B&S Lawn mower oil type recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
This video has been viewed almost 6 million times, so there's a good chance some BITOG members have seen it, but for those who haven't it's very interesting:

"Is Synthetic Motor Oil Better For Your Car?" (Not the best title...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYkg0oDUXs8

It deals mostly with viscosity breakdown and explains how synthetic 5W-30 oil already has the properties of a 5W-30 to begin with, before the addition of additives -- while 5W-30 dino oil starts out as 5 weight and relies on the additives for the 5W-30 multi-grade designation.

Conventional 5W-30 eventually thins out, whereas synthetic retains it's viscosity rating much longer.

I found that video in this R&T article:

"What Makes Synthetic Oil Better?"

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a12007368/what-makes-synthetic-oil-better/

The article says, quote:

"When it's brand new, a 5W-30 conventional motor oil acts exactly like a 5W-30 synthetic motor oil.

Over time, however, the chemical additives used in the conventional oil to alter its properties begin to break-down, vaporize, or get used up. This means that the oil starts to return back to it's original base oil, from a 5W-30 back to a straight grade 5 oil for our example. As contaminants begin to work their way into the oil, the overall trend over a long duration is that the oil thickens across the entire spectrum. An old and used conventional 5W-30 oil behave very differently than a brand new 5W-30.

Synthetic oils work quite differently. From the start, the chemical structure is designed to match a specific multi-grade oil. That means even without additives, you could have a 5W-30 motor oil, and then certain additives like rust-inhibitors or dispersants will be added to further improve the usefulness of the oil. The result is that over time the synthetic oil does not degrade away back to a less desirable oil as conventional ones do. From a viscosity standpoint, an old 5W-30 synthetic will act pretty similar to a new 5W-30 synthetic, although likely it will be slightly thicker as a result of contaminants."

~

Conventional oil continues to be recommended by many auto and small engine mfrs, so clearly the viscosity breakdown of multi-grade dino oils is not a significant issue for most vehicles and small engines, as long as oil change intervals are followed. Honda recommends 30W / 5W-30 / or 10W-30 conventional oil up to 110*F in their air-cooled lawnmower engines -- with no mention of synthetic at all.

All I can guess is that B&S is assuming the absolute worst case when it says 5W-30 dino oil should only be used below 40*F. As the article (and video) state both types of 5W-30 start out the same. B&S must be assuming that the oil will not be changed when it should be. If it was really that bad, Honda would not recommend it and say it's good to 110*F.

~

Speaking of oil change intervals, the video explains that even though synthetic oil is superior in many ways, the additives become depleted, which is why mfrs say that oil change intervals cannot be lengthened when using synthetic.

Air cooled engines use their oil as part of the cooling system. Consequently, since air cooled engines run very hot in high ambient temperature high load conditions, the oil itself can get MUCH hotter than the oil does in water cooled engines. The problem with multi-weight oil is the VI Improver that is added to make it multi-weight. VI Improver does not withstand high heat conditions well and breaks down (as sajohnson pointed out). Also, VI Improver does not have any lubricating qualities, so oil that contains it is less "oily" oil. There is much less VI improver added to synthetic multi-weight oil (and in some cases, NO VI Improver is added) than what is added to dino/conventional multi-weight oil. The reason that dino SAE30 continues to be recommended is because it doesn't have any VI Improver in it. It is stout oil and remains stable under very high heat conditions while continuing to lubricate properly.
When I had my shop I always strongly recommended that ALL of my customers use SAE30, residential and commercial customers alike (in most applications). During that time frame, I never once saw an engine that was damaged by a lubrication failure using SAE30 not caused by over or under filling, even with my commercial customers running their machines all day every day in 110 degree Texas summer heat. I did see several engine failures cause by using multi-weight oil. Some engines were notorious for being very hard on oil, particularly vertical crankshaft aluminum block 8hp and above Tecumseh engines. I can't tell you how many Craftsman riders I saw with blown engines over the years.

Originally Posted by Shannow
That's one of his dumber videos

He doesn't get into as much detail as he could, but it seems accurate. What is it that you disagree with?

Originally Posted by wag123
Air cooled engines use their oil as part of the cooling system. Consequently, since air cooled engines run very hot in high ambient temperature high load conditions, the oil itself can get MUCH hotter than the oil does in water cooled engines. The problem with multi-weight oil is the VI Improver that is added to make it multi-weight. VI Improver does not withstand high heat conditions well and breaks down (as sajohnson pointed out). Also, VI Improver does not have any lubricating qualities, so oil that contains it is less "oily" oil. There is much less VI improver added to synthetic multi-weight oil (and in some cases, NO VI Improver is added) than what is added to dino/conventional multi-weight oil. The reason that dino SAE30 continues to be recommended is because it doesn't have any VI Improver in it. It is stout oil and remains stable under very high heat conditions while continuing to lubricate properly.
When I had my shop I always strongly recommended that ALL of my customers use SAE30, residential and commercial customers alike (in most applications). During that time frame, I never once saw an engine that was damaged by a lubrication failure using SAE30 not caused by over or under filling, even with my commercial customers running their machines all day every day in 110 degree Texas summer heat. I did see several engine failures cause by using multi-weight oil. Some engines were notorious for being very hard on oil, particularly vertical crankshaft aluminum block 8hp and above Tecumseh engines. I can't tell you how many Craftsman riders I saw with blown engines over the years.

Interesting post, thanks.

