5L60e Transmission is not hitting 3rd or 4th gear. Strange series of events. N8

I had a 300 mile road trip in my 06 trailblazer and 3 days after, I had a leak in the transmission cooling lines from being rusted through. I immediately parked it and had the lines replaced!

But on it first test drive, it would not shift Into 3rd or 4th gears!! So then I again immediately parked it up on my repair ramps to investigate. I was researching the problem and read this issue can be a faulty set of shift solenoids. So I immediately dropped the oil pan and just replaced everything listed below. I decided to just replace all these components just to be sure things are sound.

All 4L60E Shift Solenoids and parts...

2- Shift Solenoids (A&B).
1- Transmission 3-2 Shift Solenoid Valve.
1- Transmission Torque Converter Clutch Pulse Width Modulation Valve.
1- Transmission Accumulator.
1- Filter and Gasket.
Over 5 quarts of Dextron Mercon

"" First test drive slowly cycling all the gears AND NO IMPROVEMENT"" Only reverse, 1st and second (and maybe it sounded even worse like a harsh grinding sound twice).

The car has upwards 200K. I maintain the car extremely well and I seldom drive it more than 50 miles in a given month and have never had any" Drivetrain" problems until now.

HELP! Can someone explain how and why this is happening.???

Thanks
Joseph (stranded in S.E. Michigan)...

Diagnose before changing parts. You didn't seem to replace enough parts

That's the answer? I'm confused. I think the only part in/under there I didn't replace was the wiring harness. The symptoms of the issue led my diagnosis to suspect the shift solenoids and lack of routine maintenance. I didn't see a drain plug or any way to service the transmission oil so I ignored it.

The transmission fluid level is perfect.

Last edited:
You shot it with that big of a parts cannon without even knowing what was wrong with it? Through an Internet diagnosis?

And your name is Joseph?

Wow! I'm OUTTA HERE. Thanks! Like I Really need this crap. I'm feeling really low as it is! If you don't know what the true problem is "With My Car" then please leave me alone.

Sounds like you stumped the band Buddy. Have a little patience and maybe some of the pros will offer useful info. Regardless, please post a follow up :cool:

Without doing some testing, not parts tossing which is all you have done, no one can know exactly what is wrong with your car. That said, To lose 3 and 4 you likely have a mechanical problem in the transmission. You can unplug the transmission electrical connector and you wind up with only 3rd gear on a functional transmission

Thanks for a nice proper reply.

I am a 66yo widower and disabled Vietnam veteran and disability income since my discharge in 1975. I live alone and I can only manage to work with those $$ constraints! I had hoped to get by as cheaply as I can but my past few months I've been offering $$ help to my granddaughter in her first semester in college 150 miles away in Grand Rapids is when my transmission gave up as soon as I got back.

The old 4L60Es did this when they broke the "sun gear".

If the solenoids went out there would probably be a CEL and codes to go along with them.

@Papoo, welcome here.

I wish I could help, but know very little about automatic transmissions.

I'm expecting some of our resident tranny experts to weigh in. They will provide you with solid advice.

Perhaps someone can recommend a good tranny shop in your area.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

The old 4L60Es did this when they broke the "sun gear".

If the solenoids went out there would probably be a CEL and codes to go along with them.
Funny you would mention trouble codes! The first thing I did when the transmission presented the problem was to get my scanner out but the cars "onboard computer" could not and would not connect to the scanner and couldn't work.

My first attempt at diagnosis didn't work so that's when I sought an answer on the web. And the 1st solution was my expensive attempt to fix it myself.

Your best bet may be to find a reputable transmission shop that will diagnose it and replace what needs replacing. It may not cost as much as you think, and there are shops like that still out there.

I had a more suspension oriented shop replace the vacuum modulator on my 94 Explorer while they were doing other stuff in an attempt to fix a noise. The truck shifted fine before, but had a weird slip/delayed engagement after that (they told me and did not charge me - long time business friend). I looked at many decade old posts on forums and put together a pretty good idea of what happened, but thankfully decided to just hand it off to a pro. I was half way right, the previous shop lost a little pin that is a common mistake for people not familiar with it, but the modulator I got was also wrong despite lots of checking. He had the right modulator, and now it's the best shifting truck I own. He charged me $235 and the job involves removing part of the exhaust.

Having someone who really knows transmissions actually look at it is probably the best way out of this. Even some Aamcos can be good (they are franchises). The place I went to is a fully independent shop still operated by the owner, who built it in 1983. He's not trying to get people in for general repairs and maintenance, strictly transmission work, and the parking lot is everything from 1950s to current.

Your best bet may be to find a reputable transmission shop that will diagnose it and replace what needs replacing. It may not cost as much as you think, and there are shops like that still out there.

I had a more suspension oriented shop replace the vacuum modulator on my 94 Explorer while they were doing other stuff in an attempt to fix a noise. The truck shifted fine before, but had a weird slip/delayed engagement after that (they told me and did not charge me - long time business friend). I looked at many decade old posts on forums and put together a pretty good idea of what happened, but thankfully decided to just hand it off to a pro. I was half way right, the previous shop lost a little pin that is a common mistake for people not familiar with it, but the modulator I got was also wrong despite lots of checking. He had the right modulator, and now it's the best shifting truck I own. He charged me $235 and the job involves removing part of the exhaust.

Having someone who really knows transmissions actually look at it is probably the best way out of this. Even some Aamcos can be good (they are franchises). The place I went to is a fully independent shop still operated by the owner, who built it in 1983. He's not trying to get people in for general repairs and maintenance, strictly transmission work, and the parking lot is everything from 1950s to current.
I have 50 years of driving and the only time (1981) I took a car to a transmission shop where i paid about 300$ and it never made it on the street. It broke down in the plaza mall parking lot and they refused to give us a warranty. So I haven't really trusted professional auto garage's ever since with few exceptions. Until now, I have been doing almost all my own repairs on cars (nothing intimidated me). But transmissions were beyond my scope of my confidence especially now that I am too old, sick and handicapped to do these things any more.

I will take it a proper shop for an estimate after my next monthly pay comes in.

I have a Goodyear shop nearby that I think I can trust. I'll see if they can do transmissions later next week or find a local transmission shop in the Warren Michigan area.

I just looked it up and it does mean it needs to remove the entire transmission so it'll need a major surgery! Not in my level of abilities. The hunt for a shop or another car begins.

Is there any guess as to the cost of such surgery? I'm glad this is all happening near my home and not 150 miles away.

Last edited:
I just looked it up and it does mean it needs to remove the entire transmission so it'll need a major surgery! Not in my level of abilities. The hunt for a shop or another car begins.

Is there any guess as to the cost of such surgery? I'm glad this is all happening near my home and not 150 miles away.
That really is sickening news for me! I am on under 1800 a month fixed income most of that goes to bills. I've always looked at my car as my alternative house if my monthly income takes a hit; and that seems to be an actual possibility.

Back