Asking for Help from Nissan Sentra Owners 2015 to 2019 with 1.8 Liter Engine

I’m asking for help from anyone with a Nissan Sentra with the 1.8 Liter Engine with either Automatic Transmission or Manual Transmission. I have a 2019 Nissan Sentra S 6 speed manual transmission with the 1.8 Liter Engine I purchased new in 2020 and it now has approx 7500 miles on it. I have engine noise after my car has reached full operating temperature. I think the noise might be normal but I don't know anyone else that has the same car as I do so I'm not sure. Please help me by checking your car and responding back to me with the results on this forum? To test your car let the engine reach full operating temperature then let it warm up at least an additional 10 minutes. Put the parking brake on and turn off the AC, Fan and Radio and put transmission in neutral (or Park or Neutral if it’s an Automatic Transmission) then take foot off of the clutch if it’s a manual transmission. In neutral bring engine to 2000 to 2400 RPM and hold it steady at a constant RPM and you can hear the noise a definite lite knocking or tapping or chatter and you can vary the RPM up and down within 2000 to 2400 RPM and also hear it. I do not hear the noise when driving the car except occasionally a little between shifting gears at slow speed when road noise is low. I also do not hear the noise until at least 10 minutes after the engine has reached full operating temperature. If your car has the same noise then I will likely conclude that the noise is normal. If not, I might need to take my car to my Nissan Dealership for possible warranty work. It sounds to me like timing chain slack noise but I'm not sure. Please let me know your outcome on this post, after you check your car. Also, can you let me know what Oil and Filter you are using...I changed my oil at 4000 miles with Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic 0W20 with an OEM Nissan Oil Filter. Thanks to all for your help!

a definite lite knocking or tapping or chatter and you can vary the RPM up and down within 2000 to 2400 RPM and also hear it.
Probably fuel injectors. They all make some noise that varies with engine speed. Direct injection is common for that but all injectors are solenoids at heart so they make noise.

Some modern small Nissan engines use dual injection. Not to be confused with having DI and port injection both. Two port injectors per cylinder. One might kick in at a high RPM making the noise.

I thought Nissan phased out the dual-MPFI injectors when multi-hole or controlled spray pattern injector pintle orifice/tips became the norm.

Automatic or manual? Which one is yours? and yes, then noises will be different. Heavy fluid filled torque converter is drastically different than a flywheel, pressure plate, pilot/throwout bearings/bushings, drivetrain mounts....

To rule out engine/lubrication issue, at your next oil filter change interval, use either a 5w30 or an aftermarket synthetic filter(Xp/Platinum/Boss/Ultra), and then use both at the interval after it.

0w20 + OE filter = noise
synth 5w30 + OE filter = ?
0w20 + synthfilter = ?
synth 5w30 + synthfilter = ?

If dealer trip yields nothing, then post an update in 20k miles if any of the above helps.

And above all, check oil level regularly, per your owners manual, and keep it full. Will assume your transmission is full.

Any, post a youtube video of the so-called noise.

There could be some injector noise. @Greasymechtech has some good advice. Go to a 5W30 full synthetic next oil change and get a good oil filter. FRAM Tough Guard, FRAM Ultra or WIX/NAPA Gold. Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic, Mobil 1 original or Castrol GTX Magnatec.

I thought Nissan phased out the dual-MPFI injectors when multi-hole or controlled spray pattern injector pintle orifice/tips became the norm.

Automatic or manual? Which one is yours? and yes, then noises will be different. Heavy fluid filled torque converter is drastically different than a flywheel, pressure plate, pilot/throwout bearings/bushings, drivetrain mounts....

To rule out engine/lubrication issue, at your next oil filter change interval, use either a 5w30 or an aftermarket synthetic filter(Xp/Platinum/Boss/Ultra), and then use both at the interval after it.

0w20 + OE filter = noise
synth 5w30 + OE filter = ?
0w20 + synthfilter = ?
synth 5w30 + synthfilter = ?

If dealer trip yields nothing, then post an update in 20k miles if any of the above helps.

And above all, check oil level regularly, per your owners manual, and keep it full. Will assume your transmission is full.

