Automatic Climate Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably going to get laughed at and called an old [censored] for this. So two of my cars have automatic climate control and today I realized I wasn't taking advantage of the actual "auto" part. Temps have been seasonably warm these past few days so I set the dial to a comfortable 72° and hit AUTO. Was neat seeing the changing fan speeds & vent warmth/coolness so the cabin stayed at the dialed in temperature. I noticed the A/C always stays on with the AUTO feature as well.

Pretty cool indeed
smile.gif

I always leave it at the temp - 71 in winter and 70 in summer. I let it do its thing just like I let the heat/AC do its thing.

Good story. My wife manually overrides the auto AC pretty frequently, she likes a weird mix of airflow & temperature I guess.

I love auto AC, in my experience it just works.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Good story. My wife manually overrides the auto AC pretty frequently, she likes a weird mix of airflow & temperature I guess.

jeff

My wife does the same thing. She's constantly fiddling with it and complains that it never works the way she wants it to.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: hatt
My 06 F350 Lariat had it. Until it stopped working. Current vehicles have manual A/C.

Probably the thermistor. IIRC it's a $30 part right behind the dashboard.

I want air on the windscreen and on my feet, but nothing blowing in my face. So I choosethe direction and temperature, but let the "Auto function" sort the blower speed and recirc (air quality sensor involved)

I can't quite figure mine out. Sometimes the AC light is will light and sometimes not. Does it make adjustments based on humidity? Sometimes it will blow just the bottom heater vents and sometimes bottom (heater) and middle (AC) vents. It always takes too long to settle down after reaching temperature and still wants to kick the fan at 75% high. I could understand short-tripping people going manual. Since I'm driving 1 hour minimum most of the time, it's very nice once it reaches temperature and is maintain mode.

I set mine at 72* and leave it there all the time. Works great! If it gets real cold out I turn on the heated seat for a few minutes. I have owned a lot of different vehicles and this Jeep is by far the most comfortable out of them all.

We keep it at 68F in the two cars that have automatic climate control; my wife's car has 184k on it and the system has never been touched- it still works great.

I usually don't use the auto feature on my Accord because it will jack the fan speed all the way up. I just don't like hearing it...I wonder if I can set it to auto and then change my fan speed, haven't tried that.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I can't quite figure mine out. Sometimes the AC light is will light and sometimes not. Does it make adjustments based on humidity? Sometimes it will blow just the bottom heater vents and sometimes bottom (heater) and middle (AC) vents. It always takes too long to settle down after reaching temperature and still wants to kick the fan at 75% high. I could understand short-tripping people going manual. Since I'm driving 1 hour minimum most of the time, it's very nice once it reaches temperature and is maintain mode.

With my Fords and my previous Infiniti the AC light will come on above a certain outside temp (50 or so) to add some cool air if you are in the sunlight. When it needs to heat you get air at your feet and when it needs to cool you get air at your face. Fan is proportional to the delta between inside air and set point. Need to heat/cool it a lot you get high fan. Need a little bit and it's slow.

Last edited:
Our Grand Caravan is the first vehicle with the auto climate control and so far we love it. It is set to full auto at 72 and so far it delivers and maintains the temp nicely. It is especially important in the back where the little ones sit.
I fiddled with it once so far and it was on a trip when it was cold out, but very sunny. I had to lower the temp and put the vents on face to cools us down a bit in the front seats. After that it went full auto with the lower temp.
Hopefully it will perform as well during summer.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I wonder if I can set it to auto and then change my fan speed, haven't tried that.

You should be able to. That's essentially a semi-auto mode. Granted, it may not be able to achieve the desired temp if there isn't enough airflow.

Loved the auto on my CVLX. I would run around 72F in the winter and 70F in the summer. Worked great. Too bad its a pain to convert the manual controls to it, or I would do it on my CVPI.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
My 06 F350 Lariat had it. Until it stopped working. Current vehicles have manual A/C.

The A/C fan would work on high. I didn't worry about messing with it. The 6.0 Powerstroke warranty had just ran out too. Traded it in as fast as I could.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

The A/C fan would work on high. I didn't worry about messing with it. The 6.0 Powerstroke warranty had just ran out too. Traded it in as fast as I could.

Smart man.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
Originally Posted By: greenjp

jeff
My wife does the same thing. She's constantly fiddling with it and complains that it never works the way she wants it to.
33.gif

I'm in the same class with your wives !

I hate auto A/C, I always manually turn on or off with desired fan speed.

My S2000 has manual A/C and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back