B-25 Mitchell Medium Bomber

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
My grandson of 10 is very interested in WWII Military History (and especially Aviation) and so we're building a scale model of the B-25 Mitchell.

He found a training film on YouTube and suggested "Grampi" look at it:
grin2.gif

B-25 Training Film

Last edited:
The very first plastic model I ever built in my life was a B-25 Mitchell - about 10"-12" of wingspan

I don't remember if it was Revell or Ertl or Monogram or...... it's been over 40 years since I built it

That's hilarious. I just sent that same link to a friend of mine day before yesterday who has read everything ever printed on the Doolittle Raid. I loved building models!

MolaKule... how beautiful are youth... how bright they gleam with their aspirations and dreams!!!

You know depending on your location you may link up with the Collins Foundation Wings of Freedom Tour...
Your grandson could not only tour a B25 on the ground but also sign up for a B25 flight... not to mention
tour a P51 Mustang and B24 B17... a most memorable time will be had by all among the warbirds...

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/events/category/wings-of-freedom-tour/

I machined some parts for the Foundations P51C Betty Jame and in appreciation I was awarded to fly backseat
in formation with a B25 heading towards Tahoe...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We flew so close to the B25 I could count the rivets...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In late 80's I was working part time in BMW motorcycle shop in Md. Elderly guy walked in wanting to sell a BMW single cyl that he bought after WWII while going to college. I went to his house to pick it up and he pulled the key out which had a swastika on it and replaced it with original, identical but for the swastika. His story was while flying a B25 during Normandy invasion he took hits in engine/s and managed to put it down in field. Told crew to spread out. While in trees he heard big motor rumbling as tho idling. After watching the German tank for a bit he realized it had been abandoned so he climbed inside, saw the ignition switch, pulled it out and stuck it in his pocket. It was identical to later ones used on BMW cycles for many years, minus the swastika of course.

Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
[Linked Image]

^ That's an awesome picture! Guess the camera was located near the tip of the Mustang's port stabilizer?

Since childhood I'd always been partial to the G and H versions of the B-25 armed with 75mm tank cannons
crazy2.gif
:

Originally Posted by MolaKule
My grandson of 10 is very interested in WWII Military History (and especially Aviation) and so we're building a scale model of the B-25 Mitchell.

He found a training film on YouTube and suggested "Grampi" look at it:
grin2.gif

B-25 Training Film

I built a 1/48 scale model B-25, an Aurora kit, way back when. I was about eight, and around the same time read a book by Ted Lawson, one of the Doolittle raiders. It was called 30 Seconds Over Tokyo. It certainly captured my young imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back