Backup Generator for entire house

Hello, Just starting to shop generators. This one https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champio...e-Powered-Portable-Generator-201004/315273522 / caught my eye. I like the remote start feature. Any other units to consider in the $1200.00 & under price range? Want to get a power transfer or interlock switch installed as well. Thanks P.S. House is 1800 sq ft. / 3 person dwelling, well & septic 1 refrigerator.
Does your current home have natural gas?

Do you have central AC or plan to install?

Electric Generators Direct has various models.

The model below is dual fuel gas/ propane.

I went thru two extended outages in my life one 12 days another 8 days. Both times I had gas generator and just getting fuel topping off etc was a pain in the ass. I learned the hard way and purchased a tri fuel that I run off natural gas.

These large generators consume a lot of gasoline.

If I didn't want to go propane or natural gas I would get small unit just to satisfy my essentials that sips gasoline not a large unit that gulbs it down.

Attachments

• Generator.jpg
    Generator.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The open frame, 3600 rpm generators can (are) loud as compared to an invertor generator. Downside of an invertor generator is power for cost and electronics reliability fear from china manufactures. If you need 240 volt for well pump and other appliances, choices are limited for invertor generator. I purchased a 3000 watt invertor generator to power home lights and oil furnace heater for night use due to noise from my 7000 watt whole house open frame generator. If I need well water, water heater and microwave during the daylight hours, then I use loud Honda generator.

Hello, Just starting to shop generators. This one https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champio...e-Powered-Portable-Generator-201004/315273522 / caught my eye. I like the remote start feature. Any other units to consider in the $1200.00 & under price range? Want to get a power transfer or interlock switch installed as well. Thanks P.S. House is 1800 sq ft. / 3 person dwelling, well & septic 1 refrigerator.
I think the answer to your question all boils down to the startup demands of your well pump. You didn't mention the kitchen range or the hot water heater, but presumably you want to run them as well. Those are pure resistive loads, meaning no startup surge to worry about.

FWIIW I am able to run two refrigerators, a chest freezer, a dishwasher and some other odds and ends on 3000 watts. The highest output I have seen was 2850 watts when the dishwasher entered the heated dry cycle.

and just getting fuel topping off etc was a pain in the ass.

That is a fact. My friend has a 6000W Honda and it is a trip to the gas station daily with many jerry cans; if there is a wide regional outage like for Henri, the gas station may be out or power or gas or everyone else is there, requiring a longer drive.

If she were to do it over. A propane powered one with a very large tank is the most convenient.

Reactions: JC1
If you are without power for a long period of time it may be likely that a fuel source also is without power. Another factor to throw into the equation.

I don't have a well, so I get away with a small Honda EU2000i inverter generator. We have a natural gas water heater and furnace. The little generator runs the fridge, furnace, sump pump, freezer, internet, TV and many lights.

The well pump will be the driving factor in what size generator you need. For gas economy, many people have two generators, one big and one small. Only run the big gas hog generator 10% of the time when you want to take a shower or do laundry. Then run the little generator for 90% of the time.

We do have an electric stove/oven and microwave. When power is out, I bring in a two burner propane camp stove to cook on. If we want to use the microwave, I just make sure the furnace is not on and it works fine. Minor inconvenience. We can do laundry with the small generator, but only can run either the washer or natural gas dryer, but not both at the same time.

Been using a 5600w / 8000 surge Craftsman E start B/S motor unit for years now with a manual transfer setup so it's wife friendly.
Runs well, oil fired boiler, fridge, 2 Sat TV's, small window a/c in bedroom, etc. . All LED bulbs in the house also.
Has load percent meter on it, most I've seen is 60% usage on constant load. Uses about 5 gal. of gas per day. Less on then less load and less gas usage.
Weekend place has a 10k Generac stationary as it's in a sub zero winter area and heat needs to be running dependably. Nothing in the house there fazes that unit.

My hesitation is it being an inverter for a more clean electricity. Just about any new appliance needs it nowadays. A 9kw Honda inverter is around $5.5k for just the unit. For me, a Generac whole house was $8k. To me, the math was easy. I also have a 1000 gal propane tank.

If I didn’t need 240v, the 3kw Honda inverter would have been considered, but a 10k Generac “whole house” (essential use) would have been $5k.

