Auto apply parking brake necessary ?

I almost never use the parking foot brake in my Camry. Wife has the auto parking brake in her rav4. It's great. Can't think of any reason to complain about it or want to disable it.

I very rarely use the parking brake. Oh, I use it a little more often if its a stick-shift car, but that's only if I detect the parking spot has a slope to it. On the other side of the coin, I owned a 5-speed S-10 pickup for awhile where the parking brake didn't work at all. I made sure to always park in gear, and even more so, to always park with the wheels turned against a curb or something if there was any kind of a slope.

I was watching Drew Peacock on Youtube and he was making fun of someone parking their manual car in gear. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I am sure that's the owner's manual says to do it that way. Plus set the parking brake.

Reactions: D60
I only use it on my manual car--put her in 1st, and pull the parking brake. In the garage, only 1st.

On our two automatic cars, never use the parking brake unless on a serious incline....

San Francisco - Incorrect uphill curbing.

Untitled_122.jpg

Does auto parking brake necessary if I only park on flat area? Whenever I park my lexus apply auto parking brake on, I feel it does more harm then good. I'm I wrong? Should I disable it ?
Don't know about Lexus-but I an "automatic" electric one on my Silverado. Self applies only when parking on a noticeable angle. Then is no need to disconnect-it does so automatically when gas is applied. You would be surprised at the number of guys who do not it automatically disengages. But then again-no printed owners manual so.......it's a PDF.

Back