audi 2.0 tfsi oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys,

I am from the uk, and have an audi a4 b7 2.0 tfsi qauttro 220bhp, with 64k miles on the clock.

the owners manual says : VW 504 00/ VW 502 00/505 00/505 01

I have only had the car a couple of months, and done a service on it as soon as I got it, and plan on servicing it every 6 months, which for me is about 2.5k miles,

I put FUCHS GT1 5w40 XTL in when it was serviced, and I have done about 600 miles and have had to put just over 0.5 litre in,

now I know these engines do like to drink oil, and when searching for oils via the above specs you get various results.

my driving is mostly short journeys, and mostly driven very lightly, the odd full throttle when joining a motorway thrown in.

after googling there seems to be all sorts of info and people saying if I put x oil in it would use less oil etc etc etc,

what would you guys recommend I put in, shall I just stick to the oil I am using, or shall I go for a high quality fully syn 5w30, what brand do people recommend?

it really is a minefield for these engines.

I would also like to give the engine a flush out, as in the past the engine has been on a long service plan, and I am unsure what oil was used in it previous life before I owned it, and when looking through the oil filler hole, I can see the engine is mostly golden in colour,

do you guys recommend doing an engine flush?

also to add, the car is always run on Tesco momentum 99ron fuel, occasionally when I get caught short it is run on BP ultimate 97ron.

Last edited:
Since it's a tfsi and properly relatively new I would say vw 504/507.
If you want something thicker than 5w30, you might consider using MB 229.5x - those are available in several grades and the add-pack are very close to the vw 504/507

Because it is a gasoline engine the only specifications that matter in the group the offered are the 502.00 and 504.00. The other specifications are for diesel engines.

Generally speaking, the 504.00 (the latest and greatest) is most likely also the most expensive oil to buy. I can't speak for the UK but in Germany these oils often cost in the neighborhood of €24/liter. If cost is not an object then this is the specification that I'd choose.

The oil that you're using (Fuchs GT-1 XTL) is of an older generation and meets the 502.00/505.01 specification that VW recommended up through 2007. It is an excellent product and certainly acceptable for your use.

The Fuchs oil that would meet the 504.00 rating would be Fuchs Titan GT1 LongLife III. Price it and see how it compares with the 502.00 rated oil that you're using. It will come in a viscosity grade of 5W-30 ONLY.

I recommend using the 504.00 but you won't do any harm at all if you stick with the 502.00. Choose major oil company products and be mindful of the maintenance and you should have no troubles.

You can not get an oil that is vw 504 only. It will always be an 504/507
wink.gif

ok, cheers,

the car is a 2006

I can get hold of FUCHS, VALVOLINE, MOBIL, AND COMMA at cost price where I work,

what brand would you recommend? to me I see them as all pretty much the same,

I also only use mann hummell filters

just checked I can get the 504.00 in fuchs gt1 pro c3 for £19 at work, so i'll go with that at the next oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sx_turbo
I am from the uk, and have an audi a4 b7 2.0 tfsi qauttro 220bhp, with 64k miles on the clock.
the owners manual says : VW 504 00/ VW 502 00/505 00/505 01

Liqui Moly 0W40, without any doubts, number one. Mobil1 0W40, which is OK for you, but no more. I would not consider low TBN oils. Also my friends in Europe don't like Fuchs TITAN GT1 5W-40.

I would also like to give the engine a flush
out, as in the past the engine has been on a long service plan, and I am unsure what oil was used in it previous life before I owned it, and when looking through the oil filler hole, I can see the engine is mostly golden in colour,

do you guys recommend doing an engine flush?

Yes, definitely. If you prefer fast flush, use Liqui Moly Engine Flush. But need to tell that I am originally from Europe too. Not to much local folks do that.

Looking at the mileage, its used 3 qauters of a litre in 800 miles.

I've just changed the pcv valve, sobit might improve.

I've also been labouring the engine when driving it, being in to high a gear I have changed this now, so hopefully the oil consumption will improve a bit.

file:///C:/Users/Donny/Downloads/SynPower-5W-40_001-23c.pdf

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/synpower/cid(7537)/synpower_5w-40

Id use this if i had the car ^

Or M1 0w40

Last edited:
just out of curiosity, what if I were to put Valvoline vr1 5w50?

