Bad engine block casting?

Hi BITOG!

Long term lurker, first time posting. Bought a KIA Telluride a couple of years ago (MY2021). Do all my own maintenance and have had no issues with it so far aside from a little oil consumption (not the worst I've seen on a modern DI engine).

Today I was topping off a little of that consumed oil and checking other fluids when I noticed something for the first time. It looks like one side of the engine block is pretty badly cast. To the point where there is a small hole in one spot! Here's a photo:

What do you think? Should I be concerned about this long term?
IMG_5588 - Copy.jpg

I remember when KIA made bikes, I got a 3 speed, and my friend got a 5 speed Schwinn. My advice, check the oil level once a week, make sure your phone is charged up before you go out in the car.

I have never cast aluminum, but I have cast a lot of lead. The mottled look comes from the mold, aluminum, or both not being hot enough. The aluminum froze almost instantly, instead of flowing nicely into the mold, then freezing.

Will this defect cause any harm? I don't know, but it seems of lower quality.

Last edited:
Welcome to BITOG.

Is it leaking any oil at the area in question?
Did you take it to the Dealer and show them?

The Dealer may just call it a blemish in the casting and NOT do anything if it's NOT leaking oil.
But, as Rand wrote, "that looks less than... great".

I have never cast aluminum, but I have cast a lot of lead. The mottled look comes from the mold, aluminum, or both not being hot enough. The aluminum froze almost instantly, instead of flowing nicely into the mold, then freezing.

Will this defect cause any harm? I don't know, but it seems of lower quality.
@wwillson, Hi! You didn't seem to address the hole, or is that defect part of what you described?

If it is not leaking I would be concerned that something might get in through the hole. Seal it with some silicone and keep an eye on it.

Good point about not addressing the hole.

If the hole isn't leaking now, it probably won't.
Fair enough. To me, probably not means about the same as it's possible. What would encourage that spot to leak? How thick it is? The number of heat/pressure cycles the area goes through? The extremes of those cycles?

Would it be possible to reinforce that area? Perhaps my adding and fusing more material to the area? Some kind of epoxy? Perhaps this: Lock-N-Stitch repair system.

For some reason, this has captured my attention, and I'd like to learn a little more about the problems and potentials of such an issue. Anything you could add would be great.

Hi BITOG!

Long term lurker, first time posting. Bought a KIA Telluride a couple of years ago (MY2021). Do all my own maintenance and have had no issues with it so far aside from a little oil consumption (not the worst I've seen on a modern DI engine).

Today I was topping off a little of that consumed oil and checking other fluids when I noticed something for the first time.
It looks like one side of the engine block is pretty badly cast. To the point where there is a small hole in one spot! Here's a photo:

Does this hole go completely through the block or is it just a deep-ish indentation? What's on the other side of the area?

I would not worry about the casting hole, its not leaking. I would do nothing, but you could spray it with carb cleaner and use epoxy , or if its accessible go crazy and use an aluminum filler rod. I wouldn't.

Like Rand said, that looks less than great.

I’d take it to the dealer. I doubt they’ll do anything about it, but at least it will be documented in case something happens down the road.

Hi BITOG!

Today I was topping off a little of that consumed oil and checking other fluids when I noticed something for the first time. It looks like one side of the engine block is pretty badly cast. To the point where there is a small hole in one spot! Here's a photo:

View attachment 142034
Do you have a larger picture of the location of this part overall? Is this a timing cover?

Are you talking about the little black dot? If so, it may not be a hole. Unfold a paper clip and try to stick in the perceived hole.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I appreciate your input.

After the comments/questions about the hole, I did go back and take a closer look. I have to apologize, it was a bad angle. The "hole" was actually just an indentation with some crud in it. After scrubbing it off, it looks just as great as the rest of the casting in that area. An embarrassing first post on my part!

I hope the spiderwebbing in the photo really just looks worse than it is. I'll leave it alone and mention it to the dealer.

To answer some of the questions above, I haven't noticed any oil leakage anywhere, yet. Here's the location of the above photo on the engine.
s-l1600.jpg

Back