AutoZone censoring low rating reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
I believe that a lot of places will hold back negative reviews,

I agree. It's widespread.

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
I hear even Carfax is bogus. It is very possible that you are not seeing the truth about a car. Someone just to me this but can't confirm or deny this.

My car has been wrecked 5 times and still has a clean CarFax.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Do you like reviewing products? I do because I believe my opinion matters and that people should know whether a product is good or not.

I've noticed that when I write 4-5 star reviews on AutoZone, they show up. But when I write 1 star reviews, they don't show. I do get an email saying that the moderator approved the review, but when I look at the product I reviewed, my review doesn't show. Only the positive ones do.

This happened more than once. No wonder they don't get many product reviews. Advanced Auto does a better job at it.

No wonder with some of the absolute rubbish parts they sell. AZ,AA, O'Reilly, etc are the new five and dime stores for car parts. Its luck when they work right out of the box never mind last.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It's their domain and they pay for the servers, they have every right allow whatever they want to show/not show on their website. The same right that this very forum is exercising.

I'd disagree. I'd say it's false advertising
A subtle difference, but a testimonial is not a review. If you have a bunch of testimonials that are masquerading as a collection of reviews, you are intentionally misleading people.

I think some of you misunderstood my comments. I'm not saying what AZ is doing is right and honest, I never implied such a thing. What I'm saying is that whether right or wrong, they have every right to do with their website as they please.

People not liking this practice should simply vote with their wallets and if/when AZ loses enough business because of this, they will change their practices.

I haven't been to an Autozone in months, and I try to avoid them if I can help it. Really a terrible company that employs opinionated wannabe mechanics and sells shoddy parts. The rental tools are a joke, most of them are broken, and I've received used parts in brand new boxes. Not to mention the 50% markup on the same Chinese garbage you get from eBay.

It is really more worthwhile to hold out for online parts or drive a few miles further to another store.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I think some of you misunderstood my comments. I'm not saying what AZ is doing is right and honest, I never implied such a thing. What I'm saying is that whether right or wrong, they have every right to do with their website as they please.

People not liking this practice should simply vote with their wallets and if/when AZ loses enough business because of this, they will change their practices.

I understand where you are coming from, but this does not apply where misrepresentation is concerned.

Inviting people to leave honest reviews, while simultaneously presenting to other customers that a part they are shopping for is open to honest reviews, and then just sand bagging the whole thing is fraud. It's a material misrepresentation for pecuniary gain.

There might not be anyone willing to go the lengths to catch them in this fraud, but it's fraud.

I ordered some rotors off AZ last fall for my Gen Coupe. The rears were no way the correct ones as they did not have the drum on the backside for the ebrake shoes. I told them when I returned them. I told them when I reviewed them. And last week they still had the same bad part number and I emailed them and told them again. They come back and give me the part number for the fronts and say these fit. I said yes they do, it's the rear rotor that is bad. It's been three days now since the last email.

I emailed AZ about my review and no response as of yet.

DoubleWasp is on point!

Easy to be an economic warrior on the internet and threaten to not go to said establishment, but I bet a cold beer half of you have a sliding scale of ethics that you would evoke to go in said establishment when it was convenient for you.

Hootbro hit a nail squarely on the head.
Aside from the passing waves of "Harumphiness" which we all can exhibit, there's the daily grind of doing things on a schedule.
Planned jobs, pop-up emergencies, travel considerations.

This thread was pretty cool.
I do believe staffs vary. How many garages a store services says a lot about who the shop'll support.
Cheap parts are everywhere it seems.
A NAPA near me seems DARN good and the people are sharp and caring.
An AAP way upstate is just too "low 'n slow" to be called viable.
In that same town there's an old NAPA and a "truck NAPA". They got it covered.

It really is a shop-by-shop determination.

Oh yeah...there's one conclusion I can offer.
Plan your maintenance and order from RockAuto or "specialty houses" which supply owners of foreign cars.
RA shows you a range of may parts (not all) and the specialty houses offer better stuff.
Yesterday RA had no listing for a stock rear sway bar for a '96 Cherokee. Disappointed me severely.

And a big, national chain essentially lying about their reviews (as well as possibly CARFAX or anyone else) ? GROW UP, of course they lie!
Did you ever expect different?
Waddayou, dopey or something? Kira

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Easy to be an economic warrior on the internet and threaten to not go to said establishment, but I bet a cold beer half of you have a sliding scale of ethics that you would evoke to go in said establishment when it was convenient for you.

True, but it's not like Autozone is the only brick and mortar store around. Within 30 miles of my house I have two NAPAs, two Autozones, and an Advance Auto.

I rank them in this order: NAPA, Advance, Autozone.

NAPA is by far the most expensive. They also have the best staff, and are closest to my house. I will pay the few extra bucks for the service and convenience. If NAPA doesn't have what I'm looking for, Advance usually will. I haven't been in an Autozone in 8 months or so, and I don't plan on going back. Time is valuable, and it seems every time I go to Autozone, it is a waste (for the two closest to me anyway).

I go to Walmart for oil/filters or Napa when they have a sale. Preventative maintenance parts I usually buy online.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Yesterday RA had no listing for a stock rear sway bar for a '96 Cherokee. Disappointed me severely.

New stock rear sway bars are hard to find for the XJ. Most of the offroad crowd just removes them for more suspension travel. It isn't totally needed since the rear suspension is leaf springs. I actually have a thicker Addco rear sway bar on mine and definitely notice a difference though. I'd say the best place to look for a stock one is used on ebay. You can probably find someone building an offroad Jeep selling their rear sway bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back