Back in the '80s

This thread made me remember one of the coolest street races I ever had. I had my big block, 4 speed Charger. There was this blue Mercury Monterey around. No one knew the guy and my friends always said the car was scary fast. Don’t mess with it, you will lose.
One night, I was going home. Not exactly late but the roads were empty. I stopped at a red light and this Mercury appears next to me. I said to myself holy crap. No engine revving or eye contact or anything. Light went green and we both did perfect launches. I got him out of the hole and beat him by a fender. No one was there to see it. I thought no one will ever believe this.
A couple of years later I was at some party. Don’t remember why I was there or who I was with. There was a group of guys in the corner talking about cars and one guy was talking about that race. I asked what do you know about that race? Dude said I was driving the Mercury. I almost fell over. I said I was in the Charger. Dude shook my hand and said you’re the only person to ever beat me. You won that race out of the hole.
That was one of the coolest moments ever for me.

The 80's IMHO sucked.... ugly, slow cars, a failing automotive economy and emission regulations started to get strict.
I bought only 1 car through out the 80's. 1982 Camaro. I built an engine for it a few months after owning it which only had 366whp on the DYNO But it had a great stereo system 36 speakers and 4 amplifiers. For the remainder of the 80's I just survived!

Back in the 80s I was living in this tin foil rooftop shack (about 300 sqft studio for a family of 3) on the 10/F of a building with no elevator on top of a hill that's about another 10/F high. Got a good workout everyday going home from school. It was cheap, parents saved a ton and finish the mortgage in 3 years too. Not allowed to play outside (neighbor kids in the same building were bad influence, most of them end up in gangs and graffiti all over the place) so my friends sometimes come visit me, only sometimes though. They got a good workout every single time.

Life was good despite being poor, was happy. Most importantly I didn't get any bad influence.

90s were way better, got Nintendo finally, and moved to an apartment with elevator!

Back