Audi/VW Mahle-Knecht filter cut open (w/ pix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut open my used Knecht (a Mahle company) filter. It is constructed extremely well. The can is thick enough that it can't be crushed by hand (unlike some cheaper brands). It features a heavy base, metal filter seam, metal backed ADBV, many large holes in the core for plenty of flow, and a bypass valve that has been factory sealed with a black rubber plug to make it a full-flow filter (the oil bypass valve is part of the Audi/VW 1.8L turbo engine). This filter costs around $8, but you get what you pay for.
smile.gif

-

-

Is that one of the black ones that has langzefilter (sp?) and 30,000KM printed on it?

I bought one of these from VW Parts for the oil change on our 2.0 and paid about $8 for it. From what I understand it is a synthetic fiber filter that is similar in quality if not better then the Mobil 1 filters.

As far as crushability that was a downside for me, the factory filter was overtightened far too much and the oil filter just would not crush or even deform under the oil filter wrench to give more grip. I spent a good 1 1/2 hours trying to get the oil filter off, lucky for me I had a good supply of vinyl gloves for traction and I am a very patient person.

Filter can is black with orange printing:

(the VW symbol and the Audi symbol)
06A 115 561 B (the VAG part number)
KH1 (Knecht model number?)
Knecht (the manufacturer)
OC 264 (some type of filter spec?)
micro-star (filter media?)
Made in Austria

quote:

Originally posted by Gerret:
Made in Austria

Well, that explains the thick gauge of the steel housing - Knecht expects many will be installed and removed by members of the Schwarzenegger clan still residing in Austria...

I can't view the pics.
frown.gif
Maybe it's the work firewall I'm behind...

Anyway, this filter can be had for about $5 on line, but of course you'll have to pay shipping, so it's better to buy in larger quantities.

For those that asked, yes it is rated for 30K km. Here's what it looks like when it's not cut open:

-

There's also an oversized version of this filter available - 068 115 561B.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
[...]There's also an oversized version of this filter available - 068 115 561B.

Good to know. Do you have a good source for those? I guess there is always the dealership.

Is the picture you posted of the 06A 115 561 B manufactured by Mann?

quote:

Originally posted by Gerret:
Do you have a good source for those? I guess there is always the dealership.

Nah. The only one I know of is GermanAutoParts dot com but they sell it for $9, which is what you'd most likely pay if you got it from a VW dealership directly.

quote:

Is the picture you posted of the 06A 115 561 B manufactured by Mann?

I picked it up from an Audi dealer, so it's OEM, but there are several OEM manufacturers, so I'm not sure which one it was.

That (black with Langzeitfilter) is the type sold at VW Parts, I believe it is a Mann filter and a very good one at that. I only paid about $8 for it.

Quattro Pete : I'm pretty sure your picture is of a Mann manufactured filter. I buy Mann filters for our Volvos and the base plate construction is exactly as shown in your photo. The tabs bent over into the oil holes are quite unusual and I've never seen a non-Mann filter constructed that way.

John

is the oversized filter a Mann unit as well or a Mahle? I tried to get one the last time but the guy tried to give me a regular 1.8T filter anyway. i then asked for a filter w/ larger capacity and he gave me the one for a 30V V6 Passat. looks like mines a little wider than the 1.8T oversized unit but mines also way shorter. my capacity grew from 4.3 qts to 5 even.

also, is that oversized unit made in the USA? or is it in germany and a langzeitfilter as well?

Is it a Mann, Mann&Hummel, Knecht, Hengst, Bosch? Who gives a rat's behind?
wink.gif

As far as I know, nobody can say for sure who makes the VW/Audi-labeled filters. It could be either one of those conpanies or all of them. Monday is Bosch day, Tuesday is Hengst day, Wednesday is Mann&Hummel day, Thursday is Mahle day, Friday everyone stays at home.

I'll use either of those as OEM-approved filters on Audi.

quote:

Is it a Mann, Mann&Hummel, Knecht, Hengst, Bosch? Who gives a rat's behind?

This rat, for one. My deconstruction theories say that a Mann OF is superior to a Bosch OF, for example. But that's only one rat's opinion.

And yes at the Bosch OF "factory" who knows what you will get???

I just wanna see the picts.

A Made-in-Germany Bosch filter is not identical to a Champion-made US Bosch filter.

As long as it's not a Fram...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back