Autozone Employees

None of the Ford or Mazda parts training includes actually looking up parts. Actually I take that back, one of the Mazda classes said that the best way to look up a part in the catalog was to enter the part number....

There is so much you have to know doing dealer parts that aren't in the catalog. Things that you just have to know. I have files on my work computer with notes for all sorts of things I and other parts people have stumbled upon over the years.

Also the Autozones of the world don't pay that great unless you are on the commercial or management side. Maybe minimum wage with a small commission. Where on the dealer side I am at 6 figures with my hourly and commission. When I do go to the Zone or OReillys for something I don't act condescending to them at all. I don't know their system as I never worked in a parts house, but just treat them like people. I do get annoyed at their commercial reps, mostly because they show up when I am super busy and want to talk about me stocking a bunch of their stuff.
Are you a dealer parts worker? And you make 6 figures? Am I reading that right?

Also people like me headhunt there. I had a former female counterperson and one currently that we stole from O'Reillys. Even if our pay isn't a massive upgrade, we are closed Sundays and 8-5 during the week so there's that. Basically if we call one of those stores and consistently there is one person that is super helpful, I will usually go in to try and talk to them. Then tell them to apply.
That probably explains why anyone can rarely find good help in there, you're stealing them all!

Remember they lose money on every new car they sell, the last three years have been so tough for these dealers, selling every car before they hit the lot with ADM.

I usually just show them the page with the part number on my phone that I need and they go retrieve it.

I have no doubt it's doable in a big city big volume dealership. When I worked at a brake manufacturer we bought a BUNCH of Ford parts from 1 dealership, that cat probably made his mortgage every month just on what we consumed.

Corporations will squeeze labor until people stop shopping and then they'll have to find and train people better. Or just go more online. Or AI. I don't even talk to people at fast food places any more. All in apps or digital kiosks, check to make sure it's correct in the bag, and leave. Some people try hard and lack decent training and pay stinks. But most, if they had car knowledge or wanted more money, would go to tech school and get a degree in autos. If they had one, and were knowledgeable, they wouldn't be working at an auto parts store full time for that crap pay.

Also people like me headhunt there. I had a former female counterperson and one currently that we stole from O'Reillys. Even if our pay isn't a massive upgrade, we are closed Sundays and 8-5 during the week so there's that. Basically if we call one of those stores and consistently there is one person that is super helpful, I will usually go in to try and talk to them. Then tell them to apply.
You sir, thank you for that. guys like you help offer people a real career. You literally can change a life doing that.

You sir, thank you for that. guys like you help offer people a real career. You literally can change a life doing that.
So I was an apprentice at the dealer I am at and was let go my the service manager because "I didn't show an interest." Fast forward a couple years and I was working at Sears Auto when one of the techs at teh dealer drover by and said "you're smart, you wear glasses, we need a parts person." Different service manager at that time and he hired me and I have stuck around since. Funny enough the guy who fired me owns a newish shop in Goleta that is a great customer and he always says how awesome I am. I just tell people that I try my best.

My old manager that I worked with 11 years here was big on head hunting from parts houses. Having a female counterperson is great for business, especially when they are knowledgeable and good with the customers.

It really helps being a parts person that has worked on cars in the past and still do it as a hobby. Plus I don't mind opening up and digging through the workshop manual to make sure I get everything the tech needs. I even have wholesale customers who call and say something like "I'm doing an EGR cooler on this 6.0, send me whatever I need." I tell them I will send them what we normally do, and if they don't need something to return it. They usually keep it.

BTW we are hiring...

The AutoZone in my area is like the one Automechanic mentioned. The employees are helpful and have worked there a long time. Some of them are car guys. They will drive their classic cars to work when the weather is nice. The O'Reilly next door is run by twenty something year old kids that all drive those fast and furious type cars. They seem to know there stuff as well. I like both stores.

I usually have my research done in advance (no pun intended) and know what I want. I've never had a problem even if I have to kind of coach them along a bit. One of my first jobs in HS was at a parts store and even though I was a car guy and had wrenched on my own cars, I still had to fake it until I made it for a bit since I had only done really basic things like brakes and tune up items.

Here it’s Advance that is terrible. Our AZ and Oreilley’s are really well staffed with people that care and have a clue about cars.

We have a parts store called Arnold Supply, and they have the most experience around. The Napa store manager ended up there.

I hate to admit, but the only reason I don’t shop at our Napa is location. It is in a spot that has a terrible left turn. I am not sure how well staffed it is.

But our Advance is staffed with people that just don’t care and immediately go to their phone once they are done with you.

Seem like all the auto chains are hit or miss depending on the day and who is working at the time. Seems like a rare time when the staff knows more than I do on a specific project, but have struck up some great conversations and occasionally assisted with other shoppers. Got to know the local O'Riely's manager who is always helpful and has become my first port of call. I do my research ahead of time and usually visit to buy a specific item. Prices do vary among the three stores (O'Rielys, Autozone, Advanced Auto), as does availability so it pays to shop. I prefer to support my local retailers and always try to pick-up rather than order online unless there is a significant savings. Now finding there are sometimes restocking fees, even at the local stores.... disappointing but the way of the world.

When I go to AutoZone I sometimes find the part for them in their computer. Once I have the part pulled up in their system they can usually find it

I just got done showing up a couple of Autozone Employees . I think the first guy I talked to was new and couldn't find what I needed on the computer . So he called over another guy that may have been the manager idk. Then I pretty much walked behind the desk to show him where it was on the computer. How embarrassing .
It's weird that you say that. I've noticed that the Autozone employees seem significantly less knowledgeable than Advance auto or napa employees. Does Autozone take anyone?

It's weird that you say that. I've noticed that the Autozone employees seem significantly less knowledgeable than Advance auto or napa employees. Does Autozone take anyone?
It's like a McDonalds as far as hiring. Entry level in parts, pay isn't the best, and the treatment by management (and apparently customers) is not ideal. Some view it as just a job to pay the bills. Others view it as a stepping stone to get into dealer parts.

Back