Audi S6 V10 5.2L Oil

BenNoble

Hey all,

New to this forum, but I've been reading the awesome content at the main site.

I wanted to ask people's thoughts on engine oil recommendation for my 2011 Audi S6. It has the v10 that is shared in the Gallardo and R8.

Would be curious to hear people's thoughts.

What does the manual say? What is the spec set required? Once we know that then comparisons can be made.

The HPL supercar oils are high quality formulations that may work, but you’d need to understand what nuanced test parameters might need to be validated to work.

I would also ask how do you drive it? Like grandma? Or like you stole it? What’s the redline on that engine? Do you take it up that high? I would run a min of 40 wt. such as a 5/40 0|40. If you don’t care about specs and drive only 3 seasons. M1 15/50. There’s also Redline 10/60 which a lot of BMW M series cars use.

VW502.00!
That means you ahve numerous very good oils to choose from.
Wal Mart:
Usual suspect is Mobil1 0W40 FS.
Castrol 5W40
Castrol 5W30 A3
Quaker State 5W40
AZ and AAP:
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40
Online:
Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2
Castrol 0W40
Castrol 0W30

I would personally avoid Castrol 5W30/40. Any of the others are top choices.

Buying online at Euro specialized stores like FCP Euro, ECS Tuning etc. will give you recommendations too. But, it is hard to beat the price of Mobil1 0W40 FS, considering it is a top product.

DI?

VW 502 00 (and/or Porsche A40) or
VW 504 00 (Porsche C30) or
VW 511 00 (Porsche C40)

Wow, thanks for all the replies.

To clarify, it has 95k miles and I drive it all four seasons in Minnesota, USA. Every winter, there's at least one day it is -10F out. Some winters it can get to -20F+.

I honestly don't drive it that hard. I'd say the throttle gets smashed maybe once a week.

The manual states:
VW 502 00 Use synthetic oil SAE 5W-40, SAE-5W-30, or SAE-0W-40

I appreciate the dialogue!

Wow, thanks for all the replies.

To clarify, it has 95k miles and I drive it all four seasons in Minnesota, USA. Every winter, there's at least one day it is -10F out. Some winters it can get to -20F+.

I honestly don't drive it that hard. I'd say the throttle gets smashed maybe once a week.

The manual states:
VW 502 00 Use synthetic oil SAE 5W-40, SAE-5W-30, or SAE-0W-40

I appreciate the dialogue!
If you haven't pulled (or paid someone to pull) the intake to clean IVD yet, I'd budget for that. The 5.2 can get crudded up pretty quick.

If you haven't pulled (or paid someone to pull) the intake to clean IVD yet, I'd budget for that. The 5.2 can get crudded up pretty quick.
Unsure what IVD means, but I'm assuming you're talking about the carbon buildup. Yeah, it gets pretty bad. Surprisingly quick.

About 15k miles ago, I did actually pull the intake and clean out the carbon myself.

Back