Auto Battery insulators / insulation

Contemplating getting something like this. The heat here is pretty hard on batteries.

Anyone run these? Do you think they help? I can see them holding heat in just as much as they keep heat out?

Is this stuff something special or basically just reflectix? A roll of reflectix is much cheaper for more?

1703302728569.png

While it does look a bit gimmicky there may be some thermal protection by using it. I'd take a thermal temp gun to test the temperature of your battery before starting the engine & then retest the temp, after the hoods been down engine running, to get the heated temperature difference. Go from there. You could buy this & test some more to see the actual temp shielding. Personally I'd not buy it. I'll continue relying on the plastic box doing it's thing. You can minimize idling your engine to minimize the heat too.

At some point the insulation achieves the same temperature as ambient air temp or that of what ever hot / cold thing is next to it.

There is no active heating or cooling here, just a blanket made of some cotton and foil. Save your money.

It's a layer of protection from the heat. Might be worth a try. Many cars have had these for decades now. It is a little pricey in my opinion but can be reused for the life of the vehicle, provided the person who changes your next battery is sharp enough to transfer it to your new battery..

My Subaru has one from the factory. When changing batteries I have to carefully put it on new battery.

In one Subaru the mice liked it.

But in reality all it will do is to slow the battery from getting to the under hood temperature. After shutting the engine off the under hood temp may rise a bit before cooling off to outside temperature. It might prevent the battery from having it temperature rise much after shutting off the engine. Hard to measure as opening the hood to measure would disrupt things.

On my MAZDA CX5 the insulation keeps hot air from blowing on the battery. I had a new battery installed at a BATTERIES ONE place and they tossed the insulation. I retrived it and installed it. They do this out of lack of understanding or to sell more batteries down the road. TOO many "self appointed"-experts in the automotive world.

My Ranger is the only vehicle with a battery 'blanket' in the family.
Plastic boxes, sure.

Interestingly, the Ranger has air passages to deliver cold intake air. No K&N needed.
The battery, on the mirror opposite side, has the same opportunity for cold air passage. I wonder why no 'battery breeze'?

I bought factory battery insulators like this for the Grand Caravan, my former trucks I got used, and a Subaru we have here.

The factory puts them on for a reason, since they don’t spend a dollar unless it’s necessary.

I can’t attest that it’s made everything wonderful for the battery, it does make the engine compartment look nicer 😁.

I have tried it. It’s good material, but it doesn’t handle abrasion well. install it as you would art.

My younger sister had a Chevy Colorado. The battery was in a box which had a pipe to get cooler air while driving instead of getting heat soaked.
My 07 Mazda3 has a setup like this. A snorkel right below the rad support upper bar channels outside air into a battery box (only while moving, of course). Also seems to help with corrosion, maybe? The original terminals still look brand new so perhaps. Runs directly over the air box for the filter, and has to come out to access said filter, but isn't too bad. The original battery lasted 10 years, so may be helpful to battery life, as well. Idk.

Back