Automatic transmission drain plug question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
i just want to ask...why does the drain plug on automatic transmission breaks loose clockwise instead of counter-clockwise?

I overtighten the bolt on my first attempt to break it loose on my mistubishi and the same story in my dads lexus.

Yes...ratchet and a socket.
smile.gif

Last edited:
When you are upside down underneath the car, often your sense of direction goes out the window. Set the ratchet to open before putting it on the bolt.

Originally Posted By: n00b76
Hello,
i just want to ask...why does the drain plug on automatic transmission breaks loose clockwise instead of counter-clockwise?

I overtighten the bolt on my first attempt to break it loose on my mistubishi and the same story in my dads lexus.

Only if you live in the southern hemisphere.

Noob76 - You apparently have the only two left-hand thread drain bolts in existance. Maybe an Australian export option
smile.gif

Of the vehicles I've done ATF drain/fills on w/ pan drain plugs; Isuzu, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai and Toyota, I've never seen one with reverse threads.

Joel

Yes, we all know what you're referring to.

The only reason why something would have a left-hand thread would be if it's something that turns or spins, and that spinning motion would loosen whatever nut or bolt is holding it on. The center hub nuts holding the wheels on F1 cars is a perfect example. One side of the car has right-handed threads while the other is left-handed.

That said, there's no reason whatsoever for a drain plug on an oil pan to have left-handed threads. Unless you live in Australia, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back