ball joint, extreme pressure or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 1/2 case of Stalube lithium grease that is probably 15 yo. I loaded a tube of it into my grease gun, and just noticed that it says it is fine except where EP environments. Should I continue to grease my steering components with it? Should I go and buy a good water resistant grease and if so what do you all recommend?

No, don't use it. Chassis grease for your suspension must have EP in the formulation. Go out and buy a lithium-based grease that is rated NLGI 2 with EP additives for your chassis.

I know it kinda sucks to have a whole ½ case of grease that you can only use for bicycles and door hinges. Don't think of using it for wheel bearings either.

What's a half case?... something like 4 tubes?

To old if 15 years and possibly unstable,,,,if you want a good chassis grease use Schaeffers 274#2,as its a aluminium complex,,best,,or if lithium complex is perfered use Mystik SX-6 or their high temp,,,,or Amsoil multi-purpose #2,,,any of these are really good,,,,saw Shell Rotella grease at wally world,,it maybe also good for a thought...........BL

EP or not I think it is too old, most likley bleed a lot and dryed out use as a 5 th wheel grease or in non critical applications around the house.
bruce

brian fix offers good suggestions. Also, Mobil 1 is generally available in most locations. Another suggestion is Valvoline. I don't use it, but on the grease tubes, it states that it, depending on whether or not it's got Moly in it, meets Ford or Chrysler/GM specs. Therefore, it's going to be at least good enough that you won't have to worry about using it and it is available in a lot of outlets.

The stuff looks fine to me. Not separated, or if it is, it is very slight in the sense that a couple tubes are slightly oily. Other tubes are fine. I've got 4 more left. I've got mobil 1 grease, but that seems to separate faster than this stuff. I'll have to give it away to some guy who has a 5th wheel. I got some dark grease on my hand at the car wash and it did not want to come off. My guess is Aluminum complex with moly? It was dark and really viscous.

Stickiness does not indicate which soap is in the grease. Put Mobil 1 grease (lithium complex) on your hand, you'll get the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back