Availability of ULSD in Northern California

I’m in N. California near the capitol. I’ve always avoided renewable diesel and sought out CARB ULSD as it generates more torque and better fuel economy than RD. It is really fantastic stuff.

I haven’t been able to find ULSD since early April at all of my usual stations. Even Mobil let me down. Most are selling RD at pumps labeled diesel #2. RD is clear, doesn’t foam and smells like wax.

This week I found ULSD at pumps in rural locations off I-5 and 101. It looks like it’s still around but hard to find in urban settings. When I pulled up to the pumps I could smell a long lost friend.

If you are in Cali and find ULSD add to the thread.

Is your renewable diesel Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil?

Wish I could get it close to home. My car loves the stuff! More responsive, higher fuel economy, no noticeable loss in outright power and less DPF regens!

Is your renewable diesel Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil?

Wish I could get it close to home. My car loves the stuff! More responsive, higher fuel economy, no noticeable loss in outright power and less DPF regens!

It’s made domestically, similar to the HVO made by Neste, how it differs exactly I don’t know. There is a placebo effect with HVO, it didn’t give results like you describe in my experience in multiple different vehicles. It has high cetane and lower BTUs, I don’t see how it could improve fuel economy or make the engine more responsive unless you specifically tuned for it exclusively.

I use an additive when I fill up. It increases combustion efficiency and gives similar results as HVO with soot production. I’ve tried both and blends but pure diesel #2 has better performance.

Our petro Diesel in California is distilled differently and has a cetane of ~ 55. If there is any bio or renewable content as a blend it’s supposed to be labeled at the pump.

Pure petro diesel with additive is better in regards to torque and efficiency due to higher peak cylinder pressure and BTUs. It has been the fuel of choice for me but I haven’t been able to find it since early April.

Back