Bad engine block casting?

That's part of the front timing cover and not really a stressed area of the block. I suspect your engine just uses a bit of oil and probably always will just because. Enjoy the car.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I appreciate your input.

After the comments/questions about the hole, I did go back and take a closer look. I have to apologize, it was a bad angle. The "hole" was actually just an indentation with some crud in it. After scrubbing it off, it looks just as great as the rest of the casting in that area. An embarrassing first post on my part!

I hope the spiderwebbing in the photo really just looks worse than it is. I'll leave it alone and mention it to the dealer.

To answer some of the questions above, I haven't noticed any oil leakage anywhere, yet. Here's the location of the above photo on the engine.
View attachment 142079
+1 it is only the timing cover not the block, not something to worry about.

Nothing to worry about, even the ultra expensive cars are made the same way from the same junk materials.
Do the junk materials work? Sure. Do they last? Just search online for all the problems everyone has with all the vehicles since junk materials and
crap engineering entered the auto manufacturing world. Most all manufactures have uncountable recalls for all the problems, such manufacturing practices have caused. When did it start? 80's to now? Problems with fuel burning engines will end when "they" get their wish and eliminate them.

Back