Audi/VW Mahle-Knecht filter cut open (w/ pix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Gerret:
Filter can is black with orange printing:

(the VW symbol and the Audi symbol)
06A 115 561 B (the VAG part number)
KH1 (Knecht model number?)
Knecht (the manufacturer)
OC 264 (some type of filter spec?)
micro-star (filter media?)
Made in Austria

OC264 is a Mahle part number. The Mann cross reference would be W719/30. Both are excellent extended drain filters.

For regular drains (7500 mi. accdg. to VW/Audi), Mann W719/5 may be used, which can be had for about $3.25. This is the filter listed on pre-95 2.0L 8v engines.

The oversized filter is Mann W940/25 (not sure of the Mahle part #). This is used on mid-eighties 1.6l VW diesels.

An even larger filter is the mammoth Mann W950/4, used on the 1995 2.5l VW Eurovan (Wix x-ref #51333).

quote:

Originally posted by Gerret:

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
[...]There's also an oversized version of this filter available - 068 115 561B.

Good to know. Do you have a good source for those? I guess there is always the dealership.

Is the picture you posted of the 06A 115 561 B manufactured by Mann?

autohausaz is a great VAG (and other euro) parts source. You'll spend hours trying to beat their prices. Atlantic Imported Auto Supply has good deals on Mann filters (click on the little green box that says "Mann Oil Filters"), and EAS Discount is another good source. All of these are online.

quote:

Originally posted by Lugosi:
An even larger filter is the mammoth Mann W950/4, used on the 1995 2.5l VW Eurovan (Wix x-ref #51333). [/QB]

It was also used in the '83-86 Volvo 740 L6 2.4 Turbodiesels. This is the German version of the termed "Big Kahuna" filter(i.e. Wix/Napa 51333/1333)famous in Club B5/Vortex. I use it for my 1.8T and takes 5qts up to the upper bend. This Mann can be had in Pep Boys and is relabeled as Purolator L40316. Another cross reference is Knecht/Mahle OC105.

[ December 26, 2004, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

The "oversized" 068 115 561 B filter is a DIESEL oil filter. 056 115 561 G is a smaller gasoline oil filter. The relief pressures are supposed to be quite different. The NAPA 1714 is a large filter with different specs which will fit but good filters and oil will take your VW diesel to 500,000 km before overhaul anyway.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
The "oversized" 068 115 561 B filter is a DIESEL oil filter. 056 115 561 G is a smaller gasoline oil filter. The relief pressures are supposed to be quite different.

Audi/VW is now recommending/using 068 115 561B filter instead of 06A 115 561 B on all 1.8T engines. It's part of their sludge prevention campaign.

I use the Mahle OC-51 oil filter on my 91 Jetta TD. I like the constuction of it and the added part to the bottom of the filter that you can hook into to help turn in off when you need to change the oil and filter. From what I have been reading on the vwgtd and other vw forums, Mann, Mahle, and Bosch German made are the filter that are used most on the 1.6L diesels. To many other problems with other filters no holding up since the oil pressures can reach as high as 110psi on a cold morning start.

quote:

The "oversized" 068 115 561 B filter is a DIESEL oil filter. 056 115 561 G is a smaller gasoline oil filter. The relief pressures are supposed to be quite different. The NAPA 1714 is a large filter with different specs which will fit but good filters and oil will take your VW diesel to 500,000 km before overhaul anyway.

Steve

Bypass Valve Opening Pressure for Mann filters 719/5, 719/30, 940/25 and 950/4 are all 2.5 bar (~30psi).

quote:

Originally posted by Rat407:
I use the Mahle OC-51 oil filter on my 91 Jetta TD. I like the constuction of it and the added part to the bottom of the filter that you can hook into to help turn in off when you need to change the oil and filter. From what I have been reading on the vwgtd and other vw forums, Mann, Mahle, and Bosch German made are the filter that are used most on the 1.6L diesels. To many other problems with other filters no holding up since the oil pressures can reach as high as 110psi on a cold morning start.

Where are you getting the OC51? I can't seem to find one listed online. TIA.

quote:

I get them from VWdieselparts and I was told that a few ordered Mann filters from autohausaz.com and recieved Mahle instead, not to mention they have great prices there.

That's my only complaint with autohaus: they list filters as "Mann/Mahle", so you don't know which you're getting. Thanks for links.

Hmm, I guess I had a few things mixed up. I was under the impression that the PH8 had a 10PSI blow-off and was also the replacement for the gas filter so I extrapolated a bit...

Steve

quote:

Hmm, I guess I had a few things mixed up. I was under the impression that the PH8 had a 10PSI blow-off and was also the replacement for the gas filter so I extrapolated a bit...

Steve

One thing I've noticed is that once you get away from Mann/Mahle/Hengst, the x-ref filters from others will vary the bypass pressure, sometimes by quite alot, just like you may have found.

For my 1.8T, I have switched over to the Purolator L40316, which is made by Mann and which holds a full quart of oil on prefill. The thing just barely clears my left engine mount. Best of all, it is frequently on sale at PepBoys for about $2.50, minus a $1.50 rebate.
smile.gif

quote:

Using the same filter on my 1998.5 Audi A4 1.8t. It is massive. Pretty much the filter of choice for the sludge prone 1.8t engines. You can also get them from PureMS or ECS Tuning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back