Any, post a youtube video of the so-called noise.
I have a 6 speed manual transmission. I've been checking oil level regularly at about ever 2 to 3 weeks since I purchased the car and no oil usage, it has remained at full level. I did my DIY Oil Change at 4000 miles with Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic 0W20 and Nissan OEM Oil Filter and I ensured oil level was to full mark but not over full when I changed the oil. I have kept all receipts from the my DIY oil change and plan to continue to do so. Per owners manual oil required is 0W20 Full Synthetic API SN & ILSAC GF5. Per Nissan owners manual there is no other oil other than 0W20 Full Synthetic API SN & ILSAC GF5 0W20 to meet Nissans requirments for this engine and I'm using the Nissan OEM oil filter purposely to stay within warranty requirements. I do understand I can use a Full Synthetic API SP & ILSAC GF6A oil because it is backwards compatible to API SN & ILSAC GF5 but I can't use other than 0W20 or it might void my warranty and I also prefer using the OEM oil filter to aviod any warranty issues until 60000 miles when the power train warranty is up. I am open to using other 0W20 API SP & ILSAC GF6A or API SN & ILSAC GF5 Full Synthetic oils at my upcoming oil change at 8000 miles that's only 500 mile from now. I've considered Castrol Edge, Castrol Magnatec, Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Advanced. I first noticed the engine noise around 5500 to 6000 miles so it's possible my 1.8 liter MRA8DE engine is just noisy with the Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic oil?

Use a stethoscope and see if the noise is coming from under the valve covers or if the noise is closer to the fuel injectors. I would bet it is injector noise and is normal.

Warranty requirements allow the usage of ANY brand filter. So, you don't need to use an OE filter for warranty.

Engine also allowed 5w30 when it was released. Their oil grade is a recommendation for best fuel economy and not required.

5W30 is the recommended oil for that engine in Australia. Here, it’s all about meeting fuel mileage standards.

Warranty requirements allow the usage of ANY brand filter. So, you don't need to use an OE filter for warranty.

Engine also allowed 5w30 when it was released. Their oil grade is a recommendation for best fuel economy and not required.
Greasymechtech

Thank you for your post advise. Yes, you are correct, any third party filter meeting OEM or higher standards can be used and technically not void the warranty. I'm am being overly cautious and using the OEM Nissan filter because I'm a bit mistrustful of car manufacturers trying to get out of warranty repair claims that's why I'm sticking to Nissan OEM filter...if I ever have a powertrain warranty repair claim then Nissan can never say I did not use a Genuinue Nissan part (Oil Fliter) on my car. Again, it's just me being a bit overly cautious. I did research the OEM Nissan Filter for this car and it's a well made quality filter that gets good reviews so I am comfortable using it. After the 60000 mile powertrain warranty is up I will likely use an aftermarket premium synthetic oil filter. Same reason I will probably stick to 0W20 Full Synthetic SN GF-5 oil, instead of trying 5W30 as I mistrust the car manufacture for not honoring any potential repair warranty claim if I go outside of the oil listed in the manual during the powertrain warranty period. I am however considering using another 0W20 SN GF-5 full synthetic brand oil on my next oil change possibly Castrol Edge, Castrol Magnatec, Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Advanced. Thanks again for your posts

Update...I had another 2019 Nissan Sentra S 6 speed manual owner post back to me yesterday, in another post, that his car makes the same noise as I stated in this original post. I also saw on another site a post from another Nissan owner with the same MRA8DE 1.8 Liter engine and he stated similar noise as this original post. I'm at least initially leaning to the fact that this noise is normal for this Sentra MRA8DE 1.8 Liter engine. Engine noise does not bother me if it's normal for the engine in question. I'm just trying to ensure it is normal as what would bother be is a premature mechanical engine failure between 60K (when manufacturer power train warranty goes out) and 200K miles as I typically try to get at least 200K out of my cars (and I shoot for 250K to 300K). With a manual transmission I don't have to worry about a CVT transmission failure and I suspect I would need to change the clutch out at approx 110K to 150K miles (about $1500 for clutch change) and maybe the timing chain at 150K.

Thanks to All for taking time to post...This forum is a great resource

Any other 2015 to 2019 1.8 Liter Nissan Sentra owners I'd welcome your post answer to original question...

Back