Audi Q5 or Genesis GV70 part two

Last week I started the thread about considering the Q5, GV70 or possibly the Edge ST as a next vehicle. I've sort of moved on from the Edge. I got to drive the Genesis last week and liked it. Nicely appointed, quiet with decent power from the 2.5 T. In that form it makes 300 hp and 311 torque. I liked it a lot and think that it looks terrific. I actually think that it makes most everything else in that small luxury category look dated. It rode well and handled nicely for what it is.

Today I drove the Q5 while at the dealer getting my S3 state inspected. Going in I really thought that I would prefer the Q5 since the layout and general feel of the car would be similar in some respects to my S3. Some controls were similar but the overall experience was not. I knew that the SUV would not perform like the S3 but I thought the Q5 would be a little sportier than it was. I believe that the Q5 is quicker than the GV70 but I enjoyed the overall experience in the Genesis better than the Audi. The engine and transmission in the Audi is more refined and responsive, but the driving experience was just more enjoyable in the GV70. I wasn't expecting that.

The Genesis was also quieter. I'm having some hearing issues and starting to grapple with hearing aids. The Q5 was quieter than my S3, but the GV70 was quieter than the Q5. I didn't used to care much about quiet but now I do. And the Genesis wins there.

So if I had to buy a car tomorrow, it would be the Genesis. Given that I don't have to do anything right now I will probably stick with my Kia Sorento as an SUV and the S3 as my fun ride and maybe downsize to one vehicle after winter.

Thanks for the comparison.

How is the availability of GV70? Are they easy to find?

Interesting that you've thought the Q5 was quicker. I thought it would struggle a bit to pull all that weight with that 2.0T engine. Was it a hybrid? When wife was shopping for hers, the difference between the 2.0T and 3.0T was very noticeable in terms of acceleration and overall refinement. Nowadays, you need to splurge for SQ5 to get a V6.

One small SUV that I have my eye on is the new BMW X1, but availability is a bit of an issue, as with many cars these days, plus it's a first year model.

Last edited:
Last week the Hyundai/Genesis dealer had six or seven on hand. That was down in the Baltimore general area. My local dealer here in York Pa didn't have any.

Last week I started the thread about considering the Q5, GV70 or possibly the Edge ST as a next vehicle. I've sort of moved on from the Edge. I got to drive the Genesis last week and liked it. Nicely appointed, quiet with decent power from the 2.5 T. In that form it makes 300 hp and 311 torque. I liked it a lot and think that it looks terrific. I actually think that it makes most everything else in that small luxury category look dated. It rode well and handled nicely for what it is.

Today I drove the Q5 while at the dealer getting my S3 state inspected. Going in I really thought that I would prefer the Q5 since the layout and general feel of the car would be similar in some respects to my S3. Some controls were similar but the overall experience was not. I knew that the SUV would not perform like the S3 but I thought the Q5 would be a little sportier than it was. I believe that the Q5 is quicker than the GV70 but I enjoyed the overall experience in the Genesis better than the Audi. The engine and transmission in the Audi is more refined and responsive, but the driving experience was just more enjoyable in the GV70. I wasn't expecting that.

The Genesis was also quieter. I'm having some hearing issues and starting to grapple with hearing aids. The Q5 was quieter than my S3, but the GV70 was quieter than the Q5. I didn't used to care much about quiet but now I do. And the Genesis wins there.

So if I had to buy a car tomorrow, it would be the Genesis. Given that I don't have to do anything right now I will probably stick with my Kia Sorento as an SUV and the S3 as my fun ride and maybe downsize to one vehicle after winter.
WB, I am curious what your sound or quieter measurement was. Did you use a sound meter app on your phone and do drive comparisons at different speeds? I am asking in that I am at the age where I am noticing hearing changes too. I can hear certain frequencies better than I use to be able to and others worse than I was previously. For example I can barely hear squeaking brake pads, but I now I can hear tire noises that I never heard before.

No sound meter. Just my subjective ears and 'seat of the pants '. Since my hearing problem stated (about a month ago) everything is tinny sounding and road noise is amplified. Some road noise is tire related, but it would be pretty expensive to try experimenting with different tires.
I just felt that the Genesis was quieter.

