Backfire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy brought his (rust bucket 1990 Toyota) work truck into our shop today so we could do some minor repairs. We fixed an oil leak and put a new P/S belt on. He asked about de-greasing the engine so I handed him a can of degreaser and a hose. I had some other things to finish, so I told him to spray it down but keep the hose away from the alternator and distributor cap.

I came back a few minutes later and saw that the distributor cap was indeed wet. Whatever. So he jumps in and starts cranking away. Doesn't start. I ask him if he got the distributor cap wet. "Not really". Ok. Crank some more, it starts and then dies. Crank it some mo....BOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!

Cloud of rust from under the truck. Look around the shop to make sure the old-timers aren't clutching their chest. Look under the truck to see that the backfire had blown the outer skin completely off the resonator!! It was so LOUD that people on the show floor heard it clearly. After about 10 seconds of adrenal rush I start to
crackmeup2.gif
and even hours later I'm still laughing about it. I would have taken pics, but was laughing so hard I didn't even think about it.

Dried off the underside of the distributor cap and it was good to go, albeit a decent amount louder than before. So to all those owners of cars with distributor caps, keep the hose away if you want to keep your muffler (and the underwear you're wearing!!)

Haha!

one time i had the same thing happen to me.... almost.

I went to start the 89 Cougar 3.8, and right when i went to engage the starter, i heard this explosion that was so loud, it sounded like someone fired a large gun, right under the hood. blue smoke comes out of the engine compartment... I pop the hood to see whats up, all looks fine, So i try it again.

It started, but sounded so loud, just like a loud PUT PUT PUT.

I drive back home, like 40 miles with this sound. park the car. I deal with this sound for weeks!

one day, i have the hood open, and see a spark plug wire, just hanging down, (Rear right Cyl) I pick up the wire, and the WHOLE spark plug is still attached!! So i take the plug off the wire, put the plug back in the engine, put the wire on, prey, then start the car.... Ran 100%.....

I was always adding coolant to it, (Water)

The only thing i can think of, is the head gasket was giving out on it, and it leaked coolant in the Cyl, then when i went to start the car, the cyl could not compress the liquid, and blew the spark plug out?? Just a guess. The car did have 199K miles on it.... I had to junk it, because it was rusting away, was VERY had to get started, and Ran really bad till warmed up...
But once warmed, It purred like a kitten, LOL.

This car DID not want to give out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back