Automotive A/C Fittings - Leaks 2015 Chevrolet Sonic 1.8l

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have located one leak . The Schrader valve at the low pressure service fitting . Loosened it off a little and tightened it up agan , 3 - 4 times . In hopes it would seal . No real luck . I need to change it out .

I have the tool to do so on my home R-22 condenser unit , with out releasing more than a minimum of refrigerant . Would like to find the equivalent tool for R-134a low side fittings .

If one of you can give me the correct nomenclature , I will run a google search for it .

Thanks , :)

Well , both may be intended to seal , but I can not imagine the Schrader valve not being used as a seal . And when I added a little oil / dye mix , what oil / dye that pooled up ( on top of the Schrader valve ) was bubbling slightly .

Originally Posted By: Chris142
the cap is the actual seal. sounds crazy but its true. oil the seal in the cap and crank it down.

Actually , the cap is plastic , so ............

Thanks , :)

the cap is the actual seal. sounds crazy but its true. oil the seal in the cap and crank it down.

This. What I do as soon as I get a new car is put the slightest amount of silicon grease where the oring seats. End of problem end of story. I know of no one even "experts" that do this. I had a friend with a 1988 chev truck that always had to add a can ever 2 years or so. After I did that he he has not added for at least 5 years. He bought me a bunch of breakfasts...lol.

Last edited:
While I believe you could seal the low side with the cap, It's definitively NOT it's designed purpose!!!!

Every vehicle I own along with every vehicle I service......The schrader valve is what seals. 25-100 psi is more than enough to keep it sealed unless it's damaged.

This is like saying the only thing that keeps air in a tire is the valve stem cap.....

Originally Posted By: Al

This. What I do as soon as I get a new car is put the slightest amount of silicon grease where the oring seats. End of problem end of story. I know of no one even "experts" that do this. I had a friend with a 1988 chev truck that always had to add a can ever 2 years or so. After I did that he he has not added for at least 5 years. He bought me a bunch of breakfasts...lol.

How about R-134a synthetic refrigeration oil ? Either POE or PAG ?

The cap is a dust/moisture cover. The schrader valve is what holds in the refrigerant and actually seals up the system

Originally Posted By: spackard
It's weird, but the cap is also a seal.

The schrader valve is the primary seal. If it's leaking, it should be repaired

I plan on replacing the low side Schrader valve when the tooling arrives . I will probably also check the low side Schrader valve ,if it is is " removable " .

On the older R-22 residential A/C units / condensers , I considered replacing them as preventive maintenance / SOP in case of a leak .

O'Reilly's sells a kit with replacement Schrader valves, caps, and the tool to remove/install them. I couldn't find them at AutoZone.

I have the tool to remove the Schrader valve , but not to do so w/o loosing significant amounts of refrigerant .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back