Awaiting UOA on Delo XLE after some hard use!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuck some clearance Delo XLE in the Outback this summer since 10W30 is a "welcome" viscosity for my EJ253. Also dumped in about 1/3 can of Ceratec since it was all lonely on the shelf. Had it in for about 3500 miles already, until last week when I went on a trip to VA and back. If you're from the Midwest and travel east thru the center of the country, you know the route on I-64 and US-60 is quite challenging. Lots of constant elevation changes up and down, and when the road is straight traffic moves quite well. So, about 700 miles each way plus a week's worth of Hampton Roads' surface travel; nearly 11 hours spent between 3k and 5k rpm with heavy throttle loads twice in the past week. The EJ253 is geared super short, with 4.44 diffs and a 0.69 OD gear with a 26.5" tire, so 75mph is about 3000 RPMs. It doesn't quite have enough oomph to carry the OD gear in the mountains, so it drops down to 1:1 3rd gear, which results in roughly 4600RPM trying to maintain 75mph. There were a couple mountain climbs where the engine was at 4600 and nearly 3/4 throttle for almost 2 minutes straight. It's quite the thrashing compared to something like the 6.0 L92 and 6L80 in my old G8 GT.

Anyhow, I checked the oil level every other fillup and the level never moved, so I'm now around 5200 miles on this OCI and no top-off required. I had my FreeSSM hooked up a couple times while in the mountains, and saw oil temps of about 238*F, trans temps of 208*, and coolant fluctuated between 183-191*, so I know she was working hard in those hills. Going to pull a "live" sample for UOA to see how the oil has held up so far to make an educated guess on how long to run it. Factory OCI is 7.5k, and it's got an XG7317 filter on it right now. I've had the car now for 15k miles and this will be its first UOA. Should have results on Monday evening after dropping sample off tomorrow night.

Why wouldn't you just use XSP 5w-30 since it is a full synthetic and is only a couple $ more a jug? Clearly a better oil. I am looking at running it in my Hyundai 1.6T since it is SN+, I am going with the 5w-40 version. Pour point is -51F for those Minnesota winters here.

Originally Posted by Donald
Why not wait to post until you have the results. I thought Subaru engines called for 0W20 synthetic?

The EJ253 is an older engine which always specified 5W30.

Turbos shine when it comes to driving in the mountains.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Why wouldn't you just use XSP 5w-30 since it is a full synthetic and is only a couple $ more a jug? Clearly a better oil. I am looking at running it in my Hyundai 1.6T since it is SN+, I am going with the 5w-40 version. Pour point is -51F for those Minnesota winters here.

Many people (including Subie) have purchased Delo XLE at clearance prices as it apparently wasn't selling. I doubt they would have bought it otherwise.

I'm going to consider XSP 5W-30 for the next OCI in my Coyote to see how it handles oxidation compared to the PCMOs I've used. The only reason I would use XSP over XLE is for the cold weather starting (5W vs 10W). However, XLE is a fantastic HDEO that has given me excellent service in trucking and I couldn't ask for anything better for what I do.

I'm just bummed that Subie added Ceratec to his oil.....
frown.gif
Would love to have seen results of the XLE on it's own.

Dusty, I agree with your sentiments. Looking back (and forward), I should have left out the Ceratec, and will skip additives when I refill it. Subaru OM for my car rates 10w30 as acceptable down to 0*F, and I know the XLE has a pour point of -51*F, so I can probably safely use this year round where I live.

You are right about the clearance price being the driver, I got gallon jugs for $7 and 2.5 gallon jugs for $13, so that was the impetus to that purchase. Otherwise, I already have plenty of other serviceable 5w30s on the shelf including PUP, Ravenol DXG, and Amsoil SS. I probably would not be in the market for the XSP because it's the same cost as PP/PUP and only 4 qts vs their 5.

Donald, all of the EJ engines called for 30wt oils and even specified up to 20w50 as acceptable in hot weather in the OM- the 0w20 you're thinking of is for the FA/FB engines since 2012.

Sky, the EJ253 is not turbo'd... those were the EJ255/257s and I would have one but for the fact it seems like 99% of people who had XTs/WRXs of this vintage either didn't care about maintenance or didn't care... I drove 8 different Legacy/Outback XTs from 2005-2009 before buying this non-XT, and ALL of them either had oil smoke out the exhaust, needed turbos, or both. XTs were like a high-maintenance girlfriend or the trophy wife all your buddies are jealous of- you gotta pay to play! In the XTs case, it meant you needed 100% on-time preventive maintenance with good fluids and parts. Cheaping out on either one usually had disastrous results that culminated in selling the car because repair costs are not cheap, either.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back