Axle / CV Driveshafts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the passenger side axle on my 2009 Camry. OEM is out of the picture because they are around $400-500. Raxles are good but they don't have any for Toyota's. So my last options are Cardone from Rockauto or Napa MaxDrive.

I do want to try to get one with Heavy Duty Thermoplastic boots but my question is should I get a new Cardone / Napa MaxDrive or remanufactured / rebuilt one? Which one would be better?

How do you know you need a new one? I ask because I'm getting a rumbling noise when driving straight ahead in the 05 Matrix. Could be tires, wheel bearing, etc...in my car.

Not sure which brand is best since no experience with them.

Well I think it is my axle, boots are fine but I am getting a clicking / grinding noise, maybe it is the bearing on the axle. Either way I will need to pull it off and see what is going in there.

Rock Auto has the Cardone HD axles. The HD line uses thermoplastic boots, like OE.

Most reman, including Cardone's standard reman, use neoprene, which is inferior.

I mention this because torn boots are virtually the ONLY reason for CV joint failure

Thermoplastic boots are a must and both Cardone and Napa MaxDrive offer them. Napa MaxDrive is about $30 more but might be worth in case I need warranty?

I would purchase a used low mileage, OEM axle from ebay and install new boots. This is your best option.

I have re-booted many of the passenger side CV axles for this application but I have never seen one that is noisy.

As an alternative you can try CVJAxles:
https://www.cvjreman.com/

If you cant' get a new OEM, pull from junkyard or ebay.

$400-500 is about right, OEM remand if offered would be almost $200 ea. This is one part you don't want to cut corner on (unless you are just fixing to trade in).

Be cautious if the Napa Maxdrive axle is made or remanufactured by Cardone. I had one installed on my Ridgeline that had a Cardone warranty, and I ended up swapping it out for a Honda OEM axle because the Maxdrive had a noticeable vibration at 50 mph. Maybe that won't be the case for your Toyota.

I have used CVJ several times in the past for cv shafts for my Camry and Tacoma. Excellent service and high quality parts. I would second what has already been said about the reman axles and would suggest you follow the advice provided by The Critic and others.

Originally Posted by PurpleT
I have used CVJ several times in the past for cv shafts for my Camry and Tacoma. Excellent service and high quality parts. I would second what has already been said about the reman axles and would suggest you follow the advice provided by The Critic and others.

How much did this cost? Do you send your axle in and have them rebuild it or due the sell rebuilt axles?

The issue I've seen with new ones of any make is them being too short or too long. Granted, that's just what I've seen on the Liberty forum I run, so we usually recommend Napa remans since at least you get an OE core. The wrong length plays havoc on the Libertys, especially if running a lift and off roading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back