Signs of a refrigerant leak from 134a retrofit?

JHZR2

Staff member
I would think this lily mess is a sign of an oil leak from a 134a retrofit.

I’m not going to touch hvac for a while on my new 1991 350SD. But I do want to think about what I may face.

7596CFEF-4723-4AB4-8D85-7BCE1B5E1675.jpeg
3EDF92CA-6764-4456-B1F0-C9DBE06BD2C3.jpeg

To me it looks like there is oil loss around the high pressure fitting, as things are cleaner elsewhere. My gut would be bad schrader.

I intend to leak check in my standard way with HC refrigerant. But I want to address low hanging fruit first.

Thoughts?

On something that old, if your gonna discharge/evacuate it anyways
Some modern O rings, new schraders high and low, maybe some Nylog on older threaded connections

Then retest

Does the system currently function?

I would think this lily mess is a sign of an oil leak from a 134a retrofit.

I’m not going to touch hvac for a while on my new 1991 350SD. But I do want to think about what I may face.

View attachment 120466View attachment 120467

To me it looks like there is oil loss around the high pressure fitting, as things are cleaner elsewhere. My gut would be bad schrader.

I intend to leak check in my standard way with HC refrigerant. But I want to address low hanging fruit first.

Thoughts?

could've happened from decoupling, clean it and see if it returns

There's a tool that's designed to allow changing a schrader valve without discharging the system.

I have one. I haven’t put gauges on the system yet but it’s too low to engage the compressor… I think this car sat a good while before going to auction, and 134 retrofits particularly don’t do well with that.. I suspect the system is empty and Ill be changing the receiver dryer…

On something that old, if your gonna discharge/evacuate it anyways
Some modern O rings, new schraders high and low, maybe some Nylog on older threaded connections

Then retest

Does the system currently function?

System does not engage the compressor as far as I can tell. Haven’t messed with it much yet. Don’t know my pressures definitely yet…

My intention is to leak test with HC assuming that it is empty. So yes, vacuum and whatnot…

Opening the system and replacing parts is good if the system is truly empty. If not, it changes the situation a bit.

I just have to imagine thst a retrofit cap is a source of a leak. Seems like the obvious one to face…

Back