Ball Joint Boots Moog Alternative?

I have replaced the front upper control arms and lower ball joints on my 98 Expedition with Moog greaseable ball joints.
The boot on one of them is already torn off after only a year.
1) Can I replace the boots without affecting alignment or should I change before alignment? I don't see why anything should change alignment-wise.
2) Is there another better option that will fit and last? I remember struggling a little putting the boots on the control arms, it seemed like there was a ring or something molded into the top of the boot that pressed tightly onto the joint and it had to be lined up just right while pressing it on...also recalled that grease came out of the side of the boot while greasing it, instead of the little slot at the bottom...maybe I pinched it while installing it? I thought I over-greased it, but thought that is what the slot in the bottom was for.

I would believe if you just replace the boot, alignment should be ok. Change the ball joint, I would atleast check alignment.

I have replaced the front upper control arms and lower ball joints on my 98 Expedition with Moog greaseable ball joints.
The boot on one of them is already torn off after only a year.
1) Can I replace the boots without affecting alignment or should I change before alignment? I don't see why anything should change alignment-wise.
2) Is there another better option that will fit and last? I remember struggling a little putting the boots on the control arms, it seemed like there was a ring or something molded into the top of the boot that pressed tightly onto the joint and it had to be lined up just right while pressing it on...also recalled that grease came out of the side of the boot while greasing it, instead of the little slot at the bottom...maybe I pinched it while installing it? I thought I over-greased it, but thought that is what the slot in the bottom was for.
This has been a problem with Moog for years and one reason I wont use that crap anymore, you didn't pinch it. Those boots have a metal ring molded into the boot and is pressed on at the factory, the ring is not split, the machine just forces it on or in many cases tries to and fails.
Whenever you buy one of these type joints look at it very carefully, make sure the boot is tight on there and straight, press the boot in at the bottom and look for what looks like minor cut damage.
Moog told me years ago they were going to start using a new Euro style split ring boot out of poly but it never materialized, so they know about the issue and choose to do nothing about it as most failures are like yours a year or two down the road, in other words they dont give a sh...

If there is any the cut may not go all the way through the rubber but after a few greasings it will without a doubt blow out. If the boot is loose or not straight you have a real problem, these are not easy to install and you better have a couple because one is going in the trash. Moog will send you a couple if you call them (they sent me 2 years ago and I haven't used them since).
If you buy these online it can be a real issue if you don't have time for the returns game, only buy them if you must from a brick and mortar.

This has been a problem with Moog for years and one reason I wont use that crap anymore, you didn't pinch it. Those boots have a metal ring molded into the boot and is pressed on at the factory, the ring is not split, the machine just forces it on or in many cases tries to and fails.
Whenever you buy one of these type joints look at it very carefully, make sure the boot is tight on there and straight, press the boot in at the bottom and look for what looks like minor cut damage.
Moog told me years ago they were going to start using a new Euro style split ring boot out of poly but it never materialized, so they know about the issue and choose to do nothing about it as most failures are like yours a year or two down the road, in other words they dont give a sh...

If there is any the cut may not go all the way through the rubber but after a few greasings it will without a doubt blow out. If the boot is loose or not straight you have a real problem, these are not easy to install and you better have a couple because one is going in the trash. Moog will send you a couple if you call them (they sent me 2 years ago and I haven't used them since).
If you buy these online it can be a real issue if you don't have time for the returns game, only buy them if you must from a brick and mortar.
Thanks Trav,
When I got the control arms, the boots came uninstalled, I had to press them on and I thought I was doing something wrong, because why should it be so hard to do this I thought.
Obviously you have experience with these, Is there any aftermarket alternative that would fit, or am I locked into Moog replacement boots?

Only reason I went with Moog, was the joint came with a grease fitting, whereas Motorcraft did not. Price was comparable. Thought I was doing a good thing.
Should have gone Motorcraft, original lasted over 200k miles.

What a pain Moog is...So far, I have contacted customer service and they say I needed to get warranty replacement from where I bought the part (Rock Auto). Rock Auto only has a replacement option, which requires me to remove the entire control arm, send it back and they will send me a new one. (Not sure who pays for that shipping and packaging when all I need is an inexpensive boot. After explaining that all I want is the boot, they consulted a manager who told me to contact [email protected], which I did. Now I am getting the same run around.
Could it be so hard to just send out a boot that is known to fail anyways? Apparently, when you are a large company with a set protocol, it is.
Grrr...

That sucks, I with I had the number they gave me to call when I got 2 from them, it was to one of the warehouses. Try calling Moog again and ask for a manger. Tell the it is a customer vehicle and cant be tied up for a week for a simple rubber boot and someone on a large forum told you they get theirs by calling.
Do not threaten to post your problem online that is enough to let them know your are talking about your trouble with others online.

What a pain Moog is...So far, I have contacted customer service and they say I needed to get warranty replacement from where I bought the part (Rock Auto). Rock Auto only has a replacement option, which requires me to remove the entire control arm, send it back and they will send me a new one. (Not sure who pays for that shipping and packaging when all I need is an inexpensive boot. After explaining that all I want is the boot, they consulted a manager who told me to contact [email protected], which I did. Now I am getting the same run around.
Could it be so hard to just send out a boot that is known to fail anyways? Apparently, when you are a large company with a set protocol, it is.
Grrr...

That's the problem dealing with any big corporation. They have strict procedures for everything, and pretty much no one ever asks for a simple replacement boot. So their whole warranty system is designed around going through formal channels to do a return + replacement. Not only that, but the customer service rep likely has no idea which internal department would even supply a replacement boot.

Try autozone. They sell a universal boot that might fit in their help section. I have good experience with greaseable joints. I always replace the factory non greaseable with a greaseable joint. I maintain them with regular greasing. I have no problems.

Try autozone. They sell a universal boot that might fit in their help section. I have good experience with greaseable joints. I always replace the factory non greaseable with a greaseable joint. I maintain them with regular greasing. I have no problems.
I used a universal boot on moog UB joint on my 01 F150. Didn’t fit perfect but worked fine for a few years. I always recommend contacting the manufacturer like you did. Some harassment and they usually help you out. Covid times seems to have given customer service people a whatever attitude and will just send you what you need at no cost

I strongly agree, LFL is best, the problem with fittings is, using the correct lubricant and pumping it slowly so as not to blow out the boot, IF you do it right they do work fine

Back