ATS V oil filter selection

Hey everyone, I have a thread over in the motor oil forum about selecting oil for this car but I wanted to talk about filters since it was brought to my attention that the AC Delco Ultraguard UPF64R may have changed and is not as good as they used to be.

Just bought a 2016 Cadillac ATS V with 35K on the clock. Still under factory warranty, oil change history is good, all done at the dealer with Dexos 5W30 oil.

Car is going to be driven hard on the street(not daily) and see about 15 track days a year. OCI will be 3-5K depending on my UOA. Stored in a heated garage.

My plan was to use the UPF64R. Cost really is not a factor here so I am open to other brands but is it true the quality has gone downhill on these?

What would people recommend for something used like this?

Thank you, any help is appreciated!

I'm guessing it's spin on? In terms of oil filtration I'd go with Fram ultra, then Amsoil then Royal Purple. But first choice would def be Fram Ultra.

The Fram also has a good flow rate and if you check the cut outs after some OCIs you'll see that it uses quality material and holds up well. I'm pretty sure this oil filter coupled with Redline and the M1 0W40 you're looking a thing will be more than enough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Averroes
I'm guessing it's spin on? In terms of oil filtration I'd go with Fram ultra, then Amsoil then Royal Purple. But first choice would def be Fram Ultra.

The Fram also has a good flow rate and if you check the cut outs after some OCIs you'll see that it uses quality material and holds up well. I'm pretty sure this oil filter coupled with Redline and the M1 0W40 you're looking a thing will be more than enough.

Yes it is a spin on.

I will check out the Fram Ultra.

Any info on the AC Delco Ultraguards changing?

Thank you.

The Napa Platinum is on sale for $6.49 this month, so that would be my choice. It's a Wix XP, which is like the Fram Ultra, wire-backed synthetic.

cadillactech...this is the thread on the Malibu Forum that first alerted me to the change in filter...check response #7...

Bill

Thank you

The ATS V takes the PF63, just looked at the UPF63R here at work and it looks the same as far as it changing. Black ADBV, black housing.

I may cut one apart to see what the media is and end cap design. AC Delco says 98% at 25-30 microns which is a vague spec...

Anyone like the Mobil 1 filters?

it has been reported on this Forum that Mobil 1 filters had recently changed and that they may be made by the same company as the Delco UPF filters...

it seems the latest darling of the Forum is the Fram Ultra Synthetic gold colored filters but they may also be made by the same company (Champ Labs?) so...hopefully you get some good feedback from those who have kept up better than I have on these filters...

good luck with your search...

Bill

it seems the latest darling of the Forum is the Fram Ultra Synthetic gold colored filters but they may also be made by the same company (Champ Labs?) so...hopefully you get some good feedback from those who have kept up better than I have on these filters...

I believe the Ultra is made in-house by Fram, not Champ Labs.

Alright I cut open a new AcDelco UPF63R.

Looks like a paper filter element. Maybe a blend. Not wire backed. Metal inner tube though. Metal end caps, glued well.
Not a silicone ADBV, feels like nitrile rubber to me. Covered in the white powder like most rubber is.
Thick case for sure but nothing else amazing to write home about.

I am going to look elsewhere. My cost is around 9 bucks. Better filters can be had for that or a few bucks more.

FRAM Ultra has a 16 to 28 PSI bypass setting, my application requires a 22PSI one. Anyone know where in the range this really is?
Looks like either the Royal Purple or FRAM Ultra have full wire backed synthetic media with a 98 or higher 20 micron range or higher.

Mobil 1 looks like sythetic blend, micron rating was a little weak 99% @ 30 microns.

20200717_151735.jpg

20200717_170525.jpg

20200717_151804.jpg

20200717_151749.jpg

20200717_151741.jpg

FRAM Ultra has a 16 to 28 PSI bypass setting, my application requires a 22PSI one. Anyone know where in the range this really is?

The middle of that range is 22 psi. When you see a bypass spring rating with a range, it's the opening pressure to the fully opened valve pressure. I would think if a manufacturer just gives a singe bypass valve setting, it's the middle of the range. All bypass valves have an initial opening PSI and a fully opened PSI.

I'm assuming you're talking about the filter model that Fram specifies for your engine, not one you're "up sizing". If it's one specified, then why not trust Fram (or any other filter company) to know how to specify their filters for vehicle applications.

The middle of that range is 22 psi. When you see a bypass spring rating with a range, it's the opening pressure to the fully opened valve pressure. I would think if a manufacturer just gives a singe bypass valve setting, it's the middle of the range. All bypass valves have an initial opening PSI and a fully opened PSI.

I'm assuming you're talking about the filter model that Fram specifies for your engine, not one you're "up sizing". If it's one specified, then why not trust Fram (or any other filter company) to know how to specify their filters for vehicle applications.

I figured that was the case, thank you for the info. I am not upsizing, it is the filter for this engine.

I trust their specs but like to verify. Blind faith scares me.

Looks like the FRAM Ultragaurd is top of the list.

Thanks again for the info!

^^^ Really can't go wrong with the Fram Ultra if the cost doesn't bother you.

Unless things have changed Champion Labs makes Delco. They did make Mobil one, but seems Mobil 1 has changed to Purolator (M+H) and Fram makes Fram.

I agree the Fram is a good choice.

Hey everyone, I have a thread over in the motor oil forum about selecting oil for this car but I wanted to talk about filters since it was brought to my attention that the AC Delco Ultraguard UPF64R may have changed and is not as good as they used to be.

Just bought a 2016 Cadillac ATS V with 35K on the clock. Still under factory warranty, oil change history is good, all done at the dealer with Dexos 5W30 oil.

Car is going to be driven hard on the street(not daily) and see about 15 track days a year. OCI will be 3-5K depending on my UOA. Stored in a heated garage.

My plan was to use the UPF64R. Cost really is not a factor here so I am open to other brands but is it true the quality has gone downhill on these?

Will the AC Delco UPF64 35psi be too much ?.

I have a 2017 V. I used a PF63 last oil change as recommended. My V doesn't see any track days just normal spirited street driving.

AC Delco filters have never given me an issue as my other car (3800) uses them and has 280k miles and runs great. I see no reason to search for another filter other than the recommended PF63. What oil do you run?

Hi guys, just wondering if the K&N filter would also be an option for the ATSV. (And on that note also what the difference between the K&N 2011/2012 is)
I am from germany and part availability for these cars is….rough.
If not, I might just order something from the US…
Oil meeting the Dexos1 Gen2 standards is pretty rare here aswell.
Any help for a new guy would be appreciated :)

Hi guys, just wondering if the K&N filter would also be an option for the ATSV. (And on that note also what the difference between the K&N 2011/2012 is)
I am from germany and part availability for these cars is….rough.
If not, I might just order something from the US…
Oil meeting the Dexos1 Gen2 standards is pretty rare here aswell.
Any help for a new guy would be appreciated :)
K&N look-up tool says the ATS-V calls for the HP-2012.

Looks like the only difference between the 2011 and 2012 is that the 2011 is ~0.7 inch longer. Open the "Specifications" tab for specs.

HP-2011 Specs:

HP-2012 Specs:

Ok thank you very much.
Are those K&N filters generally recommendable or bad compared to something like the fram ultra?

Or would you say that the oil makes a bigger difference? I mean the car will be used alot on the autobahn

Back