I run a B&S 2200 watt inverter gen that powers, lights, fans, TV, computers and refrigerator. Runs about 6 hours at the load listed and it is very quiet compared to neighbor's 3,000 watt non-inverter. I have no access to Nat gas and propane is expensive in small tanks. Ed

Fuel consumption is the main consideration. If you are not going to run it more than a few hours a day to keep the food fresh and to turn on well pump then it shouldn't be an issue for the most part. Here since natural gas isn't everywhere, people burned through a 500 gallon propane tank in 5 days. But then they ran 24/7. Most get a 500 propane and bury it, some even do two.

Just for curiosity I checked and to get the smallest whole home generator and a 500 gallon propane tank and bury it the whole cost was going to run close to $10k. Being right by the coast of NC and Wilmington being the hurricane magnet I wanted to see what the cost was. I just basically opted for my 10,000 watt start up, 8,000 portable Generac, put in an interloc switch and used the existing wiring to the box from the hot tub connection, which was on a 60amp breaker. We got rid of the hot tub.

I got it all out and connected for the first time this June when the first hurricane looked like it was heading this way. Ran the the entire house, well pump, pool pump and all no issues. I just didn't bother to try to run the HVAC. I figure we could live in the one room that has a window unit. That's a whole other story. LOL

What heat do you use? Gas?

I have a couple of outages a year, usually winter and from high winds summer storms( residual hurricane/tornadoes)

I also have a well that requires 240v. Since i can be out for several days. I use a small Harbor freight 4375 unit. It was the smallest engine 240v genset i could find at the time.

It will run about 15 1/2 hours on 4 gallons. I run a fridge, gas furnace, lights( house lights are now all led), and the well pump. I don't want to burn up the well pump motor. So i cycle the well pump when i need it, with the furnace off. If i want to use the oven, or cooktop, i turn off the furnace and well pump while i cook.

Its economical to be out of power for say 3 days and still only use 20 gallons of gas for those 3 days, running the generator around the clock.

Do your homework first. What appliances are must haves? Add up their starting load and running load?

Your well, 2 or 3 wire? Three wire is less starting load.

Do you need automatic cutover or can it wait until you connect and start up generator? Automatic transfer switch is expensive.

Fuel. Gasoline is a PIA to keep enough to run for several days. And a place to keep it. Not in an attached garage. The best in my mind is propane. I bought a 100 gallon (not pound) tank on Craigslist for my generator. No fuel turning to gum in carburetor. No choke to start. No gas company turning off natural gas due to fires in area.

The best generator for a true whole house would be a 1600 RPM water cooled with a 500 gal propane tank.

I went through this early this year. My choice after a lot of consideration were 2 Westinghouse 9,500 Watt Dual Fuel Models. I likes the features. (high wattage output, dual fuel compatible, electric remote starting, automatic choke, and plenty of outlets to distribute the load). The price was excellent for what they offered. I purchased one from Lowe's, and one from Home Depot. Both had a good price and a good delivery and return policy.

I bought from both outfits because they were hard to find in stock. Now it appears they are becoming more available. I looked at the big Westinghouse V-Twin model, but I ended up getting 2, 9,500 Watt models for less than what one 12,000 watt V-Twin would have cost. It was the better buy. More power for less money.

If you look at the various brands, the dynamo's all look identical, and the engines are all Honda clones. My guess is they're all manufactured in China at some big industrial complex, then branded and featured under contract by whoever is buying them. Be it Westinghouse, Duo-Max, Champion, etc.

Both of mine have been excellent, and started right up, and run like scalded dogs. I took the time to break in both of them carefully, gradually increasing the load. They're both ready for their first oil change, so today or tomorrow I'll get rid of the 10W-30, and go with Mobil 1 15W-50.

It gets really hot here in the Summer, and that is when we're most likely to experience power outages. With 19 KW available between both units, I shouldn't have any issues. And with 2 units it's nice to have the redundancy should one go out. I still need to get the house wired with transfer switches, etc. That will be next.

If you're on the fence about buying a generator, I would suggest acting quickly. With this New Orleans hurricane putting well over a MILLION people without power, generators are going to be in short supply. And very hard to come by. Especially from the big box suppliers.

Back