Back to BlackBerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a Motorola Droid 2 on Verizon Wireless. I enthusiastically moved to the Android platform from an older BlackBerry Curve close to a year ago. I initially was very impressed with the Android device and loved playing with the various apps available for it, but have lost interest in it. One of my biggest gripes is the physical keyboard. It’s one of the only Android phones with a physical keyboard, but it’s still not ideal. I loved my old BB’s keyboard, and could one-hand-type extremely well on it. You can’t really one-hand this Droid 2. And I’ve got to have a physical keyboard. That’s simply a pre-requisite.

So I think I want to go back to a BB. A co-worker has a Bold with Verizon, and she’s got full GPS capability with it and has the Google Navigation software (which I really want to have). My old Curve either did not have a GPS receiver or that functionality was disabled by Verizon. So I’ve come to find out that I can move back to the BB platform and still retain the GPS capability that I was missing with the Curve. Plus, the Bold has much better screen resolution compared with the Curve, and it’s got BB 6 OS, which I rather like.

So after all that, here’s my question. Are there other BB models that have the GPS functionality in the Verizon world? The phone specs page on Verizon’s website doesn’t seem to explicitly list the GPS receiver for any phones, so it’s hard to know which ones have it and which ones don’t.

Thanks!

Yes, my Droid 2 has Google Navigation, and it works great. That was one of the big reasons why I switched; my Curve couldn't do that. But the Bold does, so it's getting my attention.

And actually, contrary to this thread title, I've also thought about an LG Ally. It's not as powerful as the Droid 2 (I don't use the power anyway), but it has what I believe to be a better physical keyboard. Unfortunately, there are very few Android phones with a physical keyboard.

Samsung Epic has a nice keyboard in the Droid platform. I wouldn't give .02 for a BB, but if you like it, the Bold isn't horrible. Since you want a keyboard, the iPhone is out, but as far as on screen keyboards, it's very good.

BlackBerry is hard to beat for calling & email/texting. Great call quality and easy to type on.

I'd considered going to to BB too since I'm not a big app user, save for Google Maps. I'm still waiting for the Droid Bionic before I get off my Droid 1.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
So after all that, here’s my question. Are there other BB models that have the GPS functionality in the Verizon world?
Thanks!

Bold, Curve 9330, and Storm2 all have built-in GPS.

As for the physical keyboard, I agree BB has it figured out the best. When I got my Android phone, I thought I'd need a physical keyboard, so I went with Droid2 as well, but in fact I never use the physical keyboard. I either use the on-screen one or just speech-to-text if I need to type up a longer message.

With that said, I've had a rather bad experience with Droid2 and can't wait to ditch it for something else.

I've tried many-a-time to not use the physical keyboard, but after a few minutes, I slide that 'board back out. This is my second Droid 2...first replaced under warranty. I'm not all that impressed with the device itself. Android is fine, but this device isn't that great in my opinion.

I have downloaded a number of keyboards. I've come to the conclusion that since I can't feel the keys, it'll be hard for me to be comfortable with virtual keyboards.

The big difference with BB keyboard is that you can type with one hand. You can't do that with either the virtual keyboard or the big honky Droid2 slide-out keyboard.

The new 9700 series with OS 7 is supposed to be out by the end of 3rd quarter. I'd wait for that. I upgraded from the Tour to the Bold to gain BB OS6, wifi, and more memory, but the phone is pretty slow and lackluster. I too prefer the BB keyboard over all others, and there's no denying the BB's ability to perform simple functions quickly, but where multimedia is concerned, the Bold I still lacking.

Also, even though OS 6 is supposed to have an ultra fast webkit browser (I think that's what they called it,) it's still only as fast as my old Tour running Opera Mini. Opera Mini isn't compatible with any of the touchpads, so you're stuck with the adequate BB browser. This was a major disappointment for me, and the marginal upgrade from the Tour would not have been justifiable had I known OS 6 wouldn't be as game-changing as I'd thought. It is great compared to OS 5, but not compared to Android and the iPhone.

