Auto-Rx in a brand new car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran Auto-Rx in a new car. A local lab agreed to test for Fe levels. I was not looking for a complete uoa so I could run a couple of more tests. Car, new Honda Fit driven as a delivery vehicle about 5 to 7 hundred miles a week, lots of stop and go combined with freeway running in LA rush hour traffic, brutal stuff. Sample at 97 miles on factory fill showed 16ppm Fe. Then 4 ounces of Auto-Rx was added at 112 miles. A new sample was taken at 1,023 miles, Fe=151 ppm. Factory fill and filter was changed at 3,002 miles plus 4 ounces of Auto-Rx. Sample taken at 4,997 miles, Fe=11 ppm. Oil and filter was changed at 6,102 miles. Sample was taken at 7,102 miles and Fe=3 ppm. Oil was Motorcraft 5w-20 and the filters were Honda dealer filters. My reaction to these numbers is that Auto-Rx got in there and really cleaned out this new engine. The reason for only testing for Fe was budget and I would like to think that it was a good indicator of how clean the engine was inside. This engine has very little iron in it and I think the readings might have included other particles that get tangled up with oxidation. Maybe some lab expert can chime in here.

I'm not an expert, but I believe that Auto RX helps get contaminants into, and remain, in the filter, in addition to keeping the metals clean in the engine so that the oil can keep in contact with that metal rather than keeping in contact with the debris that builds up on those surfaces.

I'm using some in my new race bike this year. Not really a way to gauge performance as I don't have two bikes, but I'm going to try it anyway as my own test on something new.

"cosynthetics" It is the reduction of iron particulates in this "new' engine after using Auto-Rx Maintenance Dose.

SD26 Your analysis is appreciated. Please follow application for bikes (Cycle-Rx) on Auto-Rx Home Page.

Thanks, Frank!

I'm not going to get many miles on, and, usually, we do oil changes with some regularity just to see what's going on inside. Basically, it's a motor that has 1200 miles that has been disassembled, cleaned up, with just minor cam timing changes, then reassembled.

Do you think I should do more than just a maintenance dose?

If I put on 2500 miles on it during the year, I'd be surprised.

Sorry to take this off topic... Should we start a new thread, Frank?

Maintenance Dose Would be fine. Think when you look at internals after maintenace dose you will find "Auto-Rx Cleans Out Parts Of The Engine That Normally Call For Teardown"

I'm going to be interested in seeing how it works with a slipper clutch. Most of our tear downs are related to valve replacement. They are made of titanium, and they really don't have durability over a long, long time.

If we can keep the ring pack and everything clean with Auto RX, I'm hoping that I'll have a "fast bike" in our simple set up.

Now to really take things off topic on Auto RX...would there be any potential for some advantage to putting Auto RX, in a very small amount, in the light grease that we use in wheel bearings to promote keeping the metals clean and free of stiction? I'm thinking a little out of the box.

Barkerman,

At the very least the ARX did not impeed the ring to wall break in period based on the iron readings. Alot of times during break in there is alot of heat generated as the rings seat. It is likely that oil deposits can form from the high heat. Perhaps you can feed us some compression readings at about 10K, to qualify a good break in of this new motor. Who knows, this may be a new application. Engine break in, with ARX.

Currently using Auto-Rx in our new(er) SX4, in an attempt to expedite the "flushing out of the break-in debris" process.

Thanks for the info, Barkerman.

I think it shows that Auto-Rx would be a good idea right from the start. It appears that Auto-Rx did not interfere with ring sealing and may well have helped it by getting in there and cleaning out deposits out right away. There may not be much but less is better. We tried to structure the test to give Auto-Rx a bit of time to work before the samples were taken.

It's surely inferential. I can't see the controls being setup without some real expense.

I guess if you could find a commercial outfit that bought two identical units at the same time ..and they both saw near identical service...

For that matter, make it a whole fleet and just choose two units to use Auto-Rx on and test them all. Again, you're tasked with first finding a new fleet that's willing to perform the sampling and the money to pay for the tests. Now if you have a gasoline fleet that already performs UOA on their units, then it's very easy. You just offer to pick up the tab for one test each and randomly choose two units for Auto-Rx. I guess you could use half the fleet for added validation.

While Auto-Rx has always appeared transparent in UOA (for the most part), I can only cite my own observation with a magnetic drain plug. It would always have a graphite like collection on it (that was a real frustrating pain to get totally clean). It was totally clean at the end of the clean phase oil change. My speculation is that it was basically pushed off by Auto-Rx. It was the only thing different for over a decade.

I imagine that the quicker drop off in metals is due to being forcibly removed from where they reside "en mass"

That is pretty interesting Gary. It will be interesting to see if it stays clean after the rinse phase. If not then it would be interesting to see if running a maintenance dose would clean it back up again.

I am currently running a transmission cleaning dose in the wifes ride, an 04 3800 series power plant in an Impala. I will drop the trans pan and take a visual of the magnet. I think it has a magnet.

I am trying to figure out why these likely super fine particles would liberate from the magnet. Perhaps the polar attraction of ARX is stronger than the Magnet?

I noticed a wierd occurance recently, with ARX. I had used a two quart optically clear to drain my lawn tractor oil into for the last few years. Then the bottle would sit full for about 6 months before I was ready for the next oil change. At that point I would finally get around to having it dumped up at the quick oil change facility up the road. Over the course of several oil changes, a stubborn black amount of residue accumulated in the bottom of the bottle, yet the oil draining from the motor always looked real clean coming out after 25 hours of service life. I sloshewd around some mineral spirits in attempt to remove this black deposit, with very little impact. I tried a little bit of motor oil with a small splash of ARX and started to swirl the little bottle around to provide some agitation. I was shocked that in very short order that all that fine black residue was picked up off the bottom of the jug and suspended in the oil/ARX mix. I really did think it would have been effective with no heat involved and somewhat limited circulation. I am wondering if this is somewhat of a similar occurance, although no magnet is involved.

Quote:
I am trying to figure out why these likely super fine particles would liberate from the magnet. Perhaps the polar attraction of ARX is stronger than the Magnet?

I was
54.gif
too. I could only attribute it to the Auto-Rx. The particles did return, but because my daughter overheated the engine and warping the heads. The coolant took care of providing lots of metals for the plug to pick up. A new long block was installed and the van was then stolen with about 10k on the engine. I don't have another magnetic plug'd vehicle at present.

I would like someone else who has a magnetic drain plug, that routinely has debris on it, to do an Auto-Rx cleaning and see if like results are produced.

I don't think a trans magnet would produce the same results unless auxiliary filtration was employed. I'm assuming that the chelating(like) action of Auto-Rx left the material in the oil filter. A trans filter is a bit too course to do that ..or so I reason
21.gif

You might be right with respect to the course filter. But I will examine it anyway just to see. The trans fluid is about 20K older than I like to run it. I hope to see that the filter has not loaded up too bad. I've got to tone down the wifes driving or make a note to check her odometer more often. Thank [censored] for the change engine oil light.

Originally Posted By: SD26
I'm going to be interested in seeing how it works with a slipper clutch. Most of our tear downs are related to valve replacement. They are made of titanium, and they really don't have durability over a long, long time.

If we can keep the ring pack and everything clean with Auto RX, I'm hoping that I'll have a "fast bike" in our simple set up.

Now to really take things off topic on Auto RX...would there be any potential for some advantage to putting Auto RX, in a very small amount, in the light grease that we use in wheel bearings to promote keeping the metals clean and free of stiction? I'm thinking a little out of the box.

I have 17K on my zx9r and I am going to put in a maintenance dose this summer for a couple oci's just because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back