Auto Trans with NO dipstick question

Hi,

I am a very suspicious person by nature, so this is why I am asking this question.....

As I posted a few days ago, I plan on having my ATF fluid changed on my 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition shortly at 40K miles and still deciding on either Hyundai SP4-M, or the compatible fluid from Amsoil or Maxlife. As you know, the 2.0 engine in the 2017 Elantra does NOT have a dipstick. So, even using a well known respected honest dealer or same with independent shop, how exactly would I know that the fluid was actually changed since there is no way of me know WITHOUT a dipstick??

Just have to blindly trust the dealer or independent shop?? Anyone else feel this way? I dont want to offend a shop and ask them "how do I know you actually changed the fluid"?

Ask for the old transmission filter back. Or install a dash cam and at least see if they put it up on the lift.

You could check to see if wrenched every touched the various drain and fill caps. You could see if there is any residual fluid on the areas around the transmission.

You gotta find a shop you can trust. Do you think you could find one of the Hyundai mechanics that works from his home?

There is an inspection port on the side of the pan. D and F is not difficult on this trans. DIY if you are that worried.

Last edited:
I feel the same way as you because ive had a hard time finding a trustworthy mechanic, thats why i'd rather do a drain and fill myself than let some kid butcher it .

Take it to the dealership or do it yourself. The fill port is on the driver's side next to the battery. There is an inspection port on the side of the transmission. There is no filter or pan to drop. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission.

I did mine in a jeep compass with same transmission, real ez but go slow pouring in atf. 3 qts should come out and I used maxlife instead of the 20 per qt ripoff Hyundai spec 4 or mopar atf.

D/F on that car should be easy to do. DIY is the only way if you wanna get it done right while you know what to do and have tools.
As for pouring ATF in, I always disconnect ATF cooler line to let air escape when pouring, it goes in very quickly, just don't forget to attach it after.
Cooler lines should be marked with red and yellow paint, disconnect red one.

With no pan to drop, you won't know it was done unless you can watch. It's also a ~$20 DIY vs. a $200 dealer job most likely.

Back