class shooters at our range, everything would land in 10" at 600 yards.

Set trigger FTW.

The magazine is not much fun, however.

Edit, oh, and the CZ being made by the military rifle factory has a really long throat...nothing you can do will ever toucj the lands, no pressure issues with surplus ammo.

Last edited:
I have 2 bolt action .223 / 5.56 MM rifles. A CZ 527 LUX, and a Marlin X-7 that I bought about a year ago. Both are very accurate, good shooting rifles. I scoped the CZ with a Leupold VX-II 3-9X 40 MM in CZ all steel rings. The Marlin has a Nikon P-223 4-12X 40MM in Burris Signature Zee Rings, and Warne 2 piece steel bases. I replaced the cheap injection molded plastic stock on the Marlin with a nice Laminated Thumbhole Model from Boyd's. It's an excellent stock, and it fit perfectly.

The CZ has a detachable magazine, and some find that a plus. But if you're going to be doing a lot of shooting, I think the hinged floorplate on the Marlin is better. It's faster and easier to load from the top at the range, rather than having to be constantly removing and reinserting the magazine. Also, magazines for the CZ are a bit on the expensive side. And all 3 of mine, (including the original that came with the rifle), required the feed lips to be polished in order to feed easily, and without scratching the cases. Once that was accomplished, the action on the CZ was a bit smoother, and easier to cycle than the Marlin. I don't care for the cheap, non detachable sling swivels on the CZ. For what they charge for that gun it should come with detachable posts.

The CZ has a set trigger. I'm not keen on the fact that in order to set it you have to push the trigger forward before you pull it. That's a completely unnatural action I'll never get used to, simply because I don't have another gun that works that way. If you don't activate the set trigger, it works normally. Albeit with a harder pull. The CZ has a controlled round feed "Mini Mauser" action. While the Marlin is a push feed design. The Marlin is still quite new. I think after a few hundred rounds more through it, that it should slick up a bit more. Of the 2 the Marlin is a bit more accurate with 62 Gr. Sierra's seated .020 to .030 off the lands. As Shannow mentioned, the CZ has a throat that's too long to seat handloads that far out.

I have a Savage Axis XP .308 and love it. Was one of the cheaper ones but shoots straight out of the box. My other one is a Howa Hogue 30.06 this is a fairly heavy gun compared to the Savage but I like the fit and finish and smoothness of the action better than the Savage.

No one has mentioned this yet, but the Howa 1500 series of rifles are very good shooters and can be had in either 308 or 223.

Savage 10 series are excellent. My 10 FCP-K is a tack-driver, as was my 10PC in .223. It had a short heavy barrel, like what you are looking for.

I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout in 556/223. It is a handy nice little rifle. I also like the short barrel. I would have to agree with ASTRO 14 that the 308 caliber is probably the better all around choice. If you are looking to get an M1A in the future then there is your 308 caliber rifle. What ever else you decide on get in 556/223. I do like the Gunsite Scout in 556/223. No regrets.

Originally Posted By: sgtrockjoe
I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout in 556/223. It is a handy nice little rifle. I also like the short barrel. I would have to agree with ASTRO 14 that the 308 caliber is probably the better all around choice. If you are looking to get an M1A in the future then there is your 308 caliber rifle. What ever else you decide on get in 556/223. I do like the Gunsite Scout in 556/223. No regrets.

Even if I get a .308, and even if its a better round, for hitting steel or paper at the range at 100-200 yds, .223 is the more cost effective, and lower recoil option. That means more shooting.

If I decide to get into reloading, that may change things...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Id love to ultimately get there. Not sure if it is practical with ~18" barrel scout rifles. I hope to go 600+ when I get and optimize my M1A. Before then I need to finish a 20" AR build and try that for distance.

The shortest barrel I use for 1000 yards is 26". I tried 24", and believe it or not the extra 2" makes a difference. My 6.5 x 284 barrel is 30" long and is absolutely amazing at that distance. I'm sure if you shoot out to 1K yards you'll love it.

Since folks are regularly shooting well tuned AR's in competition beyond 200 yds, why not an AR style to go along with your M1A... Just a thought.

Well built 556NATO flat top AR's with match grade barrels and floated forends are not that hard to come by. I'm much more into wood and blue steel than plastic and aluminum. But I can see a place for an accurate AR. I think I'll be building my first one since Army days back in the '70s... Lots of trick parts and good triggers, etc.

I was looking for a possible scope for that future AR build and I dropped by a LGS that sells Leupold, Vortex and something else. I was absolutely blown away by the Leupold VX-R Patrol. Clear bright with real generous eye relief and a good eye box. It made my mind up on the AR build. First Leupold that truly impressed me... First one is going on an 06 bolt rifle. I want that scope
laugh.gif

To me a 223/556 bolt gun is a varmint rifle. A less expensive version of say a 22-250 ... Heavy barrel and long range glass. That build is available in either bolt or gas rifle. There are heavy barrel AR's that do varmint work very well, and they can double as target machines when asked
smile.gif

Match grade ammo is available for either 556 or 308, so it's a matter of choice. For serious target work, you either have to reload, or support you match grade maker. If you are going to reload for your M1A anyway, then I'd pair that with a bolt that does something else...

If target shooting with the M1A, then the bolt rifle can be a hunter. In that scenario sleek stock with modest scope, light weight and weatherproof would be my choice. No protruding magazine. Tikka would be high on the list. But would not rule out Browning X bolt, or a number of others ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back