Bad Ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in question is the S10.

Driving to work last night all of a sudden the dash and lights went dim, radio popped, and then all the warning lights lit up and went off like a normal key cycle. This did this several times, but the vehicle never stalled out, and restarted fine. Coming home it seemed to happen sporadically, but mostly only on left turns? I jiggled the ignition hard and it did not do it. Engine never cut out or stalled. I looked and it appears the ground going from the engine to body looks like it has a case of some green corrosion on it near the engine block. I pulled on it, but still seems attached. Does this sound like possibly a ground issue?

Originally Posted by JamesBond
Out of gas? Alternator belt slipping when you load up the power steering?

....that's actually an interesting thought. I believe the tensioner has been making a little bit of noise for a while now, but does have a new belt. Come to think of it this did start after hitting a puddle, but didn't think much of it because I've hit bigger. I won't have a chance to look much further until Sunday some time.

I'll go against the grain and suggest that the battery's loose, it's connection is loose, or it's got internal issues of some sort.

You may be able to run the motor, grab the main harness, and tug on it to cause your issue.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I'll go against the grain and suggest that the battery's loose, it's connection is loose, or it's got internal issues of some sort.

You may be able to run the motor, grab the main harness, and tug on it to cause your issue.

Another great point. The battery got slammed hard when I hit the guardrail and it just might now be rearing it's ugly head. I got the battery and connections secure, but you got a point. It's going on 3 years on a Autozone cheapie, so it might be time for a replacement anyways...

I had a similar problem for a number of months on my '06 Grand Cherokee. After researching some Jeep sites I eventually changed the ignition switch and that did the trick.

It never happened again for the rest of the 5 or 6 years that I had the truck.

This green corrosion is on my starter relay. I was having intermittnet no cranking when I turned the key. It was tight and tested perfectly fine on a multimeter before I moved it, and after.

[Linked Image]

But I replaced that red wire with green corrosion with a new contact, and the problem was resolved.

Do not assume any wire with green corrosion on it, amd which still appears to be tight, is fine, especially when it is a ground wire.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
You did say that you played around with the ignition switch and the symptoms went away.

For clarification, playing around with the ignition did not make the problem go away, nor did it get worse.

So I had a chance to look into this a little bit further. I replaced the engine to body ground that was pretty cruddy, and while I was under there noticed two smaller wires that were almost corroded all the way off. Fixed those and it did not fix the problem, but there was an issue that needed fixed, so didn't do everything for nothing.

I've noticed on hard right hand turns the radio would go out, HVAC cuts off, the brake and abs light would pop on for a second. On hard left hand turns all the dash lights would pop on and off and the radio go off, and HVAC go off and on. Got to thinking and without touching the clutch I gently turned the ignition like I was starting it. Brake and abs light, radio, etc.. Hmmm. Held it down for a second and behold the hard left symptoms. So it appears I may have found the issue and need to replace ignition parts.

So I thought I had the problem fixed as I found the wires to the clutch switched had been played with before. Repaired those and on my test drive I noticed everything was ok. Decided to take the truck on a longer journey to double check and this is where things went haywire.

The trip to where I was going there was no issues, but coming back it started doing it. After a while it started doing it everytime I hit a bump, and now it will do it on acceleration. I can hear something electrical "shorting" under the hood and even seen a spark fly! It appears the positive lead going to the alternator is tight. Would an alternator shorting out internally do this? My whining noise might have been the alternator bearings going kaput?

Here's a quick video pulling out of the garage (yea I accidentally started to spin at the end, lol):

https://youtu.be/9vL6Ccevqn8

if its happening when the car is moving about then its got to be some sort of electrical connection issue somewhere. either a wire is coming loose or is just shorting out to something. id suspect its a loose wire since those symptoms in the video are usually to do with dodgey connections.

Ok, problem fixed, but it was interesting getting there!

Took the belt off and spun the alternator; it felt like garbage, so I figured it was the issue. Removed, replaced, and started the truck. All seemed ok till I revved the engine, the lights dimmed again, but nothing like before until I moved the truck. Again, dash was lit up like a Christmas tree, so I went to the engine bay and revved the engine. Big ball of sparks flew! Turned the truck off and inspected the wiring behind the engine as the wire loom had disintegrated and was falling off. Didn't find any bad wires (did find an old spark plug boot, wt...) but I noticed a metal shield that had came loose. Sure enough it was on one of the leads and shorting to ground. I assume this is an ignition on wire, but none the less I removed it and all is good.

Here's the culprit:

[Linked Image]

Yea that hole is where it was arcing. I'm pretty sure I was close to setting the truck on fire with all the oil in that vicinity from a RMS leak. I may have not needed to replace the Alternator, but the bearing felt like garbage, so it was probably time... I did replace the section of wire loom as well. Just glad I can drive the truck again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back