Automatic Stop and Start

Start stop is pretty much the only thing I hate about my 19 Equinox. I go out of my way to not pedal it down to set it off. After a while, you kinda get good at it..lol. It still does its S/S thing some times, but not as often...

I've been told that the Dealer (GM in this case) will soon offer a way to program it to stop working so it won't go off any more.....

Originally Posted by thastinger
Does the auto S/S disable itself if the AC is on?

Some do, some don't. The 2018 F150 Super Crew with 2.7L EB engine will shut down no matter what. Hot or cold. On a particularly annoying 100+ degree day last year, the thing would shut the engine off at the intersection and the blower would go to a low setting. Just about the time the temp starts rising into the uncomfortable zone, the engine cuts back on.

Unfortunately, because of the constant engine off condition, the cabin never really cooled off. I got fed up with it and pressed the button. Much better!

My 2015 Cherokee just has one battery too. And I turn it off every time I drive it. Same with the Renegade. Apparently if you plug something into the trailer wiring it disables it.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
Ugh, we have several roundabouts in NJ where approaching traffic yields to traffic already in the counter clockwise circular roadway and once in has the right of way to exit as desired. Not a nice time to feel your car shut down and wonder how many cranks it's going to take to re-start. No thank you.

They start instantly,I can't get my foot off the brake and on the gas before its running.They stop at TDC and only need a bump and its humming.

Yes the starting systems, oiling systems and other impacted systems are designed to handle the stresses of start-stop operation. IMO the problem is that the engine shuts off immediately when the vehicle stops, with most of these systems. The fuel required to keep an engine running for a few seconds is less than the fuel required to restart an engine. So until these systems get more intelligent, I would turn it off and do all the engine stopping/restarting myself. It would be great to tie the system to google maps which can see approximately how long you will be stopped, and decide to keep the engine running if you won't be stopped for longer than 10-15 seconds. But what am I thinking, it's only 2020 lol.

To ragtopiver: Thanks for the definition BAS (Belt Alternator Starter). Which vehicles have this?

To PimTac: Thanks for the Mazda link. Do all Mazda models have this? Is it available here in No. America?

Originally Posted by Kira
To ragtopiver: Thanks for the definition BAS (Belt Alternator Starter). Which vehicles have this?

To PimTac: Thanks for the Mazda link. Do all Mazda models have this? Is it available here in No. America?

They started it with 2019 as I recall. Not all models have it. It's big in Europe. I think the CX5 has it here in North America.

A '20 Soul that we tried has the S/S . Didn't mind it . The computer was showing 39.6 m.p.g.. Most likely 35 > 36 , our '18 Accent display is usually off 4 more than the hand calculation .

IMG_3439.JPG

IMG_3435.JPG

Last edited:
I liked the Stop/Start tech from the seventies & eighties cars.......
when they did that (die at stops) it was time to change fuel filters or spark-plugs.

Originally Posted by CT8
I hat it ,I jumpered the switch in the F150 as soon as I saw a wiring diagram.

Redneck 101 ingenuity...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Vercingetorix
Brings back memories. Halogen bulbs are too white. Fuel injection is complicated and Bubba at the garage can't work on it. Radial tires have weak sidewalls. The list goes on and on. Like it or not, the technology is here to stay. As far as increased wear, that was solved decades ago. Delivery trucks start at least 150 times every day and their starters seem to last.

You are going in the wrong direction with that! All the things you mention significantly improved the performance of the systems they are installed in, start/stop improves nothing at all except for possibly a minuscule MPG improvement. This technology is quite possibly not here to stay, if the customers don't want it or buy it it wont eg seat belt starter interlock and automatic systems.

@Trav, it's a feature to extend the life of the ICE technology a little more. Ultimately ICE is a dead end, though.

As mentioned by another poster, if this tech was added to a vehicle in the years between redesigns, then they more than likely share the same part numbers. So much for 'beefier starter system designed to handle the load'

Originally Posted by ozric
As mentioned by another poster, if this tech was added to a vehicle in the years between redesigns, then they more than likely share the same part numbers. So much for 'beefier starter system designed to handle the load'

Yeah. I haven't seen actual proof that the starter, etc., is any different than before.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
@Trav, it's a feature to extend the life of the ICE technology a little more. Ultimately ICE is a dead end, though.

Ultimately the seas will boil off in a billion years as the output of the sun increases and ultimately the universe is at a dead end when it reaches a nice uniform temperature of about 3 degrees kelvin in about 10 to the 1000 years.

But I think ICE will still be around within our lifetime, but maybe not everyone's lifetime. I think the Prius came out in 1997 and back then people were already proclaiming the death of ICE.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

Yeah. I haven't seen actual proof that the starter, etc., is any different than before.

I found this about the system on the Cherokee:

A stronger, 220-amp alternator
An absorbent glass mat (AGM) high-durability battery
A modified starter with hardened gears, reinforced castings, higher-power motor, longer life brushes, and higher-precision bearings and shaft
A large Denso starter solenoid

A voltage stabilization module that prevent voltage dips during cranking, providing a buffer for the car computers and such
A Bosch battery sensor which predicts voltage and capacity, and measures alternator current and battery temperature
Special programming in the car computer

Apparently only the Grand Cherokee has a separate battery for the stop start system.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by PowerSurge

I found this about the system on the Cherokee:

A stronger, 220-amp alternator
An absorbent glass mat (AGM) high-durability battery
A modified starter with hardened gears, reinforced castings, higher-power motor, longer life brushes, and higher-precision bearings and shaft
A large Denso starter solenoid

A voltage stabilization module that prevent voltage dips during cranking, providing a buffer for the car computers and such
A Bosch battery sensor which predicts voltage and capacity, and measures alternator current and battery temperature
Special programming in the car computer

Apparently only the Grand Cherokee has a separate battery for the stop start system.

That's good to hear. I'd like to see the specifications on others.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
The way that I understand it is, the starters & oiling systems are designed for this duty. Just as engines & fuel systems today, are designed to be able to withstand the lugging that the transmissions create in the name of fuel economy...IDK if I said all of that correctly but, I know what I am trying to say. It's all good!

This is correct. If I had a mechanic that didn't know how new systems are designed-I would look for another mechanic.

Back