Auto-rx and stuck thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the cleaning cycle of ARX, the thermostat on my 94 Saturn SL was stuck open so the engine was running pretty cool. would this affect the cleaning? I am currently on the rinse with a new thermostat.

I would say yes, slightly. But it may be 100% fine at the all important ring and ring grooves. As far as I know AutoRx is not heat activated, and it seems as it would be plenty hot at the rings.

On the positive side, I'll bet the A-rx helped any cold temp sludge build up!

Kevz, I had the very same problem when I did my first Auto-Rx cleaning on my wifes 1997 BMW 318i. After replacing the thermostat I drained the oil and and repaeated the Auto-Rx cleaning with new Rotella T 10W-30 and a new bottle of Auto-Rx.

I seem to remember reading that Auto-Rx needed to be hot to properly perform it's cleaning function.

the engine has 110k on it now...
I changed the oil at 1500 miles on the cleaning cycle.
i am about 1200 miles on the rinse.
The saturn burns about a quart every 3k, i add a little oil every 1k.
When i had the bad thermostat, the engine did get warm enough so wouldn't didn't fast idle.

maybe i'm ok?

Yeah, we're talking the difference between 160 and 190. 160 is still pretty warm IMO for the coolant. The oil temp is still going to be above that by a bit.

Should not be a big deal. ARX cleans best under highest oil pressure and heat. However if the cleaning phase was for 1500 miles, should have had a good cleaning. You will probably see some fairly dirty oil form during the rinse phase.

I was checking the dip stick today, there were tiny black peices of sludge? I dipped the stick back in and there was another black peice...
My oil seems pretty dark for 1200 miles (90% highway)
I wonder if my oil filter is clogged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back