The failures you saw with multi-viscosity oil -- was that conventional oil? Was it changed per the mfr's recommendations?

It makes sense that air cooled engines run hotter -- esp in high ambient temps. Most small engine manuals I've seen recommend 30W, although most also specify one or more types of multi-viscosity oil. At most, the manual will say to keep an eye on oil usage when using multi-vis oil. There is no mention of synthetic oil.

Until now, I'd never seen a mfr indicate that 5W-30 is only OK to use below 40*F. That seems like a typo, or excessively cautious. No other mfr makes a recommendation anywhere near that.

As I said above, Honda recommends 30W / 5W-30 / or 10W-30 conventional oil up to 110*F in their air-cooled lawnmower engines -- with no mention of synthetic at all. That's an huge difference from 40*F.

My experience is no less anecdotal than anyone else's, but for decades I've been using 5W-30 synthetic in all of our power equipment -- pressure washer (Honda engine); lawn mowers (various, mostly B&S); snow blower (Tecumseh). The snow blower is about 20 years old. It's gotten so much use that the differential gears on the auger stripped and I had to replace them. The power washer is almost the same age and has a lot of hours on it. The mowers fall apart while the engine is still running strong. None of them burn much, if any oil.

In short, synthetic 5W-30 has worked great for us, but it generally does not get above about 90*F here.

I'd be reluctant to use conventional multi-vis oil, even though Honda says it is OK.

Originally Posted by sajohnson
Until now, I'd never seen a mfr indicate that 5W-30 is only OK to use below 40*F. That seems like a typo, or excessively cautious. No other mfr makes a recommendation anywhere near that.

As I said above, Honda recommends 30W / 5W-30 / or 10W-30 conventional oil up to 110*F in their air-cooled lawnmower engines -- with no mention of synthetic at all. That's an huge difference from 40*F.

I don't see how it has to be a typo. For me it reads like this: B&S DOES NOT WANT YOU TO USE CONV 5W-30 IN ANYTHING BUT A SNOWBLOWER loud and clear.

The reasons are obvious--- with the wide viscosity spread & high heat that air cooled engine oils experience, it's unlikely that all customers will use a premium conventional oil that is up to the task. Conservative, yes! Typo? I don't think so.

The fact that Honda recommends what they do has no bearing on B&S viscosity chart. It's Honda's warranty and reputation on the line if people's engines die prematurely from the use of sub-par oil, so it's up to them to state what they consider satisfactory.

I agree the use of 5w-30 multigrade is unlikely to cause noticeable issues in the lifespan of an comsumer engine. That said, I certainly don't think the B&S viscosity recommendations to be in error! I prefer B&S more conservative approach, I would not put a 5w-30 in anything air cooled in hot summer temperatures.

In all of the charts I have seen is that Briggs specifies sae 30, 5w30, 5w30 synthetic, 10w30, & their 15w50 Vanguard oil, not one of them even lists 10w30 synthetic unless they mean it has the same temp range as regular 10w30. One chart I looked at shows 5w30 for use up to 40F but then synthetic 5w30 covers the whole range up to 100F. I would think finding their Vanguard oil is kinda hard as I've never seen anyone carry it unless a dealer or online somewhere, Mobil 1 15w50 can be found practically anywhere.

Originally Posted by Merek
In all of the charts I have seen is that Briggs specifies sae 30, 5w30, 5w30 synthetic, 10w30, & their 15w50 Vanguard oil, not one of them even lists 10w30 synthetic unless they mean it has the same temp range as regular 10w30. One chart I looked at shows 5w30 for use up to 40F but then synthetic 5w30 covers the whole range up to 100F. I would think finding their Vanguard oil is kinda hard as I've never seen anyone carry it unless a dealer or online somewhere, Mobil 1 15w50 can be found practically anywhere.
If you go online and see there oil recommendation in a Q & A: Can You Use Synthetic Lawn Mower Oil? Yes!
We have recently modified our engine oil recommendations to state that you may now use a synthetic 5W30 or 10W30 oil in all temperature ranges.
So there is one part they do mention that a synthetic is also good in all temperature ranges.
I really don't believe that Vanguard oil is better than Mobil 1. I like to see that stand up to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. B&S could say that you have a choice you all the other oil options. You can say, they are only recommended for 100 degrees and below and I need to run my engine above that. Bingo, you should win.

Originally Posted by NH73
Originally Posted by Merek
If you go online and see there oil recommendation in a Q & A: Can You Use Synthetic Lawn Mower Oil? Yes!
We have recently modified our engine oil recommendations to state that you may now use a synthetic 5W30 or 10W30 oil in all temperature ranges.
So there is one part they do mention that a synthetic is also good in all temperature ranges.
I really don't believe that Vanguard oil is better than Mobil 1. I like to see that stand up to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. B&S could say that you have a choice you all the other oil options. You can say, they are only recommended for 100 degrees and below and I need to run my engine above that. Bingo, you should win.

That's helpful, thanks!

I didn't realize B&S was now recommending/allowing synthetic multi-grade. I was wondering how long it would take them to come around.

There's one problem I have with the way this recommendation is done, though. When you specify a "synthetic" oil without any performance or specification qualifiers, the "synthetic" that it gets is whatever product that the oil bottler in question considers a "synthetic." For a small engine, that's unlikely to be a big deal, but it reminds us that if a product is specified, there should be some clarity. SF, SG, SH, SJ, or newer would indicate to me that I don't need to be rushing for a technical Group IV or V synthetic 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back