B3000 head replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mazda b3000 with ford Vulcan 3.0 v6. Prior owner overheated and blew the head gasket. Then he pulled the heads and let it sit a couple months so the pistons rusted in place.

We've freed up the engine with a can of liquid wrench and repeated soaks, wipe, brush. Then we put it in 3rd gear and slowly rocked it back and forth just a bit,'then a bit more... repeat until can empty lol. But the cylinders have cleaned up well and pistons are moving freely.

I've never done a head gasket before. Any advice or things to watch out for are appreciated

whats the deal with the heads? have they been checked out? it unlikely the gaskets just blew...the original heads or replacements need checked for cracks and warping or it will be a waste of time/money.

edit: looks like chris beat me by a minute..

Last edited:
We are going to check the heads out. They are most likely going to be milled. Iron heads on cast iron block... I didn't think warping was a big problem like it was with aluminum heads on iron block?

Rusted pistons,
spankme2.gif
doesn't sound good.

Hope it all works out for you.

if it was overheated to blow a head gasket, that head likely warped to do it. its also possible it didnt even have a head gasket problem, but a cracked head. whether aluminum or steel, heads easily crack when ran low on coolant or over heated. i get it you paid 500 for the truck, but doing the repair and having it just run badly and lose coolant afterwards is a waste of time. if it isnt worth doing half correctly, it isnt worth doing.

its also very possible the rings are damaged, and may have oil control issues. they were likely what was stuck to the bore

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
We are going to check the heads out. They are most likely going to be milled. Iron heads on cast iron block... I didn't think warping was a big problem like it was with aluminum heads on iron block?

Those heads crack instead of warp.

Originally Posted by PPWarrior
See if you can get a cheap used engine from a junkyard instead. I think that would be wiser in the long run.

This. Between the rusted cylinders and head sealing issues you're going to spend more than you paid and it probably still give you problems

It's a $500 truck. The eventual goal is to stuff a 302 in it. For now we just want to get it running. Doesn't need to be perfect.
Nice, how rusty is it? Rangers are valuable trucks up where the rust gets em. If you can get it running for $500 that's a score!

I don't think the rusted pistons / cylinders is that big of a deal. Liquid Wrench was a good move. Get a good torque wrench. CDI or Precision Instruments. Dip the head bolts in motor oil. Use FEL-PRO gaskets.

It's a $500 truck. The eventual goal is to stuff a 302 in it. For now we just want to get it running. Doesn't need to be perfect.

This would be a good time to stuff in the 302
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

This would be a good time to stuff in the 302
smile.gif

I would opt for a small block chevy 350
lol.gif

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Nice, how rusty is it? Rangers are valuable trucks up where the rust gets em. If you can get it running for $500 that's a score!

No rust to speak of. Spent its life south

How bad does it have to overheat to blow a head gasket or warp/crack a head?

I drove my 3.0L taurus one complete summer with the thermostat stuck shut. It never indicated it was overheating, just would ping horribly and lose power all the time. Never had any issues with coolant consumption after.

Originally Posted by Miller88
How bad does it have to overheat to blow a head gasket or warp/crack a head?

I drove my 3.0L taurus one complete summer with the thermostat stuck shut. It never indicated it was overheating, just would ping horribly and lose power all the time. Never had any issues with coolant consumption after.

I don't know. It could have been a flaw in the original gasket. PO said it overheated and blew gasket after he repaired the AC. That's all the info I have.

Time to drop in a 3.8 from a Windstar... FWD 3.8 has the same bellhousing as the Vulcan, from what I have been told. 200 hp V6 should wake it up pretty good, without OHC chain tomfoolery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back