Avoiding water-borne illness abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoiInthanon
Open your own bottles including beer and soda. No ice. Brush teeth with bottled water. Keep the shower water out of your mouth, eyes, and ears. Eat washed fruit if you can peel it or see it peeled. Plan on most of the meals in the hotel, but you can eat on the street if you see it come from the grill, pan, oil, etc. Overkill if you will be there for a long time and can learn what is safe. But for short visit, overkill is appropriate.

That's about the best you can do. Even then you still run the risk of getting sick. Bring plenty of Pepto Bismol and Acidophilus. Enjoy the trip.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
I think I'll go some place I don't need to worry about.

Walkerton or North Battleford?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Too_many_Cars
First off. Enjoy your trip. If you are so rapped up on what not to do, you won't have any fun. I traveled in Tialand for 3 years on and off. You will get sick if you travel. Fact. But. Use your head and don't worry. Drink and eat. Have fun. See you Doctor before you go. He or she will give you a few scripts for just what you are worried about. Have a ball!
Joe

Have you even seen the movie Dumb and Dumber??

Ha ha ha ha....that was a darn funny scene...crude....but funny.

When I went to a DR all inclusive, I thought the greatest risk for many of the vacationers would be Alcohol poisoning.

My guess is, on the resort, the food and Drink is likely safe.
We were advised on arrival NOT to drink or brush out teeth with the water.

We had a good time in DR, but you have to be aware it is a Third world country and the people (by our standards) are quite poor.
By and large the Dominicans we met were nice, BUT many see vacationers as walking Bill folds!
It became a little tiresome on the beach being approached by venders selling mainly Junk.
Trips from the resort invariably made sure you spent time in some kind of Gift Shop during the excursion. and if you book an excursion through the resort, you will likely pay double the off resort rate for any given trip.
Also, don't assume everything is safe!
DR is not a Nanny State! If you want to jump off a Waterfall and break a leg, they will oblige you.
If you are a jerk at a local bar, and the locals beat the tar out of you. Don't expect help from the DR police (in fact, it seems, you'd be better (from what I was told) not to call them at all)

But don't let me put you off. We had a really good time, and I'm sure you will too.
Just use a ounce of caution.

P.S.
It will cost you $20 U.S. (each, in cash) to leave the country.

I do. I travel over seas 6 month a year. Some very strange places. See you doctor BEFORE you go and have fun. Let's be smart. Don't drink a quart of brown water out go the sink. I have been doing this for a long time. Been sick. As all will get one bad trip or two.

When you get tired of the third world thing, as entertaining as it may be you can go to a good island.

But as said above your outside of the US, so if you want to be a dope don't cry about the consequences. Generally you want to stay away from local authorities if you can. Some are quite good, but others don't really like rich Americans so if your a jerk you will get the tar beat out of you. Same with local watering holes, tread with caution and go in groups. In places like Jamaica, Haiti and probably the DR although I have not been their you DO NOT want to be in the wrong place after dark.

Also don't be shocked if you have to pay bribes, its part of doing business in most places. A lot of Americans make their lives much harder than needed because they don't understand how things work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
First off. Enjoy your trip. If you are so rapped up on what not to do, you won't have any fun. I traveled in Tialand for 3 years on and off. You will get sick if you travel. Fact. But. Use your head and don't worry. Drink and eat. Have fun. See you Doctor before you go. He or she will give you a few scripts for just what you are worried about. Have a ball!
Joe

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Joe

It was very good. Love it.

If you really want to stay safe. The good old USA is a great and very large place. You know what. I have gotten sick here as well. Alcohol OD.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back