Audible vibration from clutch pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.
'94 Mustang GT 5.0, manual tranny. Lately, I get an audible vibration from the clutch pedal in the 1700-2400 rpm range only. What's funny is if I lightly rest my foot on the clutch pedal, the vibration goes away. If I release my foot, the vibration returns. Only in the 1700-2400 rpm range. It's either not there, or I can't hear it when in 4th or 5th gear. But it's clearly audible in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Otherwise, the car drives and shifts fine, no grinding, etc. Any ideas what this could be?

This is the original tranny/clutch, about 93K miles on it. Fluid was replaced at 90K with Valvoline MaxLife DexronIII/Mercon (Ford calls for DexronIII/Mercon in this manual tranny).

As sbc350gearhead said I would first suspect the bearing but!!! you said you rest your foot on the peddle? I would also wonder about the whole clutch. I have seen / felt them vibrate with broken fingers so I would while in there replace the pressure plate and clutch disk and turn the flywheel. Go with a good quality aftermarket clutch not something from one of your chain stores.

Ken

Wow, you guys make it sound like the problem is more serious than I expected. There's no actual shaking in the clutch pedal, it's more of a buzzing noise between 1700-2400 rpm that goes away when I rest my foot on the clutch pedal (say, pushing the pedal in maybe 1/2 inch). If I drive with my foot resting on the clutch, the sound is not there at all, but If I completely remove my foot from the clutch between shifts, it's there.

So it could be the throwout bearing, huh? This car is driven about 2000 miles a year or less (basically, a weekend driver), but if it's as serious as you suggest it might be, I should take it in and have it looked at.

Thanks, and any other suggestions appreciated.

This is a hydrolic clutch, right?

If so, you would not feel anything on the clutch pedal it self. It sounds to me like your TO bearing is making contact with the clutch fingers while the clutch pedal is all the way out.

I'd try adjusting the clutch, although some are "self adjusting", but at 93k miles, I'd just replace the whole thing (clutch, pp, TO bearing, and resurface the flywheel) and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back