B&S riding mower long filter short filter etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a filter for my Husqvarna riding mower. 18.5hp 540cc Intek engine. It has a short black filter on it (from factory.) I have available locally three B&S filters that have the same bases. A short black one, a short yellow one and a long black one. Short black one has # 492932s on the filter, short yellow one is marked 695396 on filter and 696854 on the box it comes in, and the long black one is marked on the filter 491056.
Short black one and long black one is $7.99... the yellow one is $10.99. All three are made in India. Quality looks quite good on all three to this partially trained eye.
Will they all three work the same on this engine? What is the deal with the screwy part numbers? Why does the yellow paint demand the premium, because it looks basically the same inside as the short black one. That yellow filter is mesmerizing me. What motor is it intended for and is there something special about it?
Do they make a LONG yellow one?
Also, I noticed Kawasaki and I think Kohler offer filters that look like they would interchange that are a dollar cheaper. Will they?
I'm thinking I want the long black one for $7.99 just for the extra capacity or should I stick with a shorty because that's what it came with when new?
I intend on going to Redline 0w-30 and a good filter in the spring. Good choice? I'm getting all the stuff together so it will be on hand.
I don't know. Can someone help me figure out this B&S filter madness? Its been driving me mad.

i run a motorcraft FL400s on my 24hp b&s lawntractor. uses the same filters as yours,

Those B&S filters are ripoffs. i run 5w30 penzoil platinum since i use it in my truck, it only takes ~2qts with the larger filter.

oil is very clean at 100 hours, Haven't needed to add a drop in over a year. Ill change it soon to some rotella gas truck 5w30 i got on sale and a super tech filter,

I use the genuine B&S filter #492932s on my 20 HP Intek twin. I order the B&S filter from the Walmart website for about the same price as the Fram or Wix filter. I think you can get even cheaper at Amazon. My experience form 2 years ago. Ed

Just find a Fram PH3614 sized filter of your choice, you will get better quality for less money. If you want a long filter for extra oil capacity, use a Fram PH3600 sized filter if space allows. If you want to go really big go PH8A, but I've yet to find a mower / engine that this will fit into.

A lot of the different sizes have to do with accessibility and amount of room for the filter depending on the engine's application. I've seen plenty of zero turn mowers and garden tractors where the engine was oriented in such a way that only a tiny filter would fit, and others where there was plenty of room for a larger filter.

The small engine filters are not worth the premium over an automotive filter. An equivalent sized Wix or Fram Ultra is a much better filter for the money, and even the cheap SuperTech filters are still adequate for small engines. I've worked on small engines for 15 years now as a side business, and I'm finding there really isn't a need for larger filters on these. Most of them hold 2 quarts or less of oil, and even with the smallest filter available it won't become full of contaminants even after being on the engine for 10 years. Also, many of these small engines with pressure lube systems run under 20 psi of oil pressure, and the only thing a larger filter will do is take longer to fill up.

Fram Ultra XG3614 is a way better filter than B&S offers and under $10 at Walmart

I'm currently using the Fram TG3614 grabbed off the clearance aisle shelf
(19 HP B&S Platinum engine)

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
i run a motorcraft FL400s on my 24hp b&s lawntractor. uses the same filters as yours,

Those B&S filters are ripoffs. i run 5w30 penzoil platinum since i use it in my truck, it only takes ~2qts with the larger filter.

oil is very clean at 100 hours, Haven't needed to add a drop in over a year. Ill change it soon to some rotella gas truck 5w30 i got on sale and a super tech filter,

I use the FL400 too. Woks fine if your hood clears the filter,.

Last edited:
The current Fram recommendation for lawn tractors is the PH4967.
If you want the smaller size filter.
It crosses to small Toyota 4 cyl. engines pre-2008.

I use a AC Delco filter on my BS Intek. It crosses with a 95 Dodge Neon filter, it's one inch longer than OEM.

I bought a dozen of Fram PH 3614 and Bosch 3330 for the lawnmowers on sale. Fit both my 21hp Briggs Intek V-Twin and 24hp Kawasaki FR651V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back