Automatic Choke in Toro Personal Pace Lawnmower

Status
Not open for further replies.
The automatic choke on my Toro personal pace lawnmower is wide open at initial start. Nothing appears to be gummed up as all the linkage moves without issue. The only way I can get it to start is to reach in with a screwdriver and close butterfly disc while someone else pulls cord. Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Jim

Get me the engine numbers and I'll figure it out for you. If you can't get me the engine numbers, get me the model and serial numbers off the mower.

I have an Airens with Kohler Courage and had choke issues. I found dried grass covering the linkage that was hard to spot until I took everything off covering the carb.

I will post the engine numbers when I pull them later today. Sorry, that's info I should have had already. When I had it apart I didn't notice any linkage towards the muffler only linkage that kept it open without resistance. The linkage in place moved easily from open to close but its normal position was open.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jrf71
Toro GTS 6.0HP lawnmower with engine Model & type= 12H807-1775-E1 and Code= 99040756.

My IPL says there was 3 different carburetors available for that engine:

A primer carb; a manual choke carb; and an automatic choke carb.

If it were me, I'd switch out the automatic choke carb for a manual choke carb.

Your automatic carb is B&S # 790845.

The manual choke carb is B&S # 499059

Let me know what you want to do. I can email you the IPL and the service manual.

You got 15 years of good service out of the auto choke. I'd be inclined to just fix the autochoke and get another 15 years out of it. The part you need to change (Briggs 593208 thermostat) bolts behind the muffler and is easy to change.

The other version of that engine usually doesnt have a choke. It just has a simple primer bulb which enriches the start up and sorta acts like a choke. You can change the carb to the primer version (Briggs part 799868) and you will also need the aircleaner base for primer engines (part 795259) or add the primer (Briggs 694395) to your current base.

Originally Posted By: jrf71
Toro GTS 6.0HP lawnmower with engine Model & type= 12H807-1775-E1 and Code= 99040756.

Look on your engine for this part:
61nDTEMiJqL._SX450_.jpg

Replace it. The part number is 790830. The thermostat is supposed to keep the choke closed when the engine is cold. But keep in mind though the thermostat is about the same price as a new carburetor with a manual choke.

Watch this video:

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The part you need to change (Briggs 593208 thermostat) bolts behind the muffler and is easy to change.

According to my IPL for the 12H800 Model series with Type numbers 0653 thru 6699, the part number for the choke thermostat is 790830.

I guess I just assumed it was an automatic choke but it very well can be the primer bulb version. I have both parts you mentioned in the primer scenario. They just appear to be very simple parts that I didn't think they could fail.

Is the spring that keeps the choke closed when the heat riser isn't holding it open missing? Remove the plastic top and take a digital picture of what's there and we can tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back