Baldwin B5134 Coolant Filter Cut Open

About 750 or so miles on it and about 2 months. When I initially installed the filter it plugged immediately so It took it back off and washed it out, tons of crud came out when I did that then!

The car is a 99 grand marquis which is in great shape except it had the original what used to be green coolant in it when I got it. I've flushed the system 3 times now and put all new hoses on and a new water pump as well as a overflow tank for preventative maintenance and converted to G-05 coolant. This system was nasty.

91859703_296794181332890_5973745122947366912_n.jpg

91873018_218043646177006_7899843728192307200_n.jpg

Last edited:
I used a Moeller fuel filter base with the 11/16 threads. Only reason I chose that is I use that filter for a fuel filter for my truck and kept the fuel filter it came with as a spare, plus it was cheaper than the other coolant filter bases. Worked out really well.

Remove and backflush the radiator to get a lot of material out,

Also run the engine with a hosepipe stuffed into the waterpump, let it through the block and spew out before re-entering the rad.

Originally Posted by FordFETruck
I used a Moeller fuel filter base with the 11/16 threads. Only reason I chose that is I use that filter for a fuel filter for my truck and kept the fuel filter it came with as a spare, plus it was cheaper than the other coolant filter bases. Worked out really well.

Very good write up and pictures. What filter did you pit back on? Thank You sir
laugh.gif

Wix 24019 filter base

Wix coolant filter
24069, short
24070, long

Do not use 24071-24075, they have additives in them...

Look on Rock Auto for good prices, but watch the shipping...

I never heard of a coolant filter. Obviously this is something you did to clean the system. Can you do another post on how you did it. I have many vehicles, some with alot of crude. It's hard to get it all out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mpack88
I never heard of a coolant filter. Obviously this is something you did to clean the system. Can you do another post on how you did it. I have many vehicles, some with alot of crude. It's hard to get it all out.

They are common on heavy trucks. Excess material circulating the system can affect the cylinder liners among other things. Things are different when you are trying to get a million miles out of a engine rebuild.

Some of us have installed them in other vehicles because they do help when you have a poorly or never maintained cooling system.
Ive posted some pics in this thread about putting one on my Crown Vic.

Back