Avoiding counterfeit parts -- Best strategies?

What is the consensus about the best way to avoid receiving counterfeit parts online? (meaning without having to do detective / forensic analysis on the parts you order).

Is this generally the approach?

(1) Buy OEM parts at the dealer --- probably the safest option.

(2) Buy parts locally at chain auto parts stores (OReilly, Autozone, NAPA, Advance, Car Quest, etc) --- you are almost always very safe getting a part that is correctly branded and labeled.

(3) Buy parts online from reputable business, the sends straight from the manufacturer --- Rockauto, Sparkplugs.com (OPINIONS ON THESE?!?)

HIGH RISK FOR COUNTERFEIT:
(1) Amazon
(2) Ebay

Thoughts?

Agree, except I would add 'specialty online' ahead of the RockAuto and SparkPlugs places. By specialty, I mean the marque specific type of 'stores'; pelican parts, fcp euro, roverparts, etc.

Amazon, you have to be very careful and I'm baffled why folks would even buy any critical part on ebay when there are other alternatives. I generally avoid both except as a last resort.

I just recently bought a fuel pump off of eBay for next to nothing. I was sure there were going to be problems but it turned out to be identical to the OEM. I compared every piece to the OEM and there is no way to tell the difference other than one has been sitting in gasoline for 12 years. Today almost every major part comes from one or two factories not in the USA.

I agree that buying from a dealer is the safest option, but also the most expensive. Even the major chain FLAPS can be a bit high. Rock Auto is my go-to, but Amazon can be an acceptable alternative IF (and only if) the part says shipped by AND sold by Amazon, not by "Parts-R-Us". Same concept applies to Walmart as well.

Last edited:
I have been deferring to online dealers for anything important.

However honestly I have bought plenty from Amazon without any issues - 2 rads, and alternator, spark plugs, oil filters. I guess I was the lucky one.

Rock Auto has the worst customer service in the industry. Might as well send a money order in an envelope to China.

The local parts stores want as much or more as online OEM. Why anyone buys there unless they need it this minute baffles me.

Buy the same brands of parts too. That way you're familiar with them and can spot issues. I order a lot of parts from Rockauto but for example I almost exclusively use Raybestos Element 3 pads. Not to say I'll be able to identify any discrepancy but I have a decent shot at it.

I pretty much just go with my gut. If it feels wrong it is wrong. I've had great luck with Amazon/Ebay myself. One example I've noticed is Gates rad/heater hoses are a great deal on Amazon. Normally less than 1/2 the price of the same hose at oreilly's.

I just recently bought a fuel pump off of eBay for next to nothing. I was sure there were going to be problems but it turned out to be identical to the OEM. I compared every piece to the OEM and there is no way to tell the difference other than one has been sitting in gasoline for 12 years. Today almost every major part comes from one or two factories not in the USA.
I bought an AC compressor from Amazon for my Scion. Brand new OEM, half the price, didn't look counterfeit in anyway with all the same markings. Who makes counterfeit compressors anyway? It was cheaper than the most discounted OE I could find online. I don't know how the seller made a profit, maybe it was overstock. It has worked fine for years.

Regardless I still get my OE parts from the local dealer who runs one of the best discount OEM part websites on the net. They won't offer the discount prices at the parts counter though, you have to order them on their website. Makes it worthwhile when you don't have to pay for shipping.

i use eBay for trim pieces, vacuum line, and other parts where it'll work fine even if its low quality... i also use eBay sometimes for my Mitsubishi, because even the dealer doesn't have those parts anymore. i usually use rockauto, just don't buy the cheapest option and you usually get a good part. I've had good luck with rockauto customer service too.

Rock Auto is safe to use because they drop ship from the same warehouses used by independent parts stores, or even directly from the manufacturer. All you have to do is google the return address, and it will lead you to where the parts came from :)

sparkplugs.com is safe. Monarch Products is one of the oldest US distributors of NGK.

Jegs and Summit Racing are also safe to buy from.

Driv(Wagner/Fel-Pro/Champion) has been using Amazon increasingly these days as well. Their main distributor - Pep Boys is non-existent outside of Philly.

I usually end up with only eBay on hard to find parts. I try to avoid, but ultimately I need a part. Lately, I have been using Wally for the easy to get stuff instead of Bezos' because parts arrive less beat up. Oil filter football anyone?

Reactions: D60
I bought an AC compressor from Amazon for my Scion. Brand new OEM, half the price, didn't look counterfeit in anyway with all the same markings. Who makes counterfeit compressors anyway? It was cheaper than the most discounted OE I could find online. I don't know how the seller made a profit, maybe it was overstock. It has worked fine for years.

Regardless I still get my OE parts from the local dealer who runs one of the best discount OEM part websites on the net. They won't offer the discount prices at the parts counter though, you have to order them on their website. Makes it worthwhile when you don't have to pay for shipping.
I bought a rebuilt compressor from Autozone that came with a lifetime warranty. It was complete with everything you needed to swap one out except the Freon. $340 with discount. The Volvo dealer wanted close to a grand for the same exact same unit. I guess the Volvo sticker was worth another $650. If you need parts for an older Volvo and the dealer says they've been discontinued you can check out Genuine Classic Parts. It's Volvo's warehouse in Sweden that houses their NOS parts for their older cars going back to the 50's. Once they run out it's gone forever. I've bought a number of items from them for my 1997 that dealer could no longer get. Yes they could order them they're just too lazy to go find the part on GCP's website and order them in. Prices are pretty good considering they're for a Volvo.

At least with Toyota there are dealers who will discount between 15-35% when you order online. Definitely wouldn't touch a filter of any kind from Ebay or Amazon.
This is one option. The dealership and places like O'Reilly seem to be safe.

Back