audi 2.0 tfsi oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did I miss this thread?

As said above it needs a re-ring, and at 3l in 800 miles, it sounds like it's well past due. I don't know what the warranty looks like in the UK... or if it exists at all.

There is something to be said here for dealer service. If a customer mentioned oil consumption like this to me when I worked at VW I would have immediately started you down the path towards new rings.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

As said above it needs a re-ring, and at 3l in 800 miles, it sounds like it's well past due. I don't know what the warranty looks like in the UK... or if it exists at all.

There is something to be said here for dealer service. If a customer mentioned oil consumption like this to me when I worked at VW I would have immediately started you down the path towards new rings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the story I heard was that just changing the rings didn't fix the 2.0L TFSI oil consumption problem.

In the UK, Audi seems to replacing the rings, pistons AND the con-rods. Changing the con-rod doesn't make much sense unless they have moved to thicker rings which need wider grooves which would I think necessitate a slightly longer piston and a slightly shorter con-rod. I also seem to recall someone who used to work for Audi in the US saying they had moved to a wider piston, presumably because the original piston face to bore gap was considered to be too big.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the story I heard was that just changing the rings didn't fix the 2.0L TFSI oil consumption problem.

In the UK, Audi seems to replacing the rings, pistons AND the con-rods. Changing the con-rod doesn't make much sense unless they have moved to thicker rings which need wider grooves which would I think necessitate a slightly longer piston and a slightly shorter con-rod. I also seem to recall someone who used to work for Audi in the US saying they had moved to a wider piston, presumably because the original piston face to bore gap was considered to be too big.

All the ones that I have done have been re-ring jobs. Successful I'd assume, because we didn't have any come-backs. I can of course only speak with regards to the experience I had working at one USA dealer.

As I understand the problem, it was partly due to low tension rings. That is a bad idea in a boosted motor. Even if the ring lands are spotless and teh rings are free to move as needed, they will still leak (blow by) and that will effect oil chemistry.

I'd be all over a 15W-40 HDEO that will meet minimum specs for VW/Audi. SonofJoe knows his oil chemistry. There is no ready fix, but to do the rings with proper standard tension rings.

And if you are going that far into the motor, might as well do some upgrades
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
As I understand the problem, it was partly due to low tension rings. That is a bad idea in a boosted motor. Even if the ring lands are spotless and teh rings are free to move as needed, they will still leak (blow by) and that will effect oil chemistry.

I'd be all over a 15W-40 HDEO that will meet minimum specs for VW/Audi. SonofJoe knows his oil chemistry. There is no ready fix, but to do the rings with proper standard tension rings.

And if you are going that far into the motor, might as well do some upgrades
laugh.gif

Just one correction...

What you want is a 15W40 PCMO, not a 15W40 HDEO. The HDEO will contain a lot more Ashless Dispersant and that will have effect of pushing the Noack of the oil up, when you want it to be as low as possible.

In the same vein, you want an oil that is ACEA A3/B3, not one that is A3/B4 as that will need more Ashless to pass the VW TDi test at the higher B4 pass level.

They should be long obsolete but if you chance upon an ACEA A2/B2 oil, avoid it as it will be worse than the A3/B3 oil (to get a 15W40 A3 level pass on the Peugeot TU5 test, the oil will probably need to contain some Group III and this will reduce the Noack of the oil).

I don't think we have any 15W-40 PCMO's in the USA ... I can't think of any.

We do have HDEO's that are gas engine rated though ...

In PCMO's, we have 10W-40 - but is almost always horrible in that it has too much VII's
frown.gif

All the 5W-40's I know about are HDEO's too.

Now over in England, maybe things are different ...
coffee2.gif

I think today's SN rated 10w-40 hold up well. Better base stocks, better VIs. If M1 0w40 can be the oil that it is I think that the blenders can manage a solid 10w-40. Particularly something like Maxlife in red bottle as a syn blend or any of the full syn oils offered in 10w-40

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Just one correction...

What you want is a 15W40 PCMO, not a 15W40 HDEO. The HDEO will contain a lot more Ashless Dispersant and that will have effect of pushing the Noack of the oil up, when you want it to be as low as possible.

In the same vein, you want an oil that is ACEA A3/B3, not one that is A3/B4 as that will need more Ashless to pass the VW TDi test at the higher B4 pass level.

They should be long obsolete but if you chance upon an ACEA A2/B2 oil, avoid it as it will be worse than the A3/B3 oil (to get a 15W40 A3 level pass on the Peugeot TU5 test, the oil will probably need to contain some Group III and this will reduce the Noack of the oil).

Thanks .
blush.gif

15W40 PCMO SN/SM A3B4 in shell helix 5 and 10W40 PCMO A3B4 SL in say, Total Quartz are easily available.
15W40 PCMO SM/SL without A3B4 are more common here though.

Last edited:
See, that is just not what I can get ... Makes me mad that we don't have ready access to those oils
frown.gif

But we have lots of 0W-20's and 5W-20's, and now the 0W-16's are starting to sprout up here - ugh ...

Stay positive - I already mentioned once the 16 gets cheap - mix with Kreen as a super flush 🌊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back