The Hyundai dealer experience, especially in the service department, is atrocious. I'd go for an Audi all day long. Long time Hyundai/KIA owner here. We still have some Hyundais, but moved on for new car purchases.

The Hyundai dealer experience, especially in the service department, is atrocious. I'd go for an Audi all day long. Long time Hyundai/KIA owner here. We still have some Hyundais, but moved on for new car purchases.
I think the service experience is more of a dealership thing.
The closest Hyundai dealer near me has a pretty good service and parts department.

Interesting that you've thought the Q5 was quicker. I thought it would struggle a bit to pull all that weight with that 2.0T engine. Was it a hybrid? When wife was shopping for hers, the difference between the 2.0T and 3.0T was very noticeable in terms of acceleration and overall refinement. Nowadays, you need to splurge for SQ5 to get a V6.

One small SUV that I have my eye on is the new BMW X1, but availability is a bit of an issue, as with many cars these days, plus it's a first year model.
The transverse engine in BMW?
NO, No, No way!

The transverse engine in BMW?
NO, No, No way!
Sadly, yes. The vehicle is based on the new mini platform. Gott im Himmel!

WB, Hyundai has been poaching engineers from BMW for the last 7 years. In fact, the head of Hyundai vehicle R&D is the former head of platform engineering at BMW. That's why the Genesis is such a good car.

Sadly, yes. The vehicle is based on the new mini platform. Gott im Himmel!

WB, Hyundai has been poaching engineers from BMW for the last 7 years. In fact, the head of Hyundai vehicle R&D is the former head of platform engineering at BMW. That's why the Genesis is such a good car.
I know it has transverse engine.
It is fake BMW.
I know all about BMW engineers being paid ridiculous money by Hyundai. But, they don’t take institutional knowledge with them. Did they make impact? Sure. But, it takes more than that.

I know it has transverse engine.
It is fake BMW.
I know all about BMW engineers being paid ridiculous money by Hyundai. But, they don’t take institutional knowledge with them. Did they make impact? Sure. But, it takes more than that.
No, what they took was a ton of experience and got a blank check from H/K along with a brand new platform they could work on from the ground, up, using all that experience.

@wbwanzer have you pulled the trigger on a GV70 yet? Are you considering the V6 model at all?

In the Louisville area neither the Audi dealer or the Genesis dealer have impressed me, sad to say.

@wbwanzer have you pulled the trigger on a GV70 yet? Are you considering the V6 model at all?
I have not pulled the trigger on the GV70, and it is the 2.5T that I would be interested in.

Since those test drives in November I have joined the Genesis forums where I have learned that the GV70 is having teething problems (as one might expect from a brand new model). Differentials among other things. But the worst part is that folks are having to wait weeks and sometimes months to get the cars fixed and then they're not always fixed. That has really slowed down my enthusiasm. So then I started thinking maybe a Santa Fe or Sorento with the 2.5T since those vehicles have been around for a while. But the forums for those models show more than a few folks having problems with the double clutch transmissions that are now being used. I'm not afraid of double clutch transmissions in general, but the ones used in the new Sorentos and Santa Fes concern me. I've had a DCT in a GTI and currently have one in my S3. From what I can see, VW/Audi have it figured out. I've experienced no problems or abnormalities. My wife's Kia Seltos with DCT is not the same. It works and my wife loves her car, but that DCT is not in the same league as the VW/Audi.

I currently have a 2019 Kia Sorento (3.3 V6 AWD) that I'm growing to appreciate more every time I'm on the H/K forums. I only have 28,000 miles on the Sorento since it shares driving with the S3. But I've had zero issues with the Sorento as well as zero issues with prior '09 Santa Fe and '13 Veloster Turbo. So far my H/K vehicles have had no issues with any of them.

If I was forced to replace my SUV tomorrow I would probably lean back towards the Q5. I think it would cause less headaches for me. Now, in a year or two hopefully Genesis will have the GV70 sorted out along with their service problems.

According to Car and driver 0-60 5.5 sec 1/4 mile 14.2 sec That sounds quick to me. We have a 2019 and it is very quick for what it is. The 2.0t in the Audi is probably the best 2.0t in the business. I see zero reason to get an SQ5.

Back