Axxis/PBR Deluxe Brake Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these things just [censored]? I put the new pads and new RTP rotors on about 10k miles ago (bedded as recommended with 4 60 to 10mph stops). I've had them on for about 10k I have tried everything to stop the squealing.

==Anti-squeal grease
==Anti-squeal compound (after removing grease) on backs of pads
==Anti-squeal compound (after removing grease) between pads and shims

Nothing works longer than 100 miles. I'm thinking these are just loud brakes due to the metal content and am thinking of changing to Hawk HPS pads.

Anyone else have these?

The Deluxe were my favorites for many years on my 85 SAAB 900 and 90 Legend (probably went through 5-6 pairs altogether), and I am planning on getting them (Deluxe Plus is the new version, right?) when my 2001 Acura CL-S needs pads. I never had any squealing. I was always fairly generous with the anti-squeal compound (and let it sit until almost dry before installing).
I don't think there's any metal content though, like the Metal Masters.

Hmmm, I tried letting it dry for about an hour until it was tacky (as the directions stated). Still I get this squeal. I've ordered some Akebono Ceramic, which are OEM for my car.

I sent an email to Dave Zeckhausen

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

He suggested I try to re-bed them as the zinc plating may be wearing off and causing the squeal. I have just returned from a drive down a country road.
smile.gif
...with lots of braking.

Will report back on how this works, but I do notice the pad transfer on the rotor as well as the "bluish" tint.

We used these PBR pads on our 94 previa, the rears and rotors at about 170k, and the fronts and rotors and calipers (one of the dual piston calipers ws seized in bore, so we replaced both), at 190k. We used brembo rotors all around.

Never a squeal, and great braking. we just used them with some gentle to moderate slowing (but not stopping) for the first 50 miles or so, then drove as normal. A-OK.

We did make sure that all the shims were used as designed, and coated everything nicely in CRC orangish-reddish brake anti-squeal compound that they sell at the auto parts store. Ive always had great success with that slop, though I hear a nice layer of anti-squeal will work just as well.

JMH

Quote:

We used these PBR pads on our 94 previa, the rears and rotors at about 170k, and the fronts and rotors and calipers (one of the dual piston calipers ws seized in bore, so we replaced both), at 190k. We used brembo rotors all around.

Never a squeal, and great braking. we just used them with some gentle to moderate slowing (but not stopping) for the first 50 miles or so, then drove as normal. A-OK.

We did make sure that all the shims were used as designed, and coated everything nicely in CRC orangish-reddish brake anti-squeal compound that they sell at the auto parts store. Ive always had great success with that slop, though I hear a nice layer of anti-squeal will work just as well.

JMH

Did you bed your brakes?

As for the CRC, did you use the spray or the stuff in a can/brush?

Are they always loud or only when they're cold? Hawk HPS's and Porterfield's are like that, but I haven't tried the rubbery anti-squeal stuff. And they give off a weird rust colored brake dust.

If you want something quiet and relatively dust-free try some ceramic pads. They stop very well. Akebono, Hawk, Performance Friction, Axxis (Ultimate's) and many others make them.

Have had Deluxe Pluses on the Bimmer for about 10K. No anti-squeal compound used and they are extremely quiet. They are organic and take quite a bit of heat to get the transfer film going. I had to do about 3 series of 7-8 60-10mph stops before they were bedded to my satisfaction. Boiled the brake fluid too, so that got changed. Everything is great now and I enjoy almost no dust to clean.

Have the Akebonos on the minivan right now and pleased with those. Again, when bedded, absolutely quiet and basically dust free. They will get changed to Deluxe Pluses too when the Akebonos are worn out. I have heard that European cars get better results with the Axxis while Japanese cars do better with the Akebonos.
dunno.gif

I have Hawk HPSs on the pick-up. They squeal from time to time and I'll do a quick re-bed to quiet them down. Kinda wooden in their performance and they are moderately dusty too. Dave Z turned me onto the new Centric pads (the company is very large and just aquired StopTech Brakes). I haven't put them on yet, but they do seem promising. BTW, Dave Z is THE man when it comes to brakes.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Are they always loud or only when they're cold? Hawk HPS's and Porterfield's are like that, but I haven't tried the rubbery anti-squeal stuff. And they give off a weird rust colored brake dust.

If you want something quiet and relatively dust-free try some ceramic pads. They stop very well. Akebono, Hawk, Performance Friction, Axxis (Ultimate's) and many others make them.

At first it was when cold, then it was all the time. We'll see how this latest bedding works.

Also, I ordered some Akebono Ceramics...they'll either go in next weekend or at 80k miles!!!
smile.gif

Quote:

Have had Deluxe Pluses on the Bimmer for about 10K. No anti-squeal compound used and they are extremely quiet. They are organic and take quite a bit of heat to get the transfer film going. I had to do about 3 series of 7-8 60-10mph stops before they were bedded to my satisfaction. Boiled the brake fluid too, so that got changed. Everything is great now and I enjoy almost no dust to clean.

Have the Akebonos on the minivan right now and pleased with those. Again, when bedded, absolutely quiet and basically dust free. They will get changed to Deluxe Pluses too when the Akebonos are worn out. I have heard that European cars get better results with the Axxis while Japanese cars do better with the Akebonos.
dunno.gif

I have Hawk HPSs on the pick-up. They squeal from time to time and I'll do a quick re-bed to quiet them down. Kinda wooden in their performance and they are moderately dusty too. Dave Z turned me onto the new Centric pads (the company is very large and just aquired StopTech Brakes). I haven't put them on yet, but they do seem promising. BTW, Dave Z is THE man when it comes to brakes.
cheers.gif

Yes, I heard the same about European and Japanese difference. Agree totally on the bedding, I think I got those suckers this time!!!
smile.gif

And yes, Dave Z is the man, very helpful.

I had these on my Civic and after a month or so of light city driving they'd start making noise. After some "brake testing" in a large, open parking lot in the middle of the night, the noise was gone for a few months. Beat on the brakes some more, noise was gone. They just want attention!

Did you guys realise PBR is an Australian company? I knew they expoprted brake calipers etc to GM for the Corvette many years ago but strange to see people in the U.S talking about PBR brake pads. Very savvy company. Worth a while to look at their web site.

http://www.pbr.com.au/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back