I'm hoping the 9700 with OS 7 will prove to be successful. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'll be sticking with BB when I'm do for a new phone at the end of the year.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Also, even though OS 6 is supposed to have an ultra fast webkit browser (I think that's what they called it,) it's still only as fast as my old Tour running Opera Mini. Opera Mini isn't compatible with any of the touchpads, so you're stuck with the adequate BB browser. This was a major disappointment for me, and the marginal upgrade from the Tour would not have been justifiable had I known OS 6 wouldn't be as game-changing as I'd thought. It is great compared to OS 5, but not compared to Android and the iPhone.

Yeah, the Verizon people tried to sell me on OS6 when it first came out, but I was not impressed with it at all. I haven't spent much time using it, but at first glance, it did not seem all that different from OS5. Browsing was still very slow, at least compared to Android.

Matt, thanks for the heads-up on OS 7. I do very little browsing on my phone, but when I do, I would like speed. The Curve was okay, but its browser (with OS 4.x) obviously wasn't on-par with Android. I understand OS 6 is much improved, and OS 7 looks to be even better than that.

Originally Posted By: dparm
BlackBerry is hard to beat for calling... Great call quality

crackmeup2.gif

Really?

Everybody I know with a BB sounds like they're underwater when I try to talk to them, very muffled & flutter/wow distortion audio from their end.

Well some of it is dependent on the carrier/reception, but IMO the call quality on BB is outstanding. Only ones who have it beat are some of the high-end Android phones with 2/3 noise cancelling mikes.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Matt, thanks for the heads-up on OS 7. I do very little browsing on my phone, but when I do, I would like speed. The Curve was okay, but its browser (with OS 4.x) obviously wasn't on-par with Android. I understand OS 6 is much improved, and OS 7 looks to be even better than that.

If you don't browse much, then the Bold may be a good choice. It's definitely adequate, especially if you're stuck in a dead zone like I am most of the time, but have wifi available. IMO, this phone works well for me only because the simple things I like to do quickly (i.e., text, email, plan) can be done quickly.

I'm sure I'd get used to a touch screen or another type of keyboard, but I'm not sure that I'd be be able to rapid-fire type as quickly as I can with my BB. If this is your priority, then you'll save a lot of money by opting for the Bold, since the new BB's will probably come with a hefty price tag.

I do a lot of browsing, so I'm cautiously, optimistically waiting to see how well the new phones/OS perform.

Ever give Swype a try?

I was stuck on physical keyboards for quite sometime until I reluctantly changed to a touchscreen Android device last year.

A friend of mine recommended Swype for Android. I can "swype" out a full paragraph of text twice as fast as I could on a physical keyboard. Learning how to use it was quite enjoyable, the optional quick tips helped a lot.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Ever give Swype a try?

I was stuck on physical keyboards for quite sometime until I reluctantly changed to a touchscreen Android device last year.

A friend of mine recommended Swype for Android. I can "swype" out a full paragraph of text twice as fast as I could on a physical keyboard. Learning how to use it was quite enjoyable, the optional quick tips helped a lot.

My buddy showed it to me, but I haven't yet had a chance to play with it. He was a BB convert and says he loves it. When my contract is up I might take a look at the options, which might mean moving away from BB if the 9700 doesn't WOW the heck out of me.

Dumped my BB for an Android earlier this year, I don't think I could ever go back. My Android just has the touchscreen keyboard, and I have gotten used to it. The voice recognition is also great for when I am too lazy to type!

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: gomes512
Ever give Swype a try?

My buddy showed it to me, but I haven't yet had a chance to play with it. He was a BB convert and says he loves it. When my contract is up I might take a look at the options, which might mean moving away from BB if the 9700 doesn't WOW the heck out of me.

You are thinking of the 99xx series. The 9700/9780 is the current BOLD2 line-up.

The next-gen BOLD 99xx series has touchscreen AND physical keyboard 512MB RAM, 1.2Ghz CPU...etc. Should be out in the next month or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back