Avoiding counterfeit parts -- Best strategies?

There are a few specialty parts vendors online such as FCPEuro. This company typically list 4 parts for the same part #. Huh?
- car company branded ($$$$)
- same part without the car company brand ($$$; aka original equipment (OE))
- part made by a supplier to the car company but doesn't supply this part ($$; aka original equipment manufacturer (OEM))
- aftermarket ($).

The installation of aftermarket cooling system part is strictly verboten.

There are a few specialty parts vendors online such as FCPEuro. This company typically list 4 parts for the same part #. Huh?
- car company branded ($$$$)
- same part without the car company brand ($$$; aka original equipment (OE))
- part made by a supplier to the car company but doesn't supply this part ($$; aka original equipment manufacturer (OEM))
- aftermarket ($).

The installation of aftermarket cooling system part is strictly verboten.
I've bought a lot of items from FCP over a few decades.

I've bought many Fram Ultra on Amazon (shipped and sold by Amazon) without a problem.

Ebay, is another story.

I sometimes will contact the manufacturer and ask who their authorized distributors are in my area. I last did this with NGK and sparkplugs.com; confirmed that sparkplugs.com is one of NGK's largest distributors.

Curious how RA can sell the same plugs (NGK 5632) for a lot less than a large distributor - $1.78/ea vs. $4.22/ea. I haven't had an issue with NGK's from RA. Stocking vs. non-stocking is my guess.

If I take a part number off a GM site and enter it into Google, I'll find it on Amazon.
If I go straight to Amazon and search for parts under my car's name, I'll never find it on Amazon.

I agree that buying from a dealer is the safest option, but also the most expensive. Even the major chain FLAPS can be a bit high. Rock Auto is my go-to, but Amazon can be an acceptable alternative IF (and only if) the part says shipped by AND sold by Amazon, not by "Parts-R-Us". Same concept applies to Walmart as well.
The dealer is not always more expensive, I always check before buying anything and sometimes it is a real surprise when the OE is cheaper than chain parts stores and RA.

If you want to see a video of the packaging of filters in "Genuine Toyota Parts" boxes is done, here is a link: AliExpress. No way I would buy a Toyota product anywhere except from a dealer, whether its online or in person.

I’ve bought parts off Amazon and eBay for stuff that isn’t super critical, like wipers, trim, etc.

Once upon a time the parts were most assuredly genuine before the scammers arrived. The scammers back 20 years ago were the buyers who would get your merchandise and then claim it was broken, fake, etc., just to steal. eBay was really bad to sellers because they almost always took your money and you never got the item back.

Now the scammers figured out what they can counterfeit and became sellers. I’m wary of complex items like abs controllers, engine computers, etc., that are a big risk dollar-wise.

Funny that; I needed wipers for my BMW years ago, so I ordered a set off Amazon. I didn’t have time to put them on, so when I had it serviced at the dealer, I asked them to install. They hesitated but did it when I showed them that the dealer’s own Amazon seller account sold them to me. 😁

What is the consensus about the best way to avoid receiving counterfeit parts online? (meaning without having to do detective / forensic analysis on the parts you order).

Is this generally the approach?

(1) Buy OEM parts at the dealer --- probably the safest option.

(2) Buy parts locally at chain auto parts stores (OReilly, Autozone, NAPA, Advance, Car Quest, etc) --- you are almost always very safe getting a part that is correctly branded and labeled.

(3) Buy parts online from reputable business, the sends straight from the manufacturer --- Rockauto, Sparkplugs.com (OPINIONS ON THESE?!?)

HIGH RISK FOR COUNTERFEIT:
(1) Amazon
(2) Ebay

Thoughts?
I would never buy anything for a car on Amazon or eBay, apart from maybe a second hand tail light or Centre caps for alloys

Have tried buying LED lights from Amazon and they never fit properly

Mostly buy from a UK chain called EuroCarParts and stick to Bosch/Pagid for brakes and Hengst/Bosch etc for filters.

Buy cheap, buy twice

I bought LED headlight bulbs for a work Skoda Octavia and neither set fitted.

Bought LES sidelights for the daughters Q2 from local Halfords and they fitted perfectly.

Buying brake parts on eBay m or Amazon?

Absolutely no way would I do that

The dealer is not always more expensive, I always check before buying anything and sometimes it is a real surprise when the OE is cheaper than chain parts stores and RA.

Very true

Once a car hits the 7/8 year mark it’s surprising the deals Main Dealers will do

JLR, Merc and BMW also do cheaper servicing on older cars

Back