Automatic Climate Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ours is left on auto, set to 23C all year round. I only ever over ride it if I need to defrost the windscreen, otherwise I just let it do its thing.

My first car that had it was about 15 years ago. I figured it was a gimmicky doo-dad. But after using it for a few months, I was hooked. I hate driving my wife's truck with manual HVAC.

I hate waste. Always on A/C is a waste to me, so I don't use auto in my work car (personal cars are too bare bones to have it).

I also hate that most cars now turn on the compressor when directed at windshield and the fan is turned on. I'm smart enough to know when I want the a/c to run.

I'm also biased this way b/c small 4bangers will notice a MPG and HP drop with a/c use.
laugh.gif

Heh, my Saturn (that I used to own, an SL) had a huge black dashboard which I could feel the heat just roll off of. So I liked to put a/c to the defrost position in summer.

Boy, I'm so glad that the engineers blocked the recirculate feature in that setting, who knows how bad that would have ended up! Massive moisture build up, blocking the windshield in... summer? Oh wait...

frown.gif

I've never tried automatic climate control, someday I will. I do find myself idly tweaking temp up/down on long trips, not sure if out of boredom or if I just can't find the right temp, or if because as outdoor temps vary then the temp inside the vehicle varies. Certainly not ready yet to pay for it though.

I'm not a fan of automatic headlights, stupid restrictions on recirculate, and other "automatic" things which seem to automatically infuriate me. So I have low expectations for automatic HVAC.

It works wonders for my wife/I as she likes whatever her body is feeling and I like 70F permanent and not touching anything.

A really nice feature on my Acura MDX is blolwer is automatically lowered during a bluetooth call and returns when call is over.

Both my MDX and Subaru Legacy are well executed in that they blow air on windshield/feet automatically at least in winter when starting out then transition over to normal face/feet vents.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I usually don't use the auto feature on my Accord because it will jack the fan speed all the way up. I just don't like hearing it...I wonder if I can set it to auto and then change my fan speed, haven't tried that.

Yeah I always override the fan speed on my Grand Marquis, nothing I hate any worse than the blower running at max... ONLY if it's extremely hot and never in winter, will I ever run the blower at more than 40-60%...

I love the feature but my wife constantly screws with it. On my car that's fine but on a vehicle we share it can be fun.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I hate waste. Always on A/C is a waste to me, so I don't use auto in my work car (personal cars are too bare bones to have it).

You can press Auto and then press the AC button to switch AC off. Now you have it running in Auto, without using AC.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You can press Auto and then press the AC button to switch AC off. Now you have it running in Auto, without using AC.

This type of functionality unfortunately is missing from our Caravan, unless I'm missing something. If I touch anything, be it the fan speed, vent setting or AC button, the system will automatically switch to full manual mode.
It does a very good job in auto mode, but in those rare occasions where I would like a different fan speed or vent settings, it would be nice to have the auto mode with some user changeable settings.

I have driven vehicles with automatic HVAC, and hope to never own another. (My Cadillac has it.) I have found it never works as well as manual controls.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I have driven vehicles with automatic HVAC, and hope to never own another. (My Cadillac has it.) I have found it never works as well as manual controls.

Works great on our Q5 and 530i. It also worked great on my old A4 and wife's prior C300.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I'd say thing have changed quite a bit in 37 years....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back