K mom not saying it wouldn't work however a turbo gets really hot. There are a lot of viscosity index improvers in a typical 5w-50,which is how they manage to achieve that kind of viscosity spread.
VII shear in service which then affects the oil negatively when up to operating temp,effectively thinning it,and when the oil gets pumped into that hot spinning turbo those same VII can potentially become deposits called coke.
When it comes to boosted European automobiles a 0w-40 like M1,liqui-moly and castrol are great products and have proven themselves over the years so I suggest not second guessing it.
An oil that meets the Honda turbo spec might be applicable however with such good products already available I wouldn't bother trying to search anything else out.
Unless you can get a better deal on the 5w-50. If that's the case give er,but consider shortening the interval and get a few uoa done so you can see exactly how much it sheared in service so you know when to dump it.
Just my opinion.

thanks,

sorry for all the questions, think I will try the 5w30 vw504 grade,

if I not satisfied with that, i'll try the 0w40, and see what the engine performs best with

It has been a while since i was last on here, so thought i would update the thread.

After trying the latest spec 504 Fuchs Titan Pro C3 5w-30 and the long life III 5W-30 and the engine burned through this at a substantial rate of knots, so swiftly went back to the GT1 XTL 5w-40, and the car has gone back to using it's normal amount of oil (it's close to the limit VW/AUDI put in the handbook although it has never got any worse when running it on 5w-40 XTL).

I have now covered 16k miles, and the car has an oil filter and oil every 6 months which is between 2.5 & 3k miles.

We did recently have an issue with excessive fuel in the oil, i never had lab reports done however you could really smell it when the oil filler cap was removed, so we had the high fuel pressure pump replaced along with an oil and filter change and the oil consumption has reduced. (this was done about 1500 miles ago).

I ma due to have the car serviced again in a few weeks, however i am looking at changing the oil for something else, although the Fuchs seems to be a reasonable choice, it does not seem to be cleaning the engine all that great, i never done a flush ont he engine in the end when i purchased the vehicle hoping that the reqular oil changes would clean it through, however the oil does not seem to stay clean for very long (almost goes black straight away).

I was thinking of switching to Redline 5w-40 as other seem to be really happy with that in these engines, however certainly here in the UK it's mega expensive at £15.95 per quart, for my money would i be getting any additional benefit over the Fuchs GT1 XTL i have been using?

Fuchs makes very good oils and I'd suggest you use it, especially since you get good price on it thru work.
I'd also suggest using 5w-40 or 0w-40 oil in the engine.

Originally Posted By: dubber09
Fuchs makes very good oils and I'd suggest you use it, especially since you get good price on it thru work.

Thanks, unfortunately I no longer work in the industry where I got cheap oil, so now I have to pay full price.

So I wouldn't get any benefits going for the redline motor oil over the Fuchs ?

Originally Posted By: dubber09

Thanks, unfortunately I no longer work in the industry where I got cheap oil, so now I have to pay full price.

So I wouldn't get any benefits going for the redline motor oil over the Fuchs ?

I thought all of these oil drinking 2.0L TFSI engines were being fixed, free of charge by Audi? They first do an oil consumption test and if the test fails, they replace the piston assemblies but this time with ones that actually fit properly! If the bores are scored, then it's a full engine replacement job.

Because the excessive oil consumption is caused by bad piston/ring pack design, there isn't a obvious 'oil' solution to this problem. The Audi approved oils that they had the original problems with were all very highly specced synthetics.

However, for what it's worth, I'd totally stop using oils with a 0W, 5W & 10W rating, not because they are too thin but because very likely they are all too volatile. Half the problem with these engines is a lot of volatalised oil gets recirculated through the PCV system, gets burnt, further gums up the rings and further worsens the original problem.

If you lived in the US, I'd direct you towards something like Amsoil 10W30 (a full PAO oil with an extremely low Noack volatility). You can get this in the UK but at £13.25 for a US quart (just under 1 litre) it's stupidly expensive for putting in a 2006 car.

I would at this stage suggest that you go find yourself some Castrol GTX 20W50 (it should have a Noack of about 6%) but doing a quick Google, it looks like they don't do this anymore (don't buy the 'Classic' stuff). In fact a lot of 20W50s (VR1 for example) seem to have gotten stupidly expensive (strange given that it's still mega cheap to make).

In which case, I'd suggest you look for some GTX 15W40. It's a relatively old oil spec (SL/CF/A3/B3/MB 229.1/VW505) but Noack-wise, that will probably work to your advantage.

You might think I'm raving mad but a while back I persuaded a guy in Oz to put 20W50 in his BMW to see if it would help free up a stuck oil control ring. He was genuinely surprised at how well the engine performed (although it wasn't as free revving)!

Good luck with whatever you chose to go with...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back