Auburn vs. Eaton Limited Slip Differentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GM Corporate 10 bolt is factory equipped with an Auburn unit. Come overhaul time whenever that may be Auburn and Eaton are the options. I have had no problems (sans some gear whine) with the unit for 225,000+ miles. Of course fluid intervals were conservative using the finest available synthetics (Redline, Amsoil, etc. During later production years Eaton became standard equipment in my application. Come overhaul time which should I go with?

Interesting topic. I've been thinking of adding a Detroit (Eaton) TrueTrac into my truck's open differential. The idea of a clutch-less LSD is more appealing since the upfront higher cost means less servicing later on.

I checked with a local 4 Wheel Parts shop, but for some reason they told me that I should go with an Auburn instead because they claimed the TrueTrac is discontinued, even though their corporate store still sells them. ???

I think I'll still go with the TrueTrac...

I put an eaton ratchet I got nib from Ebay in an S10 blahzer 3.42. (for $190 - major score)

It made that little SUV unstoppable in PA winters, and prolly an auburn would have as well.

but heck, I find my trak-loc fords pretty good when you add an extra plate to increase side load.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
The idea of a clutch-less LSD is more appealing since the upfront higher cost means less servicing later on.

In some (most, even??) apps the True Trac is less $$$ than most of the clutched diffs, brand new for brand new.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back