AZ vs AAP vs Pep Boys vs Napa brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I will be sanding down my rotors this weekend to see it fixes my squealing problem. In the event that it doesn't help which pad/rotor combination should I get? I plan on picking something up locally instead of waiting for it to come from Amazon.

I've heard that everyone's top of the line ceramic pads are pretty much all the same.

My budget is around $170 for front pads and rotors.

-Thanks

My NAPA store in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area have what they call the Super 2nd Saturday Sale each month where you get 30% off regular priced items between 8 and 9 in the morning. You might want to check the stores in your area.

I have had both NAPA premium and the top of the line AZ brake pads and rotors and hated both. NAPA didn't last long and had bad brake pedal. AZ was a little better but squeals (did everything, it's just the brakes.) I would recommend either going with OEM or a premium brand like Akebono for pads and OEM rotors

No problems with autozone rotors. I've always bought good name brand pads such as Akebono, ACDelco, OEM, Hawk.

Make sure you silicone grease the slide pins and pad shims. As well as use a gummy anti-vibration product on the backs of the pads.

I use CRC Disc Brake Quiet.

I recently put new pads on my Miata NA. I used "Brakebest" on the front which is available at O'Reilley and Beck Arnley on the rear. Got great break feel and minimum dusting.

Use an OEM pad kit. They come with the proper anti-rattle clips. Worth the extra $20 over the part store junk. As far as rotors go, you will be fine with any run of the mill aftermarket units from any one of those stores.
We sell the OEM pads at 75.57/axle. I usually don't promote the OEM rotors because I cannot justify charging my customers $106 per rotor. Stupid parts department.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salv
Use an OEM pad kit. They come with the proper anti-rattle clips. Worth the extra $20 over the part store junk. As far as rotors go, you will be fine with any run of the mill aftermarket units from any one of those stores.
We sell the OEM pads at 75.57/axle. I usually don't promote the OEM rotors because I cannot justify charging my customers $106 per rotor. Stupid parts department.

Thanks salv, I might consider the OEM pads. My only issue with the OEM pads has weaker pad bite after 25k miles, but maybe I'm just being too picky.

Last edited:
I used to think rotors were rotors until I bought some on ebay. They fit on my Toyota Highlander but they were very light compared to my OEM rotors. The air gap between the contact surfaces on the ebay rotors was very large. I contacted the seller and he told me that the larger air gap allows more cooling. What a joke! I used the rotors for a couple years until they developed a pulsation from warpage and eventually replaced them with some Duralast Gold rotors from Autozone.

When i needed rotors I got mine on Amazon. I got the Bosch Rotors. IIRC Bosch rotors are OEM on some cars as well, great quality still great 3 years later.

It depends on your car?

Opinions and experiences from different people may not be for the same car you want. Products from each store for different car brand may come from different sources.

So, let say Toyota rotor at Napa may not be the same source mfg for Honda rotor. etc.

So you may be better asking the particular forum for that brand of car.

JMHO.

I used the Napa premium line when I did the brakes this spring on my SI. They are awesome. Great feel, great power. I would and will buy them again when I need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back