Automatic Fire Extinguisher For Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost my house to a fire that started in my garage a couple years ago. What an increadable blow that was to my wife and kids. We lost most everything. I am happy to say that we rebuilt on the same spot and have/are recovering and doing well.

So I was thinking about putting a couple automatic fire extinguishers in my garage to prevent this from happening again. I store several ATVs, tools and shop equipment in my garage and can't take a loss like that again. I was looking at a ceiling mount unit like this: Link here. Does anyone have any experience with units like this, good or bad, I'd like to hear. Thanks

If you're on city water I'd get a sprinkler system. There's a stick-built tire shop around here that's plumbed for them in the bays, so its benefits outweigh the slight risk of water spreading a gasoline fire.

Water cools off a fire, which is why you see firemen spraying down a car fire with a wide fan of water spray.

That ebay thing looks kind of gadget-y

Check local codes and see if you can get an insurance discount that will offset the cost of something more expensive yet traditional.

The nationwide statistic is, or was, an ATTACHED garage increases the chances of your home burning down by 50%.

Sprinklers are the world's best fire extinguishers, and are available for rural residential situations, as well as those served with municipal water systems. As stated, expensive, but may qualify for discounted insurance premiums.

The device on ebay may be of value, but may also provide a false sense of security. As with any fire protection system, regular inspection and maintenance is required to insure proper operation. Good housekeeping practices are one of the best fire prevention measures you can do.

Speaking from 30 years of fire service involvement.

Regards

Boats in some cases have automatic fire extinguishers for the engine area, but its expensive per cubic foot. Tape libraries in computer rooms also have automatic fire extinguishers (use to be Halon) but again very expensive.

I am not sure how good a water sprinkler system is for a fire that probably started with a flammable liquid.

I was told (but not sure) that sprinklers are more to cut the smoke, and slow the fire to allow people to get out rather than to actually put the fire out.

Originally Posted By: Donald
. Tape libraries in computer rooms also have automatic fire extinguishers (use to be Halon) but again very expensive.

Halon is a CFC and was removed form production in the mid 90's. DC's now use FM-200

an auto system will need inspected on a regular basis, just like one at a big factory. the fire marshal might want to know you have that system to, in your city or county may have regs you will have to do. theses things are not all ways easy. do put some thought in to it.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I am not sure how good a water sprinkler system is for a fire that probably started with a flammable liquid.

I'm not a pyro expert but if the garage-to-house wall were 30 miunute rated drywall firewall the sprinklers might wash a flammable liquid out the front door or otherwise help control it to at least save the house.

an auto system will need inspected on a regular basis, just like one at a big factory. the fire marshal might want to know you have that system to, in your city or county may have regs you will have to do. theses things are not all ways easy. do put some thought in to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back