audi summer oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Philly and the summers can be hot. I have a 98 audi a6 2.8 v6 quattro.

What is the thickest oil i can safely run and what is some high quality oil that i can use?

Thanks guys.

Sorry didn't include she is high milage and i like to run a thicker oil in the summer months to prevent burn. Thinner in the winter.

Hmm..Malvern ..very expensive! You pay first!
grin2.gif

welcome2.gif
pa-sale

The weight you use should be what's recommended. The time frame that you leave it in service will be the question you need to ask. I believe that yours is an exchanged engine, so your oil temp will be around the coolant temp ..which works out rather well.

Do a UOA on your current oil and see how it survived over your usage.

5 to 59°F......10W-30, 10W-40
Above 5°F......15W-40, 15W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50
All Temps......5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40[1]
All Temps......5W-50, 10W-50, 10W-60
Below 59°F......5W-30, 5W-40

5w-40 seems to fit the bill in most instances. Something like Amsoil AFL Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil

5w-40. Do you have a burning issue/problem, or do you just fear burn-off? What can you document to help us help you?

JMH

2.8 V6 engine generates a lot of heat if driven hard. Any 502.00 rated oil will work fine in your engine. 5W40 is your best all around choice.

All European cars with exception of newer designes 2006 and up require thick oil.

I've had several cars with that engine and consumption was never a problem. GC worked nice. I suggest not a synth, but a 10w-40 hi-miles oil. You DO NOT NEED anything thicker than a 40 weight and you don't need synth. Dino oil usually returns the best wear rate.
You can use thinner or thicker 40s, with say MaxLife being thinner and GTX HM being thicker. You only need to refer to the VW 502 specs and the other Euro oil specs for the HT/HS rating of 3.5cP to see what is needed as far as weight. That translates to a mid-40. My oil temps never got very hot either, which makes all the difference. I have a ton of strait 30 weight Delo if you'd like 2 gallons, just ask, I'd give it to you free. It is 3.5Cp and only a 30 weight, giving the best of all worlds interms of mpg and protection. HD oils last great and don't burn off. I have a spare jumbo Wix filter too for a $10.

btw- do you use a good indy shop for service? My friends own a well-respected BOSCH Service Center near you. 30 years Master Audi, Porsche and BMW mechanics with full competition race licences and dealer connections that help with warranty issues. I'd be happy to refer you. fwiw, they use Syntec 5w-50 by the drum, an oil that runs clean in the V6 Audis. Witness Mori's engine pics after 122k of 10k intervals on it.

122k_miles.jpg

Originally Posted By: PTM
2.8 V6 engine generates a lot of heat if driven hard. Any 502.00 rated oil will work fine in your engine. 5W40 is your best all around choice.

All European cars with exception of newer designes 2006 and up require thick oil.

our new 08 still requires a thick oil.

Originally Posted By: pa-sale
I live in Philly and the summers can be hot. I have a 98 audi a6 2.8 v6 quattro.

What is the thickest oil i can safely run and what is some high quality oil that i can use?

Thanks guys.

Maybe fix the cooling system so that ambient temprature does not affect oil temprature this much.
whistle.gif

the oil likely takes nearly as much of a thermal load as the coolant, under normal conditions. One of oil's primary applications is cooling...

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back